[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi, /o/. Does anyone have any good recommendations on video series/web

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

Hi, /o/. Does anyone have any good recommendations on video series/web pages/books I can read to understand the very basic, fundamental aspects of cars? I'm looking to get my first soon, and I'd like to understand what I'm controlling.
>>
ChrisFix and EricthecarGuy on Youtube.
>>
>>16884253
Those channels were cool, but all the info is kind of scattered. I was hoping to find a video that is like a couple hours long and goes through all the fundamentals.

Oh well, guess I should start with the engine and work up from there.
>>
I learned in 2003 via howstuffworks.com

An engine is an air pump that is powered by the pressure released from burning compressed gas and air. Valves open and close at certain times to let air/gas in or exhaust out, they are opened by lobes on camshafts.

Most engines are cooled by a jacket of water around them so they don't get too hot, radiators cool this water.

The rotation of the crankshaft at the bottom of the engine is sent to the transmission which has several gears that multiply the power so you can be in the safe range of engine rotational speed at a large range of vehicle speeds.

There is a differential that splits the rotation to the left and right to go to the wheels, this has a single ratio that further multiplies power.

Is that simple enough? Too simple? I have a mech. eng. degree, have rebuilt my own engine, tuned my own turbo car's computer, and worked for 2 auto companies so I'll probably be able to explain about any question.
>>
>>16884475
Seems simple enough, I have a pretty OK understanding of how engine works, I need to learn the differences between different types of engines, gas, diesel, V8, all that shit. Don't know shit about transmission yet. Wish I had my own junker car to dissect right now.

This page on howstuffworks looks good, I'll check it out.
>>
>>16884541
>Gas v. Diesel

Gas engines ignite the air/fuel mix with a spark from a spark plug. Diesel engines have huge injectors that blast fuel into the engine and that air/fuel mix combusts simply with the high temperature and pressure of the chamber when the piston is at the top - no spark needed. Diesels produce more torque for similar amounts of fuel but have a much smaller rev range because if you rev too high the shit will just start combusting even when the piston hasn't reached the top yet.
>>
>>16884579
I see. How exactly does an engine start? Like, what is the process from turning the key to start the engine, what causes that? And stepping on the gas pedal and revving up, does that just increase the rate at which the intake and outake valves move?

I know these are probably pants on head retarded questions but I've never drove a car before in my life and never learned anything about one. My dad was into muscle cars when he was younger but never really imparted any of his knowledge to me.
>>
>>16884602
>what is the process from turning the key to start the engine
The key turns which blasts electricity to the electric starter motor which spins the flywheel, spinning the crank, moving the pistons. It simultaneously blasts fuel into the intake valves and sparks the spark plugs like crazy.

>Stepping on the gas pedal and revving up, does that just increase the rate at which the intake and outake valves move
Okay, modern cars have eletcronic gas pedals but let's look at it from a pre-2005 (but post-1980) perspective:

Pressing the "gas pedal" physically opens a butterfly valve in the intake stream called the throttle. The more it opens, the more air chambers can suck into them as the pistons are moving down. There is a sensor that detects how much air is coming in and then the computer calculates the right amount of gas to let the injectors spray into the mix. More air and fuel (in the right mix) means more energy is released by burning it, which means the piston is pushed down with more force, making the crankshaft (and your wheels) spin more quickly.
>>
>>16884634
Cool, cool. All makes sense. I had no idea cars even had an electric motor in them, lol. Thanks for all the help, I'll keep reading the article and pop back in here if I have anymore questions - if the thread is still alive.
>>
Understanding how manual transmission works is a piece of cake but god damn, automatic transmission is a headache for a noob.
>>
>>16884223
>>>/t/725510

baffles me ppl dont know this thread exists.
>>
>>16885746

holy fuck. They replaced /rs/ with /t/?! /rs/ was better though...
>>
File: 1444197838910.png (151KB, 449x442px) Image search: [Google]
1444197838910.png
151KB, 449x442px
>>16885746

Holy fuck that thread is still up

Don't use it though because it links to Kickass Torrents, which got busted last year.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.