[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

No matter how hard I try, I can't get to 3rd gear without

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: tending memes.jpg (42KB, 500x488px)
tending memes.jpg
42KB, 500x488px
No matter how hard I try, I can't get to 3rd gear without jerking the car. Is this my fault or part of the synchronization on this fucking vehicle? I try to ease a bit off the gas before clutching but it seems unless I bring it to 3500, it'll have a jerk going from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd.
How do I prevent this without accelerating like a fucking grandma?

Also, since I'm here:
Can I do overdrive fifth at 1800RPM or is that straining the engine?
Can I remove my gear selector without clutching or is that straining the actual transmission?
Is keeping the RPMs under 2000 worse or better for fuel?
>>
>>16857715
Release the clutch slower after you shift and don't take too long to shift.

Don't pull the shifter out of gear without the clutch in.
>>
>>16857826
why not? sometimes if i just give it a small pull, it disconnects easily without use of the clutch
>>
>>16857883
Learn the basics of driving manual you fucking idiot
>>
>>16858421
You should be able to put it into neutral without the clutch if you're slowing down without engine braking. Sometimes, they slide very calmly out of gear so
>>
>>16858445
>slowing down without engine braking

So costing with the clutch in? Which you shouldn't be going in the first place?
>>
>>16858721
*coasting
>>
>>16858445
What. No.
4th gear slowing to a red light. When it hits 1000RPM, you just slide the gear out of fourth and into neutral and brake the rest of the 15mph down to 0.
>>
>>16858721
Why not?
>>
>>16859914
Because what if you need to accelerate suddenly? Also it's classed as 'failure to maintain control of your vehicle' in a driving assessment.

Unless you're moving at super low speed you shouldn't be coasting for any length of time.
>>
>>16859977
If you're approaching a stop sign with nobody in front of you, then you won't. And every gear besides first is synchronized to the wheels, iirc.
>>
>>16860112
>in front of you
>what is all around you
>>
File: IMG_20170319_141557.jpg (27KB, 236x315px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170319_141557.jpg
27KB, 236x315px
lmao at being legal to drive a manual with this little knowledge in freedomland
>>
>>16857715
Learn to let the clutch pedal out properly and work on developing muscle memory for managing the two pedals together. Understand what you're doing with the motion mechanically and you should improve.
>>
>>16860182
Give me a situation where you would need to accelerate suddenly as you're approaching a stop sign with nobody in front of you.
>>
>>16862225
Carjackers when you're at "1000rpm in 4th gear"
>>
>>16861864
Then answer the last three questions without being wrong
>>
>>16857715
>Can I do overdrive fifth at 1800RPM or is that straining the engine?
You're fine. You can do it at 800RPM/normal idle if you really want
>Can I remove my gear selector without clutching or is that straining the actual transmission?
It'll wear out your synchros faster.
>Is keeping the RPMs under 2000 worse or better for fuel?
Typically better. But engine braking at 1500RPM and engine braking at 6500RPM use the same amount of fuel.
>>
>>16857715
A couple of questions? What type of car/truck is it and what engine? The jerking of the car can be a couple things but there is a smooth point where the engine rpm matches the rpm of the transmission and the gear can be shifted in or out without the clutch, and at this point there shouldn't be any jerking. Keep in mind that if you aren't in that sweet spot you will cause unwanted grinding or stress on the synchro and that is why it is not suggested unless you know exactly what you are doing. You can usually feel that point in the car, its the point in between when the engine is pulling the car faward and before then engine compression starts slowing the car down. At that point if you ease the clutch in it should be nice and smooth.

As far as fifth at 1800, it just depends. some motors have enough torque the engine has at that point. It you have to apply a lot of throttle to hold your speed then you may want to jump down to 4th. Another tell would be if you can feel the engine vibrate or shake more then normal, which is a sign that it's struggling. If neither of these things happen then you should be good.
>>
>>16862225
Looking in your rear view mirror and seeing someone on their phone about to plow into you.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.