[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Seeing as how modern day cars are getting more and more computerized

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 1486032108058.jpg (38KB, 575x431px) Image search: [Google]
1486032108058.jpg
38KB, 575x431px
Seeing as how modern day cars are getting more and more computerized fin almost every aspect (touchscreens, computerized engines, etc), what will happen when these cars become classics? How would someone even begin to be able to repair an electronic bug or glitch? How do you even replace major electronics? Might be a stupid question, but my only experience with working on cars comes from my 2001 Dodge Dakota.
>>
>what is OBD2
>>
Soldering iron
>>
>>16845501
> what will happen when these cars become classics?
They won't. They're appliance vehicles designed to be thrown away every decade. Most of them are devastatingly expensive to repair shit right now.
>>
File: 1488613953189.jpg (239KB, 1150x575px) Image search: [Google]
1488613953189.jpg
239KB, 1150x575px
>>16845789
Yep.
>>
Engines have been controlled by computers since before you were born
>>
>>16845789
are you people fucking retarded or something.

computers are really not that hard to fix or program
>>
>>16845789
This
>>
Lead free solder will be the death of many ageing ECUs
>>
>>16845501
you get a new car like youre supposed to
>>
>>16845501

I doubt ICE's will even be legal 25 or 50 years from now. Especially places that already have Nazi like emission standards.
>>
>>16845501
replacement parts aren't a new idea

what happens when the hinge on your passenger sun visor from your 1955 Cadillac rusts out?

you buy a new one

NOS, re-manufactured parts, close fits from other years

this isn't a new issue, it's just changed from odd mechanical parts for rare cars to odd electrical parts
>>
>>16846237
for the average person, yeah they are
>>
>>16846237
>are you people fucking retarded or something

Yes. I cannot understand any tiny about computers. They eat electricity and do magic. Some times a can plug things in to change how my car acts. That's about all I know
>>
>>16846445
Lots of people think the same way about the combustion engine.

>fuel goes in zoom comes out
>you can't explain that!

If you wanna learn it, you can learn it.

Having said that, the average person cannot do dick all if the CPU shits the bed, even if they know lots about it. Same reason very few people "fix" a motherboard; it's cheaper to replace it than it is to take the time to figure out exactly which capacitor/component is gone wrong and hoping it was the only thing that got damaged. Just replace the whole unit.

And as far as reprogramming, most CPUs are locked by the manufacturer so that you can't do that without their special tools and software.. So again, it does limit you. But repairing wires and replacing computers is no more complicated than repairing hoses and replacing brakes, for example. It's just different.
>>
>>16846237
Kill yourself my man
>>
File: buick-grand-national-03.jpg (194KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
buick-grand-national-03.jpg
194KB, 1600x1067px
>>16846038
love me some grand nationals
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.