[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /o/ Is there a way to mod the 351 cleveland to be manual

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: ram it in ur aas.jpg (36KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
ram it in ur aas.jpg
36KB, 500x500px
So /o/

Is there a way to mod the 351 cleveland to be manual variable displacement? It's basically my engine wet dream
>>
>>16847232
>filename
heh heh
>>
Anything is possible with enough time, skill, and money.

You'd have to multiport fuel inject it, and program the computer to drop cylinders.

Done and done.
>>
>>16847273
yeah i was thinking just having switches put in in the dash. The car I'll modify is and Ford Falcon XD, from the early eighties. So no decent car computer here. Anyone have some good diagrams as to how it might work?
>>
>>16847232
>variable displacement

Short answer: No.

Long answer: It's possible with enough money, time, and know-how. However, it's not going to be worth it. Assuming that you're talking about cylinder deactivation and not physically changing the dimensions of the bore or stroke, it would require a transition to electronic fuel injection and programming an ECU to run everything. From there you can program the ECU to deactivate cylinders as needed.
>>
>>16847311
Youll never get it done
Cant you swap in an engine already setup for this?
>>
>>16848936
This guy has it right. If you have to ask if it's possible the closest you'll get is deactivating cylinders. You won't be able to modify a 351C to have a variable stroke.
>>
>>16847311
fuel is cheap enough and with tall gearing and light foot you should get 400km to a tank ez

or do you just want to do it 'just because'?
>>
Put 302c heads on it, big cam, straight gas and a single plane high rise manifold. Holley 4 barrel base with an impco 425 mixer and e series converter. Throw a california customs air ram and a good filter on top. Hook it up to an FMX & a 9" and you're laughing.

Fuck variable displacement.
>>
How about just stealing a gay AF L98 out if a VE commodore.
>>
>>16847273
>You'd have to multiport fuel inject it, and program the computer to drop cylinders.
Hmmm could you go with dual carbs and kill fuel to one of the carbs and make it a v4? I have no idea what the firing order is.. just kind of curious.

Cylinder deactivation really only seams to work with valve manipulation though.
>>
>>16849146
No that doesn't work
>>
>>16849146
All that would accomplish is shutting down air\fuel for the engine from that carb, forcing the other one to work over time.

The answer to your question is: Do you want to spend upwards of 6-8k on this? If yes, sure. Someone out there can custom-tune a blank ECU to do exactly what you're asking for, install it and wire it up.

The real answer is you can swap in a 5.7 HEMI engine that does this on it's own, or one of the Ford V8's that does this. You'll save 3-4k on it going this route.

Why do you have such an autistic dream?
>>
>>16847232
Technicly cou could build a special type of clutch in the middle of your crankshaft to disconect 4 pistons from it, wich would reduce your displacement by 50%.
But that would be insanely complex and would rquire EFI or seperately controlled carbs.

I would suggest you to go with a EFI conversion and deactivate fuel flow to some cylinders or use a manifold like in your pic and cut fuel flow to one carb with a solenoid.
>>
>>16849146
>Cylinder deactivation really only seams to work with valve manipulation though.
This. Just shutting fuel off isn't going to do shit.
>>16847232
If you want variable displacement, start with with the smallest possible Windsor/Cleveland you can legally have fitted to your XD, and put a small turbocharger on it. Off throttle it breaths like its standard displacement, and WOT @ 0.5bar (a little over 7psi) it'll be breathing like it's 50% bigger. A turbocharger is like displacement when you want it without the needlessly complex valvetrain and engine management.
>>
>>16847232
Run it on CNG instead. Far more fun.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.