[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /o/. I currently own a 2010 SS Camaro which I have relatively

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: i757.jpg (45KB, 800x355px) Image search: [Google]
i757.jpg
45KB, 800x355px
Hey /o/.

I currently own a 2010 SS Camaro which I have relatively low miles on and absolutely love driving, but don't want to run the miles up on as a daily. I'm really considering picking up a second vehicle as a daily, something around or under 4k.

Somewhat newer to the technical side of automotives and all. I've always loved the idea of having a VW Golf GTI, and found a few GTI VR6's around that price range, some manuals with around 100k miles. I have been told by a couple buddies that VW's are unreliable, pricey to fix, and an absolute bitch to work on. What can you guys tell me about this, is there any truth to this? Would a golf as a fun daily be a bad choice? What's the aftermarket like?
>>
only thing you have to worry about is the heater control valve, otherwise, it's pretty reliable so long as you're not retarded and decide to forgo regular maintenance (which a lot of people don't do and blame the manufacturer).

I had an MKIV Golf for DD a few years ago before it was wrecked in an accident. I had a ton of fun driving it for what it was--an econobox with decent handling.
>>
>>16927732

Are parts for them astronomically expensive? Keep hearing anything VW is stupid pricey, and hard to fix. How's the aftermarket?
>>
>>16927732
sorry bud, mk4 golfs do not have good handling
>>
>>16927760
it's not that bad, sure they're pricier than their Japanese counterparts, but it's reasonable if you know where to look. They are more tedious to work on due to the engine layout (look up the DIY on spark plugs to see what I mean).

aftermarket is decent, my go to place is ECS Tuning for almost anything (I own a MKVI Jetta now), but there are more places, all depending on what you need/want.
>>
File: VOLKSWAGENGolfIIIGTI-3529_1.jpg (419KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
VOLKSWAGENGolfIIIGTI-3529_1.jpg
419KB, 1024x768px
>>16927682
mk3 reporting in
working on it takes a lot of reading but when you get down to it its not bad
i plan on dailying it once i finish the shift linkage repair
the aftermarket is pretty ok, not jap/miat level good but still
>>
>>16927682
I've had a mk4 jetta vr6 12v for about 5 years.

What I have noticed:
1) They are about as easy to work on as any other car.
2) The parts are pricey compared to a 95 corolla but cheap compared to a modern v6 sedan
3) With good maintenance they work well for a long time.
>>
I can't stand vw's. The engineers get hammered before they design their cars and shoehorn the engines in the smallest space possible.

I also dont trust the fact the pedals are literally made of abs plastic.

And there is a reason the resell market on vw audi is so low, maintenance is mandatory and expensive so NOONE does it.

Buddy had a vr6 golf and it was a fun car tho.
>>
File: 20170112_000856-1.jpg (866KB, 2760x1812px) Image search: [Google]
20170112_000856-1.jpg
866KB, 2760x1812px
>>16927682
If it's just for a daily I would stay away from the VR6 unless it's had timing chains replaced, or water pump/ t-stat pipe. Those are the 2 main common problems and usually are an issue with that kind of mileage. T. Mk3 GTI owner
>>
File: Screenshot_20170330-090801.png (906KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170330-090801.png
906KB, 1920x1200px
Redpill me on these things.

I was at the auction when the black one rolled across, no bids at $1500 and it rolled away.

http://www.waukeganautoauction.com/inventory.aspx?lid=29705&cursort=asc&mk=Volkswagen

I almost bought it because it was so cheap.
>>
>>16928743
>all those exclamation points

>4DR HATCHBACK LOADED WITH HATCHBACK!!

what kind of fucking retard seller is that?
>>
>>16928769

I didn't even see that. They're of a foreign nature, darker complexion, kind of extra hairy.
>>
I want to buy a mk4 golf TDI and convert it to run off waste vegetable oil/biodiesel. Did I fall for a meme?
>>
>>16929222
maybe, that's what germans did in the mid-00s to save gas costs
>>
>>16929230
It's just that based on the reports people give the car either sucks or is solid and wvo/bd is overhyped or a great alternative. Sucks that this is one of the one "newer" cars that's good for this sort of conversion. This car is also hard to find in my area. It pretty much always has high mileage too. I'd rather not waste time, effort, and money if I can.
>>
>>16927682
OK, here goes

I've owned a mk4 gti for 4 years now. It's the 1.8L turbo. I bought it for $6k and had to put $4k into it...

But this is not a bad thing. I absolutely adore my mk4. Its very reliable and relatively easy to work on once you have some experience. I admit I knew very little about VWs before owning the GTI but I quickly learned everything I needed to know about it.

I haven't driven the 6 cylinder yet, I would imagine it is consistently faster but I would also assume the turbo has more acceleration. Either way, they are fantastic daily drivers. If you live in a snowy area as well, the Fwd on the gti is fantastic for snow with all weather tires.

I added a cat back exhaust and a mk4 turbo for some added torque and horsepower, this was easy to do. There are aftermarket parts for the GTI everywhere, I had a lot to choose from. I think your buddies either had a bad experience or fixing their VWs too much got the best of them.

Believe me that when you drive the car, you will know that you made the right choice. Good luck annon.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>>16927682

Eurofag reporting it.

The Mk IV GTI had the 1.8T 150 bhp engine which is okay but sensible with the turbo and sensible with the timing chain. Recommended to change the timing chain and the water pump when you buy it.
The GTI of those older days were better than the R32 due to the fact that the 3.2 is too big and heavy for the fwd Golf so it tends to be very stronk in a straight line ( hilariously fast even ), but not as agile in the bends as the GTI. Your call here on what you prefer.
I dunno bout the american Mk IV Golf, but the european one is one of the most reliable cars of all time.
>>
>>16929820

Op here. I remember taking those things in Forza and making them go as fast as possible, sent them flying around the Nürburgring. Honestly wanted a real one ever since playing in my teens.

So what I get from all this is- Water pump and timing chain, replace them when possible and then I'm good. Good strong aftermarket. Replacement parts are fairly priced. Reliable cars and fun to drive. Handling kinda sucks but I'm not going stupid crazy with it in the North Georgia mountians, more of a fun daily to play with.
>>
>>16930033
When it comes to the VR6, the timing chain is at the rear of the engine, so the transmission needs to come off to service the whole mechanism. Since you're already in there, you might as well put a new clutch in it.

Therefore, the clutch and timing chains are things that should be serviced at the same time, which is convenient because they seem to last the same amount of time.

If you can replace a FWD clutch, the timing chains are just an extra step in the whole process.
>>
>>16930556
How difficult would it be to drop the tranny?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.