[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the hell is this? Under the Ford Econoline 150, '88.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20170309_161717.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170309_161717.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
What the hell is this? Under the Ford Econoline 150, '88. Engine is about 5l capacity. Aaaand there is fuel wire connected to this shit.

Halp?
>>
>>16800230
EVAP canister.
>>
>>16800230
Charcoal canister?
>>
>>16800230
Looks like a rust bucket charcoal canister. Mandatory shit in CA
>>
File: vacuum.jpg (122KB, 660x495px) Image search: [Google]
vacuum.jpg
122KB, 660x495px
Charcoal Canister is the black plastic item just in front of the rusty can. The appearance of the rusty can is consistent with a Ford vacuum reserve canister. Pic related.
>>
>>16800579
>>16800248
Thanks for help!
Are those things are necessary to get the car works?
>>
>>16800230
Its refried beans.
>>
>>16800720
No but it prevents your gas from evaporating out of the tank somehow.
>>
>>16800720
Charcoal canister absorbs fuel vapor from tank and engine when vehicle is off. When the vehicle is running and warmed up a canister control valve is opened and engine vacuum sucks the vapors out of the canister to be burned. Makes a minor difference in fuel economy and a bigger difference in emissions and perceived gas odor when sitting. Otherwise vehicle will run fine without it.

The vacuum canister is to provide a source of vacuum (yeah, yeah, I know. it's easier to write this way just deal with it) for vacuum operated devices such as mode doors in HVAC systems. Without it you'd probably find the A/C stops blowing out the vents and goes up onto the windshield under acceleration and then back to the vents at cruise. I'd consider it a necessary item though it doesn't necessarily have to be exactly there.
>>
>>16800905
Hmmmm interdasting
>>
>>16800905
thx man learned something today.
>>
>>16800905
>Charcoal canister absorbs fuel vapor from tank and engine when vehicle is off.
I always wondered why my garage doesn't smell like gas fumes after driving in the ice and snow outdoors. After work, the car and gas tank are ice cold. But when I get back home and park inside the garage, no gas fumes come out despite the gas tank warming up. I'd expect the fumes to come out due to thermal expansion, but I never smell any.

So it must be that charcoal cannister thing that is taking care of the gas fumes thermal expansion problem. Whatever is stopping the gas fumes, I say it should be mandatory on all cars that would park in a garage.
>>
>>16802325
Go try the same thing with a car that doesn't have an Evaporative Emissions system. Bonus points if the garage is also hot. After a couple of hours or so in a closed garage the fumes will make you dizzy by the time you get to the car. Gasoline boils at 150F so a hot garage at like 110F really gets the fumes going.
>>
>>16802567
>Gasoline boils at 150F so a hot garage at like 110F really gets the fumes going.
Since I have a water heater in the garage, NO THANKS. If the gas fumes build up, the water heater would ignite the fumes. The resulting gasoline vapor explosion would take out my house (and car).
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.