[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How reliable is the Evo V? I've been looking into them

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: evo v.jpg (241KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
evo v.jpg
241KB, 1600x1200px
How reliable is the Evo V?

I've been looking into them and they fit my price range well, have four doors, and seem overall pretty practical combined with fun and an aesthetic appearance, so the only question left on my mind is how reliable they would be if I intend to use one as a DD?
>>
>>16738201
Gas is terrible
What are the chances of buying an unabused one?

Prepare to spend money on clutches if it was previously abused (if fitted with an aftermarket clutch, prepare to rebuild your trans), also if with stock turbo and it was fitted with a boost controller prepare for rebuild or replacement of your turbo.

Also no gas.
>>
It's an older vehicle so it's going to have occasionally maintenance to begin with.

However one thing to consider is that not only is this an AWD vehicle (meaning more expensive to maintain) but it's a vehicle that has been driven hard most likely from the previous owner.

Also gas will not be your friend.

Not saying don't buy, I just wouldn't daily it.
>>
>>16738214 I've heard shit about Evos having serious reliability problems, so I intend on finding one with little to no modifications. I found a couple of clean Evos in my price range online, but I don't know if they were modified at all or not because insufficient details were provided.

All info I could find online regarding the MPG is that it ranged from 22 to 28, which I could definitely manage, but none of it came from any official sources.

>>16738254
Yeah, I'm gonna keep this in mind.
>>
Find mostly stock one and you will be fine
>>
As a daily , this is not a good choice , it will drink fuel like no other , unless you are prepared for the expense of fuel .Don't do it . If you are prepared for it , ready for clutch replacements and check the four wheel drive is working as it should , the viscous coupling is something most people overlook , the fluids breakdown overtime and it makes the four wheel drive react slower . Also , when you find a "clean" one (same goes for an unabused example) , make sure it really is a clean one , and not some that have been restored back to stock condition , I've seen cars like this when i was looking at Evo 5s myself , i avoided all the modded ones , but when i did find one that wasn't modded , it ended up being a accident-damaged vehicle . repairs done to these things tends to differ depending on the previous owner(s) operating budgets , those that were fixed on a shoe string budgets are real bad .
Finally regarding MPG , don't even think about anything above 18 , I've seen people in the owners club claim they got 5 MPG.
>>
Currently DD one so these are my experiences. Super fun to drive. As others mentioned, SHIT fuel economy.
The fuel gauge can be unreliable since the gas tank in the car is split in two to make room for the diff.

-Noisy lifters/tappet are common. Not a major issue but will be if you cant stand the noise. Mine only occurs when the car is cold and then disappears.

-Squeaky bushings. Need to be replaced. No biggie

My one is stock apart from coils and exhaust with 170,000 kms on the odo.

Find a good stock one, with service and maintenance done regularly and you'll be fine.
>>
I daily a VI

With mild mods 200km to a tank, 150 or less in the hills

Power is easy to get, with a few breathing mods cams and exhaust you can expect around 240kw (tuned stock turbo).

Fuel gauge is retarded

Brakes squeal like motherfuckers if you have performance pads, or even regular pads without shims and grease (brembos)

Every shithead wrx want to race you

AYC systems and transfer cases, big $$$ to fix

Fun car, stupidly quick on the street, a good set of tyres and you can hang with anything in the hills
>>
>>16739247
How big are the tanks, because 200 to a tank is absolutely appalling
>>
>>16739268
50L

You could get more out of it, don't warm it up/down don't do mods, flatten the wing, fit thin non sticky tyres, keep it under 3krpm

But they are pretty much rally cars so if this is a problem buy a Camry (or a cheaper sports car) It drinks like a v8 or a rotary.

Also if your lazy and take it to a shop for a service/repairs your gonna have a heart attack
>>
>>16739247
> AYC systems and transfer cases, big $$$ to fix

Yeah forgot to mention that if you get one with AYC change the oil o that asap, most people forget it and it fucks everything up.
>>
>>16739247
200km a tank... on 98?
>>
>>16738201
Not OP and don't want to make my own thread, what do y'all think about the Evo 3?
I've been considering saving up to import one as soon as they become legal
It's my favorite model
Yes I want a black one
Yes I want to put an emperor sticker on it
>>
>>16739373
Yea, I do a lot of small trips, tank lasts me a couple of weeks unless hills run.

Warming up and down the car properly doesn't help (car has idle function that revs at 2k untill warm)

It feels like it drinks fuel like an rx7, maybe a stock one does better you would have to look it up

this really isnt the car to buy if your on a budget for running costs, even a shit set of semis is going to cost you $800 plus, and with the amount of camber your going to want to run they wont last that long no to mention all the fluids you have to do every six months

I think an sti would make a slightly better daily, but the evo has some obvious performance advantages
>>
>>16739381
Evo III are awesome, very iconic, going to be collectible one day

Good luck finding parts depending on the country you live, your not going to have the performance or aftermarket support of a later model evo without throwing some serious cash at it.

Don't forget the head band and anti lag
>>
>>16739392
I was asking because I daily a VI to and from work and I get 200km a tank on E85. Closer to 250km if all highway driving.

Also I don't run shit semis but a set of RE003's is $500 if you wait for the get one free deal once a year. Don't need any crazy camber to have fun in the hills either.
>>
>>16739247
>200km to a tank
friggin lol
>>
If you can afford to buy an Evo, insure it and keep up with strict maintenance whilst driving it hard - then you can afford the cost of shit gas mileage.

If you don't drive it hard don't buy one.

Most of them will be "abused"... that's what they were built for. Keep up with maintenance and you won't have an issue.

If you plan to modify it, do it sensibly and with quality parts and get it tuned by someone who know's what they're doing.

There's so much info out there on Evo specific forums. Talk with these people as they know a lot more about Evo's then most people here would.
>>
Wastes too much gas. Its a decade old engine with improvements.
If completly new it should last twice as much nowadays
>>
>>16739409

I cant comment on the 003's, I haven't used them before, Im enjoying the RS-3s

Wish I had the option for e85 (mainly for the power) but there are no pumps near me

>>16739428

Cheapest thing about this car is the fuel, you should see what my insurance costs
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.