[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright.. I just inherited my dad's 2007 Sentra. I can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 2007_Nissan_Sentra.jpg (318KB, 2280x1411px)
2007_Nissan_Sentra.jpg
318KB, 2280x1411px
Alright.. I just inherited my dad's 2007 Sentra. I can't sell it (not that it's worth a lot) so I figured I'd make it a formidable vehicle, but I don't know where to start.

It's just a base model, CVT transmission, shitty tires, squeaky brakes, check engine light is on, tire light is on, 180k miles and makes a strange humming sound while idling.

Ik it's been dealership serviced most of it's life, but I still don't really know if it's mechanically sound because ik very little about cars other than what I've seen on screen.. Help me out /o/??
>>
Find out what the check engine light is for starters

maybe replace the head unit with something better

other then that drive and maintain it, it has no performance potential
>>
>>16759249
Btw, I'm not really sure what to do. The only options I can see are:

>Make it mechanically sound and properly maintain it until I can afford a vehicle I actually want.
Pros- I'll learn how to properly maintain a vehicle and work on it as necessary. I'll have a reliable decent driving vehicle until I can buy a car I actually wanna have. When I do get a second vehicle, I'll have something decent to drive while I work on it.
Cons- the money it will cost could go towards something I actually want. It's kind of garbage already so it feels silly to spend more money on it. I feel like it's nearing the end of its lifespan, so I should just save that money for something else in case it shits itself.

>Make it a project car, swap with an engine that has lower mileage (maybe the engine from the top of the line model), a modest turbo, exhaust, and suspension upgrades. Then maintain.
Pros- it'll be a more formidable vehicle. I'll be more familiar with its inner workings and again, gain much needed and desired experience. I won't feel the urge to get rid of it Everytime I look at it, and it might actually be fun to drive.
Cons- same as before.

>Save all my money and run it into the ground, then buy something I actually want.
Pros- I'll have what I want sooner.
Cons- still will be inexperienced when it comes to working on cars, this will affect how my new car is taken care of. If I ever decide to work on my new car or if it breaks down, I'll have a heaping pile of shit to rely on. Dad will hate me.
>>
How do I find out what it is? From my uneducated observations, I smell hot rubber when I'm driving sometimes (particularly with the air conditioning on) but the engine heat gauge is normal. It also makes strange humming and whining sounds that it didn't used to make. When he first got it he loved how quiet it was, now it sounds like a V6 pickup.

I'm afraid the issue will cost $2-3k to fix, and for that price I could find something I won't be ashamed to drive.
>>
>>16759332
Bump
>>
It's all about the driver, not the car.
At lest that's what I'd normally say, but now with the combination of shitbox and CVT.
>>
>>16759308
>>Make it mechanically sound and properly maintain it until I can afford a vehicle I actually want.
>Pros- I'll learn how to properly maintain a vehicle and work on it as necessary. I'll have a reliable decent driving vehicle until I can buy a car I actually wanna have. When I do get a second vehicle, I'll have something decent to drive while I work on it.
>Cons- the money it will cost could go towards something I actually want. It's kind of garbage already so it feels silly to spend more money on it. I feel like it's nearing the end of its lifespan, so I should just save that money for something else in case it shits itself.
Do this. The CVT transmission is destined to shit itself at some point. Keep it mechanically sound until you can afford the fun car you want. Anything can be fun with the right mindset. Some people love Geo Metros. Others love Toyota Corollas.
>>
You are SOL, 2007-2013 Sentras are one of the worst econoboxes of the 21st century.

Only thing that could really make it bearable is a manual swap, and I don't even think it's possible if it's a CVT (someone prove me wrong).
>>
>>16760136
Alright. This is what I was leaning towards. But it'll only be around 3 months until I can get something else, IF I save every penny I make. That's where the "abandon hope and let car die" option came into play. If I can get 3 months out of it I'll be fine.. would you still suggest investing in a solution to whatever's wrong with it?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.