/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When do car mods stop being considered 'bolt ons'?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8

File: big turbo.jpg (186KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
big turbo.jpg
186KB, 960x720px
When do car mods stop being considered 'bolt ons'? Where is the line drawn? Is custom fabrication necessary? Are bolt-ons only referring to external components which are bought and then simply bolted on to the car? What if it's part of a kit but requires cam removal? Obviously a custom-built tubular header with a custom-plumbed big turbo setup wouldn't be considered a bolt on, but there are a lot of mods leading up to this that sort of fall into a grey area. Here are a list of these grey area items I would like your collective thoughts on:

- Custom tune (obviously tunes aren't 'bolted on', but this is in comparison to an off the shelf tune
- Valve train components. Upgraded springs, etc
- Installing parts from higher-model cars that fit with little modification (S3 turbo on A4, or Q5 brake calipers on A4)
- Installing a 'kit' that requires custom installation (ie a meth injection kit, with custom mounting, routing, nozzle selection, controller settings, etc)
- Installing a custom brake ducting setup to send fresh air to your rotors via silicone tubing and NACA ducts
- Replacing a diverter valve controlled by an electronic solenoid via ECU with a vacuum-operated blow off valve, requiring rerouting of vacuum lines
- Custom exhaust

And anything else you can think of that might be in bolt-on purgatory.
>>
File: fakeenthusiastbingo.jpg (591KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
fakeenthusiastbingo.jpg
591KB, 1080x1080px
If you have to ask then it's a bolt on
>>
Oh also, what about a big turbo 'kit' that requires replacement of tons of parts, but all the fabrication and compatibility work was done by someone else like a tuning company? And all you did was buy it and 'bolt it on'. Does it matter if you did the fabrication work personally? Does it have to be a one-off part/setup?
>>
File: intercooler-rx7-002.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
intercooler-rx7-002.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
Another one: Installing a 'universal fit' intercooler onto your car. Sure, it 'bolts on', but maybe you had to fashion up some brackets from the hardware store and drill through your crash bar. Not to mention the silicone pipes and steel joiners you had to source from some shady website to get it hooked up to your stock system.
>>
>>16914319
I prefer the Vmount myself but very pretty, wouldwatchitrun/10
>>
Air Intake, headers, exhaust, wheels, coilovers are things that I would consider "bolt on".
Cams, ecu changes, head work (port and polish, stiffer valve springs, or general machine work) and turbos and superchargers fall under "non bolt on" if I had to put a label on them.
>>
Anything that uses factory fixing holes and bracketry, without any major modification or relocation of components is considered a bolt on.
>>
To me, a bolt on part is anything that's literally just bolted on or easily swapped with little more than a ratchet, impact, or screwdriver.

Once you've hit the point where the mod or your car has to be altered, fabricated, or tuned, you're no longer putting bolt on parts on your car.
>>
>>16914319
Universal fit means it designed to universally fit nothing
>>
>>16914499
Depends on the car and part, I would say. The headers on my previous Z28 for instance were a little more than a simple bolt on job considering the amount of shit I had to mess with to manipulate the headers into place.

Supercharging it seemed like changing a spare compared to it.
>>
File: kdAcYIg.jpg (766KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
kdAcYIg.jpg
766KB, 1200x900px
Is swapping in a new engine a bolt on mod? Technically I just unbolted the old one and bolted the new one in. Just was a lot of bolts.
>>
File: 1490670230652.jpg (437KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1490670230652.jpg
437KB, 1080x1080px
Damn my GC8 isn't doing bad
>>
>>16913830
simple if you have to pull the engine out to change the rotating assembly its not bolt on anymore...
>>
File: 20161022_172405.jpg (751KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20161022_172405.jpg
751KB, 1836x3264px
>>16914403

>vmount

AYYYY
>>
>>16915286
>vmount

WHYYYY
>>
>>16914789
That's a swap, and since it's several whole components of consider it separate from a mod. If you swapped intakes for a factory one that had longer runners that would be a mod.
>>
File: 1490670230652.jpg (424KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1490670230652.jpg
424KB, 1080x1080px
>>16913858
I think I did decent.

>Little tree air freshner
Hidden behind the rear view mirror because I hate having lose things in my car.
>Nobody eats
It's always better to eat at a proper place calm and relaxed.
>CAI
Doesn't change a thing besides woosh sound, I just can't be arsed to buy stock intake.
>Tune
Forged pistons, custom 3' pipe from turbo all the way out to the exhaust tip, custom ECU "tune", pump, injectors etc, so it's more than just a tuned ECU (still no Stage 1,2, etc,)
>Auto-X
meh
>Stretched tires and /or camber
It's a SAAB 9-5, the rear have camber and toe in already so it's not by choice.
>>
>>16913858
>how to spot an autist, the post
>>
>>16913830
bolt on
>made by a manufacturer
>literally all you have to do is bolt it into place

Non bolt on
>anything that requires fabrication or custom work

Not that complicated.

A tune isn't a bolt on. It's a pre-tune. Springs are a bolt on unless you made them yourself. Higher end parts that require a modification are by default not a bolt on. A kit that requires a customer installation is not a bolt on, it's an assortment of parts you have to fabricate to work. Custom brake ducting is not a bolt on unless it literally bolts into factory points. Custom exhaust is also not a bolt on....it's custom.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.