[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you learn about a cars architecture? I am doing an internship

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 33809_por_911_13_50jahre_26_big.jpg (108KB, 930x620px) Image search: [Google]
33809_por_911_13_50jahre_26_big.jpg
108KB, 930x620px
How do you learn about a cars architecture? I am doing an internship at a workshop in two weeks, but I was wondering what I can do myself to understand how a car works. I watched some engineering explained but I still don't understand anything about how everything works together.
>>
>>16766620
>he wasn't a master of cars by the age of 15
get out.
>>
>>16766620

I assume you mean "Where do I learn how to identify what all of those weird parts under the hood do and what they're called".

There's a book I torrented called "Auto Repair for Dummies" that touched the basics well enough. Don't think it makes you an expert though. Most of the information is questionably true in all cases and all of the descriptions are oversimplified, but then again anything that is a general introduction is going to have that problem.
>>
>>16766620
If you can make your question a bit more specific I can help you out with classifications and resources. "Teach me everything about cars" is really too broad to work with, short of giving you a list of two dozen books.

At the broadest level, a car consists of a chassis, engine, drivetrain, suspension, steering system, and brakes. Which would you like to know more about?
>>
>>16766668
>Classifications
Clarifications*

I'm not sure I'm liking this new keyboard on my phone.
>>
>>16766620

Modern Cars or Classic Cars?
They're mechanically very different beasts.
>>
>>16766668
He said "workshop" not "engineering firm", so I'm guessing chassis and suspension are beyond the scope.
>>
>>16766694
Unless it's a circle track shop where fabricating cages and tube frames and revalving shocks are common services. Or he's just interested in those things. I figured I'd cover all the bases.
>>
>>16766620
This might sound dumb but My Summer Car got real big on here a few months ago. Its on steam and I think it's a good introduction to get to know the names and general look of all the random shit under the hood. You'll definitely need a guide though its not really possible to do without it.
>>
>>16766645
>>16766668
>>16766724
>>16766694
I am applying for mechanical engineering next year, but I am just curious for myself. I just want to understand cars better in general, nothing specific. I know the basic parts, but I don't really know anything about how it all works really.
I was just wondering if there are materials available online, but book recs are welcome too.
>>
The Motor Vehicle
Written by T.K Garret et al.
Published by SAE International
>>
>>16766620
The easiest way would be to buy a classic car desu. With a lot of modern cars everything's jammed together and covered under a plastic cover and made to not be serviced. Something high-volume from the 60s or 70s would be ideal since there's just so much room to work with and everything's very obvious, even in something as crowded as a Mini, and you do need to learn in order to keep in running. There's nothing like hands-on learning too.

Realistically, that's probably out of the question, but the point still stands that older cars a hell of a lot simpler. If possible, see if you can focus on learning about the basic theory of components off older cars since they're much more mechanical and logical.
>>
>>16766764
pirate car mechanic sim (or buy if you're a buyfag) and put like 10 hours into it
doesn't tell you much about transmission and differentials but you'll learn the name of just about everything you'd find in a standard car (minus electronics, but you said mech eng so I'm guessing you're not too interested in that)
Once you get past learning everything you'll have unlocked enough to buy cars from the auction house and put aftermarket sikk mawdz on them like forged pistons, and there's a very rudimentary tuning shop as well.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.