[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it clutch before gas or gas before clutch? The way I was taught

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 1489026907186.gif (1MB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
1489026907186.gif
1MB, 380x380px
Is it clutch before gas or gas before clutch? The way I was taught to drive was to always release the clutch to the biting point before taking my right foot off the brake and easing on the accelerator. This is the only way to take off from a hill without rolling back, but in general, do you guys mostly give it gas before you release the clutch or always release the clutch before you give gas like in a hill start?
>>
>>16815442
At the same time/gas first. I've never heard of this near-stall method of yours.
>>
>>16815442
unless your car has hesitation problems, it should be done at the same time,

You should be pushing down on the accelerator at the same time as you're letting the clutch pedal out, unless its a hill start.

>clutch to the biting point before taking my right foot off the brake and easing on the accelerator

You have that backwards, you need a little more gas than usual so the car can build up enough momentum to over come the hill, so its more like let the clutch up, and then give it gas a fraction of a second before hitting the bite point.
>>
>>16815461
My gasoline powered Honda can take off with just the clutch if you hold it for a couple of seconds before letting go. Obviously if you want to take off from a stop at an appreciable rate of acceleration, you'll want to give it gas, but bringing the clutch up to the bite point before you give it gas won't stall the car.
>>
How do you actually consciously think like this if you've been driving a manual car for more than a week?

>hmmm, do I breathe in, hold it, then breathe out through nose?
>breathe in through nose and out through mouth?
>instantly breather out through both mouth and nose?
>>
File: 1474429298770.jpg (58KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1474429298770.jpg
58KB, 300x225px
When I first learned to drive stick, I was taught to raise the revs up to 1,500 rpm and slowly release the clutch while adding gas to keep revs approx. 1,500 rpm.

I find I release the clutch and give it gas at approx. the same time. But I've owned my car for 5+ years so I've gotten it down pretty well. In unfamiliar cars i'll rev it up a bit then start letting the clutch out from there.

pic unrelated
>>
>>16815480
You're burning your clutch.
>>
>>16815477
For the hill starts, the reason why I bring up the clutch first is to prevent rolling back before I accelerate. If I were to accelerate before bringing up the clutch, I would already be rolling back into another car if it was a steep incline.
>>
>>16815442
gas then clutch always
>>
>>16815496
No you wouldn't if you were skilled enough,

You should be on the gas first but like I said its a fraction of a second before you're at the bite point of the clutch.
>>
>>16815508
The point is to make the transition as quickly as possible to minimize clutch burn.

Holding it at the bite point longer than needed, means you're wearing the clutch more.
>>
>>16815493
How are could you be burning your clutch by rolling at idle RPMs? First time I hear about this. Yeah, I know it causes wear, but so does every other instance when your clutch is partially engaged. Isn't clutch burn something that occurs when you ride the clutch or when you rev too high while riding the clutch?
>>
>>16815442

>you put your right foot in
>you take your left foot out
>you do the hokey-pokey
>and you turn it all around

that's about it
>>
>>16815487
>>16815442

>keep at 1500RPM

this is good for beginners before they get a feel for RPMS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcWEIJGehXU
>>
File: 1473105272420.jpg (18KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1473105272420.jpg
18KB, 320x240px
>>16815610
Every time you slip the clutch (i.e. taking off from a stop sign) you're technically causing clutch wear. The longer the clutch isn't fully engaged, the more wear you're causing. If the pedal isn't fully up or fully down, you're "burning" the clutch

Sure its minimal, but over the years is where it starts to accumulate

more pokemons
>>
>>16815675
I love this guy's videos.
>>
>>16815442
You were taught the right way.

The method can differ a little, depending on your load and vehicle. With my diesel truck I can quite simply release the clutch fully on pretty much any hill with little to no load, while I have to use the traditional method with a heavy load or when towing
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.