[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Red pill me on the 2003 Ford Explorer. There's someone near

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 2003-ford-explorer-6.jpg (141KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
2003-ford-explorer-6.jpg
141KB, 1024x768px
Red pill me on the 2003 Ford Explorer. There's someone near me selling his for 3500 euro. Should I to it?
>>
???
If you like it, buy it, it's quite simple, no?
>>
>>16861260
Euro?
So that means you are in yurop

Cheap car, but where the fuck do you think parts will come from, and at what cost? The car itself is solid but in Europe you need overnight parts from Freedom.
>>
>>16861306
That's a good point, but Ford is one of the biggest car brands here as well.

I presume the car will have done around 240.000km. Are there any reliability issues I should keep in mind when buying a second hand Ford Explorer?
>>
>>16861328

Is it the 4.0L v6? If so I'd pass. It will shit the timing chain guides any time with that mileage, and if the rear ones go (yes that fucking motor has a timing chain front and rear, bastardized piece of shit that it is) that is an engine out job. Transmissions are flaky as well. Front ends are short lived, as are wheel bearings. On top of all that you're going to have more troubleshooting and expense getting parts. Run, don't walk, away.
>>
>>16861328
Ford Europe and Ford US
ARE NOT THE SAME THING
>>
>>16861371
>Is it the 4.0L v6?
Yes it is. Thank you for the warning.

I think I'll pass up this opportunity then.
>>
>>16861380
Not to mention they drive and feel like shit by now.

Early-Mid 00s American Cars did not age well at all and could've been argued to be at the end of their malaise era.

The only trucks from that time period you could consider as "gud" are GMT800 Tahoes/Suburbans/Yukons but even they aged badly, the brakes/steering on some I've driven is outright scary. The GMT900 that came after feels way better
>>
I own an '05 explorer. It's the same gen as the '03.

Pass up on it if you can. In the last 3 years I've had to replace the dent wheel bearings (twice), upper ball joints, rotors, tire pressure sensors, and thermostat housing. The transmission is scaring me on a daily basis it bumps and bangs when I'm decelerating and it shifts gears between 3000 and 4000 rpm.
>>
>>16861260
That's not a twingo
>>
>>16861260
Get the larger engine or don't bother. The smaller one is totally dogshit. Also don't buy one that isn't 4WD
>>
>>16861260
Pass it up, OP. Mine kept fucking breaking, first it was the brakes, then it was the ball joints, then the AC went out, and it didn't even have 4wd. It was an 05 model and broke more than my 90 suburban. Fucking modern cars are the worst.
>>
>>16861954
It's >>16861871 here. I forgot to mention my AC/ heat is shit too. The fan doesn't work unless it's on the highest setting and the thing still blows out mild air
>>
>>16861871
>>16861954
Well fuck, did you have the larger engine or not?
>>
>>16861260
3500 Euros is insane for an 03. They can barely pull $4000 in perfect shape here.

As noted, the things eat wheel bearings. It's not uncommon for them to need all four at the same time. They're also a pain in the ass to do. 02-04's had problems with the ring gears wearing and causing a whine. This happened on all Ford trucks with the 8.8 and coincided with a manufacturing change of the ring gears.Odds are good that it's been corrected by now. The 5R55E trans had issues with the steel servo piston shafts wearing the bores out on the aluminum case prematurely and causing all sorts of weird shifting concerns due to internal leakage. The fix was originally a new case, then Ford came out with a bushing kit but that still required trans removal and disassembly. Now there are servos with o-rings on the shaft and those can be installed with the trans in the vehicle if the situation is caught early. The 4.0 SOHC had a problem with the timing chain tensioner shoe for the RS head breaking and then the RS head skipping time. If caught early then it was just a tensioner cartridge. If it broke then the engine had to be removed and the RS head had to be pulled. If it skipped time then usually the engine was replaced because that tended to damage pistons. They rattle like hell from the RR of the engine compartment when the tensioner breaks due to chain slap. One of the A/C door actuators like to break and it's on the back of the evaporator case so the whole dash and evaporator case. has to come out. May as well put in a new heater core and evaporator while you're there. Door lock actuators like to die a lot too. Oh and you do have to tach it up pretty good with the 4.0 just driving around and it doesn't make sweet sounds.Thrashing tractor engine is more like it. ride isn't that good either. My 2001 WJ Grand Cherokee is smoother and it has straight axles for christ sake.

In all, not a recommended buy.
>>
>>16861260
auto transmissions on these things are trash
>>
>>16862412
I have the smaller engine on mine
>>
02-05 Explorers are some of the worst vehicle Ford has ever built, 5 seconds on google would have told you this.
>>
Its shit dont buy it, eats gas more than you would expect from a suv this size
>>
I have a 2004 with the 4.6 and 200k miles on it. I haven't had it that long, and the boots on the upper ball joints are toast but it's still tight. If this is the worst Ford has to offer, I'm OK.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.