[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I own a 2016 Golf R (DSG) outright. I've grown displeased

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: asdf.jpg (218KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
asdf.jpg
218KB, 1080x1080px
I own a 2016 Golf R (DSG) outright. I've grown displeased with the ride quality (mine is non-DCC), throttle response and non-linear brake pedal actuation.

Should I address these issues or trade for a different vehicle? I was thinking about a new Mustang GT, Camaro SS or potentially a Cadillac CTS V-Sport. I would prefer something with instant power, a comfortable ride that can still corner pretty well. I'd like to buy American if possible.
>>
>>16842331
why are you worried about the ride quality of a "hot hatch"?
I have a GTI and I take the good with the bad. You bought a car knowing full well the ride would be questionable. As for the throttle response...? I have no idea what you're doing. Peak torque in the GTI is at 2400RPM or so, so how the hell are you not able to accelerate when you've got 60 more horses?
>>
>>16842344
To elaborate on the throttle response, I mean the R doesn't exactly have instant power - there are times I've need to GTFO either to pass or merge, have slammed the pedal only to wait an eternity for a downshift and then boost to build. It's that single context that has discolored the experience for me. Slowing down, trying to merge across traffic in a metropolitan area is painful. People give no consideration to turn signals, and instead speed up so that you don't impede them. So, while slowing down to try and get into an exit lane, you might suddenly need power to speed up and change lanes - and it feels absolutely laggy. Maybe less so in Sport mode. I haven't tuned my R, not sure if that would fix the issue. Also, the R has a larger turbo and takes longer to spin up.
>>
>>16842369
The larger turbo might be the cause of that, because my GTI has almost immediate response all the time. Now granted I also have the performance pack with the DSG, so the tune might be a factor. If I'd have to make a suggestion, I'd say you should drive it in "manual" mode and keep boost for the occasions where you need the 300hp. Do you just cruise around in D? Sport seems to be too much for me to drive around in all the time, and D isn't enough, so I often use the manual setting to keep at least a little bit of boost
>>
>>16842331
I have a 14' Mustang GT and my father has a 15' Golf R with a DSG. You can easily address the throttle response with an APR tune and/or a turbo muffler delete. The turbo on the R is 54 mm if I remember correctly. A 2.0 takes a while to spool that thing.

You have a VAG product with a DSG, you can tune these things to be complete monsters. I can never buy a performance car and leave it stock. Even my 5.0 is modified to alleviate some of the annoying issues that come stock (Short shifter, bracket, one piece driveshaft, ECU tune, etc)

If you're too mechanically retarded to modify your current car, and want American muscle, you need to realize that a naturally aspirated still lags. My 5.0 makes most of its power from 4k-6500 rpms. Anything below that is generally lack luster and boring.

Id you want a new V8, the new Mustang GT is coming out in July, so I'd wait to see what that brings. I've driven the new SS and I still preferred my 5.0.
>>
>>16842331
>automatic
kill yourself.
>>
>>16842369

in that context, why aren't you just downshifting it yourself
>>
>>16843353
Good points. I'm not mechanically retarded, just hesitant on the APR tune as I've heard there were many bad IS38s that failed very shortly after tuning. I'm only around ~7500 miles, was hoping mine would fail under warranty if it happened.

New mustang in July could drive down prices on older ones, didn't know that. I was looking at a 15' GT PP in Guard Green.

>>16844160
No thanks. I've had ~16 cars, most of which were manual. City driving is not pleasing in a manual. When you move out of your grandmother's basement, you'll learn this.

>>16844339
That'd make sense, or even having it in Sport mode would probably work - but you don't always have the foresight to do these things. It's sincerely a safety issue IMO. It's really only a problem in SHTF scenarios, which happen a lot on DFW roads and highways.
>>
>>16842331
if you can get into something you actually want without losing your shirt I would say go for it.

I don't know where you live, but where I do (Vancouver) those cars are selling like hot cakes and you see them EVERYWHERE, so I imagine it would be similar other places making it an easy sell. If not, I think any new car dealer would be foaming at the mouth to take it on trade.

What engine do you plan on getting if you're going to buy one of the pony cars? If you go with the forced induction 4 cylinder engines you may be disappointed to find out the share some of the traits you're looking to ditch to golf because of
>>
File: 1487634384369.png (460KB, 979x735px) Image search: [Google]
1487634384369.png
460KB, 979x735px
>>16844598

i haven't driven a DSG car extensively, but don't you just slap the pedal once to downshift?

regarding ride quality you could just bag your car like most VW enthusiasts, it won't even handle bad thanks to the advancements made to air suspension recently.
>>
>>16844904
>pedal

paddle*
>>
>>16844598
>hurr durr traffic is sooo hard
Pussy. You don't deserve a sports car.
>>
>>16845376
Good thing he doesn't have one then
>>
>>16842369
You want instant torque and throttle response then you need to let the ICE die and get an electric car.
>>
>>16842331
My dad had a golf r and I thought it was pretty rad, he however traded it for the Audi.

The appeal of the Golf R is that it looks like a boring family car. Cops will basically ignore you in it unless you are being totally rediculous. If you were doing the same in a Mustang or Camaro they are more likley to ticket you just because they look at those and think sports car.

You can also get groceries and drive around people in the Golf R.

>>16845979
ohhhh s hittttt.

But in all reality the automated manuals do better on the track, even though they aren't as fun.

I would think the Cadillac is a signifacnt upgrade. Maybe you want the CTS with the big engine and not the V so you get teh soft ride with a sporty engine.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.