[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's more important when considering a car's specs:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: porsche-preview.jpg (138KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
porsche-preview.jpg
138KB, 800x600px
What's more important when considering a car's specs: horsepower or torque?

What should be maximized when upshifting: horsepower or torque?
>>
>>16722861
There are way more specs out there beyond horse power and torque
>>
>>16722861
>What's more important when considering a car's specs: horsepower or torque?
depends on what kind of car you want, also you should consider the entire powerband not just peak numbers (look at a dyno chart or drive one and feel it for yourself), gearing plays a part too

>What should be maximized when upshifting: horsepower or torque?
You have to factor in torque and gear ratio. Whenever the torque you're currently producing at the wheels at the current RPM is lower than what it would be in the next gear up (after RPM drop), you shift

so really just do it whenever power starts to drop off
>>
Horsepower forever and always
Torque is irrelevant once power has been calculated
>>
Torque for doing pulls
HP for white knuckle, 10 10ths, balls to the wall, racing line, hammering it, momentum racing fun
>>
Total power under the curve / lbs
>>
>>16722916
Pretty much this. The best thing is high ass Rpms. That's what they do in formula 1, have these small engines with insane rpms. Torque gets pushed to the side once you get in high gear and high rpm
>>
>>16723127
The USA e36 m3 and Honda s2000 have the same HP. The s2000 is lighter. The s2000 is slower. Guess which one has more torque
>>
>>16722916

Maybe in a sub 1800lb car. Normal cars are heavy and need torque to get going. Torque is more important in the real world as is not needing to rev to 5k rpm and shifting 5 times to get across an intersection from a red light. The only time a 9k rpm redline and top end power is useful is when you're going flat out on a track.
>>
>>16723159
>Torque is more important in the real world as is not needing to rev to 5k rpm and shifting 5 times to get across an intersection from a red light
confirmed tard who has never driven a car

>The only time a 9k rpm redline and top end power is useful is when you're going flat out on a track.
yeah because its impossible to have fun on the streets
>>
>>16723200
The only reason a high rev limit is fun is because the performance leaves you wanting
>>
I could see the appeal of big torque in an RWD car, but having 270lb-ft in my FWD Fiesta is just useless. I can't use it because it just spins tires.
>>
>>16722999
Yep this, what you want basically depends on your driving style.
>>
Torque if you are a fatass
>>
HP get hektic
Torque get city MPG
>>
>>16723200
Huh? A voodoo mustang feels slower than a GT on regular roads. Torque does matter if you actually drive your car instead of benchracing
>inb4 i only daily racecars
>>
>>16723280
You can spin your tires in 4th and 5th
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.