[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok so I'm gonna try and condense my bitching but I really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: file.png (174KB, 500x315px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
174KB, 500x315px
Ok so I'm gonna try and condense my bitching but I really need a little push in the right direction here.

I've grown up in NYC and have never owned a vehicle. My family has used that to control and manipulate me into doing and being what they want. I finally called it quits and moved out and am staying with a family member while I get my shit together. I mention that I'm buying a used car and found the perfect one, she tells me she can get me one for cheap and to let the one I was about to close on expire. Fine.

So the one she's talking about is a 2004 Hyundai Accent 4door. When she realizes I'm serious and want the thing, she starts talking about "needing to make it safe" and has it towed to a mechanic without my permission and asks them to do "whatever is needed" to make it safe. They come up with a list of things including replacing an axle and new battery and tune up and somehow it's $900 worth of work. I go see it yesterday and it needs new oil and MAYBE the axle really is fucked, but the guys let me drive it around the lot so how bad could it really be? Battery was fine, gas was fine, it's a good little fucker.

Here's the kicker, now my family member is telling me she doesn't think it's safe to drive and is trying to stop me from taking it to my home state to register it. It's a 200mi drive and she's trying to get me to spend thousands just to get it to a place where I can then get it inspected and registered. And considering that's NY, they will try to fuck me over with a bunch of other shit, so I'll prob end up spending 3-4k for what should be a free beater.

If I have the title and the inspection is still valid through this year, can I register it in NY over the internet, then drive it there and have it inspected before the 10 day leeway period? Is this the right approach? As long as I drive it super carefully the fucking axle isn't going to fall off. Please help me /o/, you're my only hope.
>>
I like how you keep saying "family member" without specifying relationship.
>>
It's been sitting in a driveway for a year. Not great, but also not worthy of $900 worth of tuning up. The axle is only $250, I was thinking I'd do that to be safe, but leave the rest for when I get it inspected in NY

>>16965366
I'm staying with my grandmother.
>>
>>16965358
>>16965369
I'd say go for it. What else is on that list?
>>
>>16965406
Axle = $250
Tuneup = $300
Battery = $300
Maint = $50
>>
>>16965408
Nice and vague. Dont pay $300 for a battery, if it really is bad you can buy one yourself for ~100 bucks and swap it out with a 3 dollar wrench. The tuneup is likely bullshit. Maint could be something, but its probably nothing critical.
>>
>>16965408
do the axle, buy a battery at autozone and have them help you swap it, get a 20 dollar oil change.
>>
>>16965446
Not maint, labor.

>>16965454
I appreciate the advice guys, means a lot. There's been a fair amount of bullying involved in all of this and I just want my freedom.

Last question. Because I'm from the city and have no prior insurance I'm getting quoted 200-400/mo in insurance with a chance to reduce the rate at 6mos. Any recommendations for places to try? I've tried esurance and progressive and triple A and allstate so far.
>>
>>16965408
Dont worry about anything but the axle.

Rest might be on its way out, but sometimes cars will still get by fine for years like that before it becomes a safety issue.

My first car was a 99 cavalier that had basically every single light on the dash lit, check engine/brake/airbag lights all permanently lit, made all types of clunks, and tracked hard to the left.

Drove it for 2 years, didnt put a dime into it other than a waterpump. Sold it for the same 400 i paid for it. That car was indestructable.
>>
>>16965462
Look I don't know how deep you are into this car, but if I were you I'd get a car from a complete 3rd party. If they're jerking you around with other stuff, they'll use this as leverage too. Even if it's legally yours, they'll still try
>>
>>16965358
The accent is a shitty car but it is a car. If yours drives ok and it's registered just drive it.

This whole "make it safe" and diving it back to register is a game to claw you back. Hint: they don't give a fuck about you as an independent person with your own dreams and ambitions. They see you as an escaped slave. It's a toxic mindset but I've seen shitty families that work that way, IE happily trading their children's success for their own benefit.

As for insurance check for basic and bare minimum legal coverage. Forget comprehensive. This car isn't worth the $200/mo for the $500 your insurance would pay out for it.
Also it will be still somewhat expensive. You're a new driver.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.