[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it really that bad to rev an engine? If I'm just doing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Hwq577i-1.png (336KB, 782x588px) Image search: [Google]
Hwq577i-1.png
336KB, 782x588px
Is it really that bad to rev an engine?

If I'm just doing some short bursts at a red light or something, I should be fine right?
>>
>>16803568
Enjoy your burnt differential!
>>
>>16803568
Why the fuck would you think revving is bad? You shouldn't let it go excessively high when cold but when it's at op temp you can do whatever, as long as you don't lug it or rev it to valve float (past redline)
>>
>>16803568
Quite the opposite. If you don't rev your engine regularly carbon may build up.
Just don't redline when the engine is cold.
>>
>>16803599
>>16803604
I don't know, that's what a bunch of people say.

I do know that it's bad to rev it when the engine's cold.
I've only ever revved it up to like 3000rpm at the most when parked. My car's tachometer reaches the red part at 7000pm, so I can basically go up to ~7000rpm when the engine is warm and everything will be fine?
>>
>>16803632
once it's warm you can rev it till it goes BAM BAM BAM
>>
>>16803604
once i used my mother's car and it smelled funny when i started hitting higher rpm ranges. is it this carbon thing burning?
>>
>>16806120
You smelled burnt oil
>>
>>16803568
nah m8
i have a 1ltr shitbox that i have rev'd to the moon every single time im in it. 5k launches, 9k gear changes. never misses a beat, 30kmiles of abuse and it runs just like when i got her. i idle it for like 10 minutes while i have a smoke first tho
>>
I've been redlining cars, doing burnouts bouncing off the limiter for years. I've owned my current miata for 8 years, it has 223k miles on it, I redline it every fucking time I drive and I haven't had a single issue. I always let it warm up first, of course. Shit, it even has 20+ hours of track time in which I WOT-redlined (wide-open-throttle) every goddamn shift.

Bring this video to 6:10 and see what I mean (this is me):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj9Cm33ba1E
>>
>>16803632
Yeah, easily. The car will cut either spark or fuel to prevent over-revving anyway.
>>
>>16803632
>, so I can basically go up to ~7000rpm when the engine is warm and everything will be fine?
Yes, and arguably good for the car to do a few high rpm full throttle pulls per fill up.
>>
>>16806135
Is that bad?
>>
>>16806406
No its oil deposits that dont normally get burned off during sedate driving, such as oil that may have made it down near the exhaust or another very hot part of the engine just burning off. Its oil burning on the exterior of the engine that youre smelling its not like it sprung a leak from you hauling ass
>>
>>16806240
why
>>
>>16806479
Burns off carbon deposits, helps to clean injectors because they're under full pressure, jiggles loose any engine sludge so it can sit at the bottom of the oil pan instead of inside the engine, burns off oil and carbon deposits in exhaust due to higher temperatures.

Running your car at 7000rpm for 6 seconds is almost equal to running your car at 3500 rpm for 12 seconds. Same amount of revolutions in the engine.
Reving to redline while accelerating or at a stop when the car is warmed up is perfectly fine for the engine and can help clean it out.
Just don't cruise around at high rpm or it'll be like putting extra miles on the engine.

One of the best methods to clean out carbon deposits consists of reving your engine into high rpm and spraying water into the intake. Doesn't hurt the engine at all unless you're pouring buckets of water into the engine.
>>
File: zPmAVU6.png (569KB, 624x479px) Image search: [Google]
zPmAVU6.png
569KB, 624x479px
>>16806120
>is it this carbon thing burning?
Have you seriously never heard of carbon? How is one of the most common elements on our planet something you are just finding out about? The fuck kind of education did you have?
>>
>>16806212
In my WRX, which people claim is "unreliable," I redline that bitch with full boost at least once or twice every time I drive it. I figure that's how it was meant to be driven, so why not? Hasn't broken the engine/turbo/gearbox in 50k miles so far (180k on original everything) but I don't launch it because I know WRX transmissions are glass.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.