[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I can bolt some of these to any car and get Rolls Royce

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

So I can bolt some of these to any car and get Rolls Royce ride quality?
>>
>>16778170
Yes you bolt these and the fuckload of sensors they need to work
>>
cool
>>
https://youtu.be/3KPYIaks1UY
>>
>>16778170
can i put these on my racecar? i feel like they'd make me overconfident tho
>>
File: 1481478887089.jpg (291KB, 687x1035px) Image search: [Google]
1481478887089.jpg
291KB, 687x1035px
>>16780944
It fucking jumps
>>
>>16780956
You don't really need them for a dedicated race car.
The point of magnetic suspensions is that they can make your car comfortable on rough roads, city driving and commuting, while also allowing you to get some good performance when you want to drive aggressively without the need to swap dampers or use a compromise setup that doesn't shine in either area.

If a car only sees track action you are far better off with traditional adjustable dampers that are already tuned for the track and offer a great deal of adjustment with a few simple mechanical clicks instead of a computer program and electromagnets.
>>
>>16781539
>far better off
Why though? Cheaper? Lighter? Are they not actually as good as a perfectly tuned conventional set up for track use?

What are the objective reasons that they're not as good as convention suspensions for dedicated track use? You didn't really provide any. Using magnets isn't really a negative in and of itself.
>>
File: 1466643354398.jpg (447KB, 950x950px) Image search: [Google]
1466643354398.jpg
447KB, 950x950px
>>16780944
Holy shit
>>
>>16781594
I didn't say they aren't good, I just said that they are used for both aggressive driving and comfort driving, so if your car is a track-only toy, you are paying for something you will never use, I.e. the ability to turn softer when driving home.
It's a relatively complex system compared to traditional adjustable race dampers and they are sure heavier, I don't have numbers at hand, but I know really well how racing dampers are made and adding magnets and magnetic fluid on top of the structure of a traditional damper sure isn't going to make it lighter.

I don't know how the aftermarket for these are, but how are you going to adjust them at the track? Do you need to "hack" into their software to change some obscure values? Are there pre-made setups from which you can choose? What about the fine tuning?
That's all stuff that is readily available on traditional dampers with a quick turn of a dial on the damper itself.

If you want a car that is drivable both on track and on the road, then by all means magnetic dampers will be perfect for that, but for track-only usage I feel magnetic dampers may be a bit of a waste and possibly not as fine tunable as normal racing dampers
>>
>>16781722
I would assume that if you're buying aftermarket magnetic dampers, they'll have adjustment capabilities through software similar to an aftermarket ECU.

But I can see the cost and weight of them being disadvantages, as I assume they're both more expensive and heavier. If you're a casual user who tracks your car at 1-2 circuits and knows a setup for each, conventional setups would be good.. But if it's a multi-track car? Might it be worth it to be able to fine-tune on the fly? I can't imagine it's more than 30-40lbs heavier, and cost is always relative.

There are trade-offs with conventional setups: hard for corners and overall stability means shit on bumps. I'm wondering if the computers are quick enough to stiffen the car to keep it level in corners but allow quick movements (for bumps) to be followed and keep traction.

I guess the question is answered by looking if any race cars use magnetic suspension.. Doesn't seem like it.
>>
>>16781767
>I guess the question is answered by looking if any race cars use magnetic suspension.. Doesn't seem like it.

That's because active suspension is banned in every form of racing.

Like computer controlled dampening.
>>
>>16781767
>But if it's a multi-track car?
Just like any other race car, and you can quickly and easily tune the dampers every time you stop the car with normal dampers.

>Might it be worth it to be able to fine-tune on the fly?
I guess? Doesn't seem an advantage worth paying for to be honest, considering it takes so little to tune dampers the normal way.

>There are trade-offs with conventional setups: hard for corners and overall stability means shit on bumps.
Anyone with serious track intentions will have at least 4-way adjustable dampers with both low speed damping (weight transfer) and high speed damping (bumps, curbs, track imperfections) and maybe even a fifth very high speed damping (aka blow-off) so there are no trade off in that department if you buy the right equipment.

>I'm wondering if the computers are quick enough to stiffen the car to keep it level in corners but allow quick movements (for bumps) to be followed and keep traction.
I guess they could, but until actual race cars start using them in actual championships, I don't see them becoming common track hardware.

>I guess the question is answered by looking if any race cars use magnetic suspension.. Doesn't seem like it.
They don't, in fact.
>>
>>16781786
Will we ever see the return of "go around a track as fast as you possibly can without flying"?
>>
>>16781786
>Active suspension is banned
>Active aero is banned
>The best LMP1 car is a V4 hybrid
The FIA just needs to fuck off already
>>
>>16780944
Wew
>>
>>16778480
My old car had them, I think they just had level sensors on each corner and tied into the abs system for anything else it needed
>>
>>16781807
These things aren't just on or off, they are changing a hundred times a second to adjust the damping based on road condition. They also get input from the abs and stability computers and will stiffen the front under hard braking to reduce nose dive
>>
>>16783033
And?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.