[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/o/ how do I prevent my dad from bricking his ECU. He's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: scl-7011_xl_1024x1024[1].jpg (58KB, 1024x669px) Image search: [Google]
scl-7011_xl_1024x1024[1].jpg
58KB, 1024x669px
/o/ how do I prevent my dad from bricking his ECU. He's a great mechanic and all and has done some nice work to his vehicle but now he's gone out and bought a few hundred dollar tuning kit and knowing how computer illiterate he is I'm 200% sure he's gonna brick his vehicle.

Thanks
>>
>>16905354
take your dad to a tuning shop to talk to ecu tuner man about the dangers of senior citicens attempting to ecu tune
>>
who cares, ECU's aren't that expensive
>>
>>16905364
You sure? If it's not that big of a deal, I'll just leave him to his mistakes. I'm no big mechanic or major automotive enthusiast, just a normal computer/phone tech, and if you fuck up a flash on stuff like that you generally have to replace the entire device, not sure what all you have to replace in car a though...
>>
>>16905354
Wont the dealership be able to reflash the ecu when he fucks something up?
>>
>>16905354
feign complete ignorance, even if your dad fucks it up, you have no prayer of helping him anyway.
>>
>>16905354
Have him try it on something disposable so he can fuck it up and learn it's not as easy as it looks. Then with his new found humility he can proceed to learn the art of hektic ECU tuning and be reflashing Monster Energy enthusiasts' WRXs in no time.
>>
>>16905782
If you brick it, you can't get it to turn on so you can flash it
>>
File: BenchFlash[1].jpg (190KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
BenchFlash[1].jpg
190KB, 800x600px
>>16906347
th-then how do companies flash them before they put install them in the cars?
>>
>>16906298
>feign complete ignorance,
considering he's asking 4chan I don't think he needs to pretend he doesn't know anything
>>
>>16906663
I take it you call geek squad and pay them to backup your hard-drive as well
>>
>>16906732
I only use solid state drives at this point friendo
>>
>>16906786
how big is your SSD?
>>
Ecus are designed to be fiddled with by grease monkeys who hate computers
Dont worry
>>
>>16905380
Its almost impossible to "brick" one. They aren't like your PC or phone. Tip: Save as many STOCK maps as you can, THEN modify them. Run into issues, just reload the stock tune. It's not that hard, we do it daily. We also save tunes (with descriptions) for any modified cars that come in, it makes getting a baseline on similar built cars easier. Then save time tuning from there.
>>
>>16906786
>No storage
>frequent read and write means dead ssd
Do you own a macbook or something lmao
>>
>>16906815
>frequent read and write means dead ssd
that meme is not applicable to SSD's for car use.
>>
>>16905354
There's a difference between those two things, you can be computer illiterate and still be able to make a tune.
He fucks it up, just buy a new ECU.
Try being a better son maybe?
>>
informative thread
>>
Op your dad is much more likely to blow up his engine by running it too lean or fucking with the timing too much. Don't worry about an ECU, theyre like 100 to 500 bucks. An engine is 10 times that. Get a wideband for him if you're going to try and help at all
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.