[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why do people keep the car in gear when parked? >buy car

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 2014_Nissan_Sentra_S_CVT,_fL.jpg (20KB, 280x154px) Image search: [Google]
2014_Nissan_Sentra_S_CVT,_fL.jpg
20KB, 280x154px
why do people keep the car in gear when parked?

>buy car at carmax
>30 day warranty
>nail in tire
>get tire replaced
>go get my car
>left in fourth gear
?????

>go get car checkup
>leave car with carmax for a couple hours
>come back to collect car
>car left in first gear
>?????????????????
>>
So it doesn't roll if the ebrake fails
>>
>>16868734
Saves from having to use the e-brake

Not that it matters, that's what the brake is for. Also if you leave the car in gear and you get hit you can seriously fuck up your engine
>>
File: 1484325088467.jpg (81KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1484325088467.jpg
81KB, 640x640px
>>16868734
Automatics dont have this problem
>>
>>16868737
>>16868739
but it was on a flat surface, like a parking lot. y did he leave it in gear if the terrain was like 100% horizontal
>>
>>16868734
Some people simply do it out of habit, they have been taught to leave it in gear and they do it without knowing the reason. After all, the effect is just the same as pulling the handbrake.

My father is like that, he doesn't know why he should leave it in gear, yet he does it because that's how he has been taught and that's how he drove for the past 50 years.

The ones who found a reason to do it usually say it's because they fear that the handbrake might fail, which is an extremely unlikely situation if you ask me. Leaving it in gear gives one more fail-safe method of keeping your car still when parked.

Personally, I use the handbrake and leave it in neutral, I don't think the steel cable on my handbrake is going to fail anytime soon or at all. It will probably outlive the car itself.

There is no reason to be this autistic over what someone is used to do, if you were taught to leave it in gear and you found your car in neutral with the handbrake pulled you would have made a thread sperging about why people don't engage gears when parking.

There is no difference between using the handbrake or the gearbox to park your car
>>
>>16868756
>There is no difference between using the handbrake or the gearbox to park your car
One relies on a stretchable cable. The other relies on compression. Using both is the 'right' thing to do.

You should also point your wheels into the curb if parking along a street.
>>
>>16868796
>>16868756

you should only leave it in gear if your in an inclined parking. that way if the brake does fail the gearbox will keep it from rolling

on flat parkings theres no reason to leave it in gear since youre just risking someone bumping you and fucking up your engine
>>
>>16868796
Yes, using both is obviously the best choice, but using either one makes no difference between the two, as far as the outcome goes.

The only catch when using the gearbox is to use the lowest gear possible or it might still roll if left on an incline in a high gear
>>
Just leave it in P
>>
Use both. If the handbrake fails or you simply don't pull it up far enough (my car's does nothing even at 80%) you'll be in deep-shit legally speaking should any damage to anything or anyone occur as a result.
>>
I always disable the clutch interlock on my cars so I don't have to press the clutch to start so I always park in neutral unless on a really ridiculous san franciso tier hill because I'm used to just getting in and cranking so I've electric car'd it a few times on accident.
>>
On my saab I have to put it in reverse to remove the key.
>>
>>16868748
Because when you work in a shop and see shitboxes day in and day out you can't trust them. Who gives a fuck if it was on a flat surface, if that car somehow rolls and hits something the shop is liable for all damages. Why risk even putting yourself in that situation when you can put it in gear and have peace of mind?
>>
because i have motorcycles and they don't have parking brakes so it's just a habit

i don't really put that much thought into it
>>
>>16869676
Why would a parked bike roll away?
>>
Because that's what the law says and what schools teach.

Why is redundancy bad?

Protip: It's not.
>>
>>16868734
always park in gear so you don't get surprised when someone drives your car, either a friend or service, and you stupidly assume in neutral and end up jerking forward

first couple weeks of manual for me. oops!
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.