[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /o/, quick question, should a gear "click" into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: sti_5spd_knob.jpg (48KB, 950x633px) Image search: [Google]
sti_5spd_knob.jpg
48KB, 950x633px
Hi /o/, quick question, should a gear "click" into place in a manual? Just bought a 2002 WRX (Oh no, muh reliability, muh boy racer car), and the transmission shifts fine. No clunking, no grinding, no slipping or popping into neutral and the clutch works great, but I can physically feel the shifter locking into each gear. Is that normal? This is the 5th manual car I've owned so it's nothing new, and I know it's not my driving, but I've had several cars do the same thing. My Prelude, Mazda 3 and Camaro all shifted smoothly into gear, without any feeling whatsoever. My GTI and now WRX both seem to "click" (without making a noise) into gear, so it feels more connected, but I was wondering if that's a bad sign. My GTI had the same transmission/clutch for the 30k miles I owned it, and never once had a problem, it just didn't smoothly lock into gear. Should I have it checked out? Thank you.
>>
Some do, some don't in my experience. 86 300 doesn't click (there is a little chunky feedback vBecause the synchros are getting fucked but doesn't make an actual click) but my 14 gen coupe does click
>>
It means your gay has the gay

So it should fit you just fine
>>
>>16902562
So I don't have to worry that the tranny is just going to drop mid-commute? The GTI was never a problem, but then I'd drive another manual that wouldn't feel like anything at all when shifting and wonder if mine was broken. I was hoping it would just be due to the fact that it has a lightened flywheel and short throw shifter.

>>16902574
Yup, sounds about right. My vape did that before the wrx though...
>>
I found my Kia Forte Koup to be extremely notchy to the point where I fucked up shifting a couple of times. It was my first manual car and I wouldn't wish learning manual in that car upon anyone.

I have a 2013 Focus St right now and it's still notchy, but smoother. I can feel it lock into each gear but it goes willingly. Very precise and a pleasure to drive.
>>
>>16902535
I'd be more concerned if I didn't feel and hear gear engagement. Grinding is the noise you want to panic about.
>>
I've had 2 FWD cars, 2 RWD cars, and an STi. I've also driven a few Forester XTs and WRXs. Subaru transmissions have a "chunky" feel to them (and they have heavy clutches).

I'm sure it has something to do with the center and front differentials being part of the transmission - also, 2WD cars can spin the tires easily when you shock the drivetrain with torque, AWD cars with LSDs designed for grip don't spin the tires as easily so the gears often get the strain from the drivetrain shock and they design their transmissions with this in mind.
>>
>>16902611
Have you driven a manual that isn't notchy? It doesn't weird you out? It's the same way, no gears are missed, nothing slips or grinds, it just physically feels different while holding the shifter.

>>16902650
Luckily it's not grinding or making problematic noises, I've just always wondered why some are smooth as hell and some feel like they have to be clicked into place.
>>
>>16902686
Makes sense, and glad to hear it's a common thing for a Subaru. I have noticed the clutch is extremely heavy compared to VW/Audi/Honda/Mazda, but I guess the AWD vs. 2WD thing makes sense.
>>
>>16902712
Nope, the Koup and my ST are the only manual cars I've driven.

I think my point was that the Koup always had me second guessing myself whenever I shifted where as the ST has a very precise shifter. For whatever reason the reverse gear is super notchy.

I wondered about this as well. Maybe someone else can provide more insight.
>>
>>16902751
I noticed a big difference when I replaced the worn shifter in my car. I would constantly not pull all the way into 2nd gear because I couldn't feel anything. Now I feel every gear engage.
>>
>>16902535
detent pin?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.