[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did you guys get good at smoothly shifting into 1st? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1455069277619.jpg (584KB, 888x2064px) Image search: [Google]
1455069277619.jpg
584KB, 888x2064px
How did you guys get good at smoothly shifting into 1st? I'm still bouncing a bit going out of first and I'm afraid of staying on the clutch too long and wearing it down faster. Also, an tips for smoothing out my 1 to 2 shift?
>>
give it a touch more of gas and pull the clutch faster, as for 1-2, im not sure, it should be already pretty smooth, if it's not you're probably taking too long to shit and your revs are probably a little low, so tap the gas a bit
>>
>>16786934
How long are you on the clutch from the point at which it starts to bite to when you lift your foot off the pedal?
>>
If you want smooth it has to slip a little.
>>
>>16788784
Yeah, this is basically what I have concluded too. I have never felt anyone else drive manual before so I don't know what the norm is but I slip the clutch for a solid 2-3 seconds when starting from a stop. It's the only way I can make it semi smooth.
>>
>>16789023
That's basically what you're supposed to do anyway.
>>
>>16789023
That seems long. I'm not super smooth, but I'm not so harsh as to be uncomfortable, and I figure about 1 full Mississippi (1 second) from clutch bite to foot off the clutch, with a bit of gas through the whole second. I have a no power shit box though, I imagine it would depend on the engine idle torque and gear ratios a bit.
>>
>>16786952
3sec
>>
>>16786924
I practised.
It helps that almost every time I've driven a car in the last nearly a decade of driving, it's been a manual and I've had to use a clutch.

Currently learning clutch control on a motorbike. Again, practising. Intentionally going into slow traffic uphill so I have to crawl along and hill start.

It's really not hard. Just do it like your instructor told you.
>>
>>16786924
you're really not going to do any noteworthy damage to your clutch unless you're holding it in while revving to the mid-upper range of your tach and holding the revs there for ~10+ seconds at a time

>>16788784
>>16789023
>>16786934
all of these are good pointers to keep in mind as well
>>
>>16786924
From a standstill I just slip the fuck out of it. I hold it at the biting point for a good 2-3 seconds before letting go while keeping gas at 1-2k rpm. Better than lurching from not keeping it there enough

As for shifting to 2nd smoothly that's a bit trickier because my clutch wants to grab the flywheel immediately at the flywheel giving some bounce. Normally I shift at 3k rpm which is around 18 mph in first but is like 1.8k rpm in 2nd.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.