[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What have y'all heard about the FreeValve system? I know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

What have y'all heard about the FreeValve system? I know there's only one production car using the tech, but it's China-exclusive. Is there a possibility we'll see this in other vehicles in the near future?
>>
>>16872918
But will it blow apex seals?
>>
It's relatively new but within 10 years it will be in almost all cars. Just like electric steering appeared out of nowhere and are everywhere now.
>>
In 20 years engines are going to be insane. Pneumatic valves, variable compression, jet ignition, variable geometry turbos, fuck me :)
>>
>>16873312
>variable geometry turbos
I think assisted turbos will be the future. Volvo has their compressed air system going on production diesels and a bunch of companies are exploring electric assists. Shits going to be seriously cash. Mazda is also working on laser ignition although I haven't heard anything out of them on it in awhile so who knows how well it's going.
>>
I thought Koenigsegg was toying with this?
>>
>>16873312
Emissions will clamp even harder.
>>
>>16873312
We will be mostly electric by then
>>
>>16873360
Electric cars are a meme. We'll see more serial hybrids with more and more efficient engines.
>>
>>16873341
Yeah, assisted turbos will definitely come along as well. I expect Mercedes and Renault to be the first to use them in road cars. I expect TJI will be the last real significant ignition system before someone finally wrangles HCCI.

>>16873346
They developed the tech and own the company. They showed it off years ago when it was still just a project within Koenigsegg.
>>
>>16873360
>this niggah
Electric cars will never take over, not in the Americas or anywhere else with regular cold weather and long distances between everything.
>>
File: chinese driver education.gif (2MB, 330x250px) Image search: [Google]
chinese driver education.gif
2MB, 330x250px
>trusting cheng with engineering
>let alone roads

captcha road caution
>>
>>16873381
>I expect TJI will be the last real significant ignition system before someone finally wrangles HCCI.
I'm not sure HCCI will ever totally replace spark based ignition. I know Mazda is going to have a limited HCCI capacity in their Skyactiv 2 cars but it only kicks in during constant speed cruising at lower RPMs. Assisted turbos are actually one way you could have a pure HCCI engine but that's way down the line.
>>
>>16873352
With everything that's on the horizon for ICEs that isn't a problem. F1 engines have already reached 50% thermal efficiency so it's only a matter of time before road cars get to and surpass that mark.
>>
>>16873399
>cheng engineering
Free valves techonology isnt anything new, it's just a bunch of the older feautures implented by FIAT and BMW decades ago. Christian Von Koenigsegg was just smart to make use of them.
>>
>>16873312
we already have all that.

all that is just useless shit to pad Emissions bullshit.
>>
I'm personally very excited for it, based on the torque/power & efficiency improvements it's promising. Hopefully once the technology started to appear in more new cars there'd potentially be tuning companies that'd make kits to fit older engines, in cars popular in the tuning/modidifying scene, given the power/low rpm driveability gains it could yield. There'd be some sufficient expenses in the conversion to a camless head though (all the mechanical parts, wiring, connecting it to a compatible ECU/control system and getting the car retuned to suit) so in reality I don't know if there'd be a big enough market for it.

On that note, it's been developed/prototyped/retrofitted by FreeValve in a SAAB over the last few years. An interesting article http://jalopnik.com/what-its-like-to-ride-in-a-car-with-the-camless-engine-1529865968
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.