[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So today I spent some time thinking about cars and efficiency,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

So today I spent some time thinking about cars and efficiency, right? Cars burn gasoline (or diesel) to go forward - the more gas they burn the faster forward they go depending on the engine, and they turn the gasoline into carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxide, and whatever else comes out of the tailpipe. The more gas the car has the farther it can go depending on the efficiency of the engine, with larger engines generally getting less mileage per gallon.

I was thinking about it, and what if there was a way to 'unburn' gasoline by running the engine in reverse? So the engine sucks up all the carbon dioxide and nitrogen dioxide through the exhaust manifold in the engine, then the pistons compress it back into gasoline? If you reverse the process, the car will just end up going backwards, sure, but if you got really good at reversing, you could in theory just drive places in reverse, suck up CO2 out of the air, and make gasoline and deposit it into the gas tank (for selling later, maybe). It makes environmentalists happy by reducing the car's carbon footprint and it makes a ton of money for the driver depending on how far they can drive backwards to unburn gasoline. Any thoughts?
>>
>>16703588
>>
>>16703588
>they turn the gasoline into carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxide, and whatever else comes out of the tailpipe.

uh combustion gives you co2 and h2o
>>
File: 1462964550508.png (16KB, 599x605px)
1462964550508.png
16KB, 599x605px
You might be on to something here OP
>>
File: dudwat.jpg (26KB, 177x198px) Image search: [Google]
dudwat.jpg
26KB, 177x198px
>>16703588
>>
>>16703588
>repping HANKOOK

CHEAP CHINA RUBBER SO GOOD HE HE
>>
Genius, simply genius.

As I've come to expect from /o/
>>
>>16703588
ive thought about it, i managed to compress the gasses back into fuel successfully. I still cant find a way to make the car go forward when doing this. it just rolls backwards.
>>
>>16703624
I'll give you some cheap china rubber if you get my drift
>>
You should learn about entropy, OP.

Actually you should probably start off with something like this.
>>
File: 1462850128692.png (428KB, 646x525px)
1462850128692.png
428KB, 646x525px
>>16703588
>>
You'd need to build a transmission with more than one reverse gear, to reverse faster and go on the highway and stuff
>>
>>16703588
You would be defying the 2nd law of thermodynamics OP. I'm not a physicsfag, but the way I understand it is that a combustion reaction results in the hydrocarbons composing the gasoline reaching a more chemically stable state in the form of CO2 and H2O, etc. (i.e., the products of the combustion reaction will have less potential energy stored within their bonds). To reverse the process you would need at the minimum some device to collect the products of the combustion reaction, an input of energy from the environment into the chemical system to overcome the activation energy barrier, and some kind of catalyst.

The first part can probably be figured out, but the real issue I think is the 2nd and 3rd point. A combustion reaction, being a highly exothermic reaction, would have a very high activation energy threshold in its reverse direction. To get this energy would probably be more trouble than it's worth. As for the catalyst, you would have to ask a chemfag.
>>
>>16703624
hankook literally means korea.
>>
>>16703682
that'd be fine though
better yet just have it sit still while refueling
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.