[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so i want to hook some LED strips to my subwoofer in my car so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

so i want to hook some LED strips to my subwoofer in my car so they blink with the bass.
>inb4 fucking ricer fuck gtfo
I've got one 500w amp and one 500w rms subwoofer with dual voice coils at 2ohms each.
how would i go about to safely wire the LED strips to my subwoofer without anything blowing or using any microphones?
i've read about adding transistors or a voltage regulator, but didnt quite understand what to do.
Any help?
>>
If you don't understand electronics you should probably leave this to someone else before you either destroy your sub, or catch your car on fire.
>>
This is probably a better question for diy
>>
File: 1295730534204.gif (11KB, 210x230px) Image search: [Google]
1295730534204.gif
11KB, 210x230px
I got no idea how to do it right, but check this out.

I've got an EVGA 1070 FTW in my rig, and I can set it to work the back light in relation to the sound, yeah? So what you can do is get one of those, and then go get a shitbox core2 dell from goodwill and stuff it in the trunk. Send your audio in through the Line In port, click 'listen to this input', then run it to your amp. After you do this, use a diode to tap off of the back light from the card and use that to trigger the light strips.

Boom, ezpz.
>>
>>16965790
i have a somewhat understanding of how electricity works.
i know the amp could be damaged from too much load or if the leds catches fire and then the subwoofer would go to hell.
thats why im asking how to safely wire it together.
>>16965802
thanks will try
>>16965791
could try to post this there then, thanks
>>
>>16965778
ricer faggot.

>putting subs in your car
underage b&
>>
>>16965868
bait harder
>>
>>16965874
i'm not baiting. subs are for niggers and teenage faggots. Once you grow up you realize they're a waste of money and you should just buy a car with a better sound system.
>>
>>16965887
>for niggers and teenage faggots
where did you grow up? detroit?
>waste of money
depending on what you want.
if you just dont give much of a shit and get one 12" 500w rms sub or something i dont consider it a waste of money.
>buy a car with better sound system
im sorry for liking older cars than you, mate.
>>
File: Shell.jpg (635KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Shell.jpg
635KB, 1440x2560px
>>16965887
I listen to 80s synthwave when I drive. A little bit of extra bass really sets the mood. Although I just took everything out of my car besides my driver seat yesterday for those sweet hp/weight ratio gains.
>>
>>16965778
Sound systems are for fucking normies. Real racers listen only to the sound of their exhaust.
>>
LED's are DC by nature. It's a light emitting Diode, so a device that will allow current to only pass one way.

LED's are polarised, being that they have polarity. There is a positive and a negative to the circuit. Most LED's really, really don't appreciate being inverse polarity.

The output of your amplifier is AC, alternating current. This means that when you wire up the positive wire of your LED to the amplifier's 'positive' terminal, you will be applying a negative potential to the positive side of the LED every half a wavelength.

Your LED is not going to like this one bit. Your amplifier output stage, which is usually pretty hardy, will probably be okay. Though you do have it arse-about; there is no such thing as 'too much load' for a solid state power amplifier. It'll try and output into a infinite impedance if it could. What hurts them is too low of a load, too low an impedance. The output transistors will attempt to pass more current than either their TDP or the heatsink's TDP, or their legs/contacts will allow.

If your LED fails and goes dead short, which it probably will, your output stage is going to have an interesting final load put on it. Especially if you wired the LED and the voice coil in parallel, that's going to dip down to a dead short across the output stage.

Best case scenario, DC crowbar opens and protects the output stage. Worst case, crowbar stays closed and your output FETs let out the magic smoke.

If you are really keen, you need to run the output through a bridge rectifier that will convert the AC signal from the amplifier to a DC signal for the LED. You should use a capacitor on the output for smoothing but that may be overkill for this situation.
>>
>>16965802
>buy a $400 gaming gpu just to have led lights sync with your audio in your car
>>
>>16965778
>i've read about adding transistors or a voltage regulator
>>16965828
>i have a somewhat understanding of how electricity works.
Please do not go designing any circuits.

The easiest thing you can do is to buy off-the-shelf LED strips that have a built-in microphone for exactly this purpose. I suggest you do this because it requires the least electronics knowledge. Just power them up, adjust the sensitivity, and you're done.

To key off the subwoofer directly, you need to pull from the audio signal pre-amp. There are some existing controllers that can do this (or even some DMX stuff would work), but it would probably require more wiring work than you should be doing.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.