[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

soup /o/tto, I have the opportunity to buy a 2008 Dodge charger

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8

File: 1.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
soup /o/tto,

I have the opportunity to buy a 2008 Dodge charger police interceptor with the 5.7 hemi and 105,000 miles. It comes with the diablo tuner that my uncle had for his 300c.

The cops ripped the big metal police center console apart to get the light bar and computer shit out, and now the headlights cut on and off over bumps. Expensive fix for a corner shop mechanic? I work 70hr weeks so Im not even gonna try.

Seller is my uncle, price is 5000 bucks. I need another car here soon and Id rather it be something that can roast the tires than a camry or accord.

I test drove it today, harsh ride from the cop suspension, but it shifts firm in every gear, and it didnt blow blue or white smoke on startup. It ticked for about 3 sec on startup then sounded butter smooth.

What do ya think its current value is, and cost to sort the headlights?
>>
File: 2.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>
File: 4.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>
$5k is an alright deal. Keep in mind that police cars have zero resale value. Headlights sounds like a ground wire issue. I really wouldn't expect this car to last very long before having problems. If you want a reliable police car, buy a Crown Victoria for $1500
>>
>>16858141

What are those lights on the sideview mirrors, flood lights or turn signals?

Those are really fucking cool, do you have pics of them at night?
>>
File: 5.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
From the research ive done, a basic hemi RT first gen goes for like 8 grand private party.
This has better suspension ( other than being taller for ground clearance) better brakes, monster cooling systems, heavy duty alternators, etc...

On the negative side it has 105k likely hard ass cop miles. But then again its also likely been serviced regularly, unlike civilian models.

Also the wiring. I dont need to come out to a goddamn car fire one day.

So I dont know the value compared to the others. halp pls.
>>
>>16858141
Hell no. Get a civic for 3k or a mint panther.
>>
>>16858191
They're emergency lights but guessing they're disconnected.

>>16858198
You only buy a police car for the suspension and engine, $5k for a car that can go 0-60 in 5.5 seconds isn't a bad deal. Always have money set aside for problems, front end and transmission are problematic with these Chargers.
>>
>>16858185
I wouldnt care about resale, if it lasts me a year or two I will be thrilled.

I know all about crown vics, my uncle has like 5. He flips cars he gets at auctions, thats where all these cars you see are from. He gets 90k to 130k milage crown vics for $700 to $1200 all day, and then redguards buy them for $2k.

Unfortunately the girlfriend wont be caught dead in a crown vic, and she is kicking in $2500 and going on the title with me. I wish females could admire practicality.

>>16858191
I wish, the switch to turn them on was likely in the center console, which is now a semi enclosed metal box full of wires in between the seats.
>>
>>16858245
How do you work 70 hours a week and can't afford a $5k car?
>>
File: 1281938936290.jpg (78KB, 540x366px) Image search: [Google]
1281938936290.jpg
78KB, 540x366px
>>16858245
>girlfriend
>buying car together
>both names on title

BOI U BOUT TO FUCK UP
>>
>>16858227
The trans shifted hard today on the two highway pulls I did, from first gear up to about 110mph.

I hear you though, the transmission is my biggest worry, on all used cars.

I can deal with suspension crap, im friends with about 30 shade tree mechanics, and Ive actually done ball joints myself before. I work on motorcycles; I have 4 project bikes including a turbo bandit 1200.
>>
>>16858245
>buying a car WITH a girlfriend

Uh, dont do that.
>>
>>16858264
I squander money on toys like computer part, guitars, and turbo kits. Also I live in the second highest cost of living regions and the goddamn gov takes 1/3 of my money. And I do have $5000+ in the bank.

Plus, I already have multiple cars, this is just one that me and the girlfriend can buy together, because she needs a car, and I need another toy that can do 165mph.
>>
File: jamesmay.jpg (23KB, 446x251px) Image search: [Google]
jamesmay.jpg
23KB, 446x251px
>>16858321
>>
File: 1285733628309.jpg (3MB, 3504x2336px) Image search: [Google]
1285733628309.jpg
3MB, 3504x2336px
>>16858294
>>16858271
I know, believe me. But I'll wager $2500 for her. I need to know if I one day would feel comfortable with her being able to take half my assets, so this is a good test.
>>
>>16858264
probably has other obligations more important than the car

>>16858245
darn, they would be pretty damn awesome if you wired them up again one day

$5k seems fine for the car, since its your uncle ask for a dealll

The wire is probably a loose connection, but it can be a pain to fix, just unplug the headlight from the assembly and plug it back in, if the issue persists then it's something to do with the wiring to the battery, fuse box, or a number of things.

This is pretty easily fixed if you just get a new wiring harness and disregard the old system completely, and hook up the wiring harness to the battery itself.

I'm not exactly sure how much itll cost for a new harness, but I think its $5 you'll also need a new socket harness i think, should be same price or about there

http://www.autozone.com/exterior-lighting/wiring-harness/putco-headlight-wire-harness/377809_0_0

and then just use that to connect to your headlight directly.

like in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoRcjT2oN5k

but yeeeeeeeeee

it isn't gonna cost much in parts, its gonna be the labor, but it doesn't look too complicated.
>>
>>16858370

oh and this video for the wiring harness to the light

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHql9CZHN1g&t=156s

and heres the optional brand new headlight assemblies you can buy

https://www.carid.com/2007-dodge-charger-headlights/spec-d-ccfl-halo-led-projector-headlights-82926491.html

but i checked ebay and theres some factory ones for $60

but yeah it wont cost more than a $100 to just fix the wiring, labor included, and if you want to just get brand new everything for your lighting you can expect to spend around $200 for new/used factory system, or $300 - $400 for something like spec-d
>>
File: cec.jpg (76KB, 680x877px) Image search: [Google]
cec.jpg
76KB, 680x877px
>>16858321
>goddamn gov takes 1/3 of my money.
that's everybody stupid.
You said you only need it to last a year...
Sounds like you want this car and just want approval.
Buy the car, br/o/ you will have fun.
BUY IT!
You will have fun.
After a few weeks of ownership you will forget the naysayers on this board.
When it breaks down you will learn something about cars/life
You're going to buy it, so just buy it.
Welcome to your first step towards the rest of your life.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.