[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'll be frank with you fellas I don't know much about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

I'll be frank with you fellas I don't know much about cars but I've always wondered how people go about increasing engine power on stock internals. I've seen 2jz doing 700+ on stock internals but I don't know how they do it. what do they change, how much, how little? How does it affect the longevity and reliability of the engine?

any care to explain it to me in simple terms
t. car noob
>>
>>16697130
Sure bud

More power means more Air and Fuel needs to get into the engine.

Engines pump air&fuel in and out of the engine pretty poorly in stock form there are alot of restrictions to air flow.

Basically try blowing through a straw vs blowing down a garden hose, you will feel less back pressure from the air coming out of your mouth.

The concept with engine modification is to decrease restrictions with engine intake and exhaust.

The more advanced concepts are to get more fuel, combustion space and compression but you need to read up on that.

A great game to learn about this shit is Automation which might still have a free demo or a pirated copy.

Gl dood it took me 20 years and i still dont gettit fully.
>>
>>16697144
thanks mate
ill look more into it
>>
>>16697130
>stock internal
You have to look into what internals your engine has. 2jz has all forged internals thats why people can go hektic with them. If your shit has cast you cant do much without sending a connecting rod through the block.
>>
>>16697177
Right, so just to build on top of what this anon Said, when you upgrade your engine, sometimes you upgrade the internals in a way so that they can keep up with the stress of all the bigger and faster explosions, and making sure things don't brake under the new found power that was not intended by the original creator.
>>
Talk to these one of guys that do this
http://www.psmcdr.com/
>>
>>16697130
>2jz doing 700hp on stock internals

swapping twin turbos over for a single, larger turbo, cooling system upgrades and probably a custom ECU, bigger injectors and a stronger fuel pump

As >>16697144 said, its about getting more air and fuel into the engine, but they need to be in a specific ratio, too much/little and the engine will start to have issues.

Getting more fuel into the engine is easy, more powerful fuel pump to pump more fuel into the engine, and larger injectors to allow the fuel to flow through. the custom ECU allows the use of the higher fuel flow rate.

Getting air into the engine is more difficult, on a naturally aspirated car the air is sucked into the engine when the piston moves down, so there needs to be no extra parts to force air into the engine. However, the amount of air sucked in is limited by the size of the combustion chamber, you can reduce restrictions all you want (air filter, throttle body, etc) all you want, the maximum volume of air pulled in has an upper limit. This does not mean this is the maximum amount of air the engine, should take in though, there is still more power to be made.

So, instead of trying to remove restrictions in the way of the air, and since at atmospheric pressure there is a limited amount of air that we can get into the cylinder, we have to pressurise the air. to do this we can use forced induction, such as a supercharger or a turbocharger. A supercharger is an air compressor driven by a belt from the engine, which forces air into the engine, making more power. A turbocharger is a compressor driven by exhaust gasses from the engine. you can have any number of either of these in theory, but the most common is 1 of either, usually a turbocharger.

Basically, any part that forces air into the engine has 2 limits, a lower limit, which is where it starts to make boost, and an upper limit, where it cannot make any more boost. (will cont.)
>>
>>16697321
(cont.)
A supercharger, since it has a physical connection to the engine, has no real practical lower limit, since when the engine is turning, it is turning, so even though there might be some slight delay from pressing the throttle to getting boost, in theory its more or less instant. However, since it uses some of the engines power to spin it, if it is too difficult to spin it can make the car difficult to drive at low RPM due to the power losses (it would have to be VERY powerful to do this though). This is why most superchargers dont make a lot of boost compared to turbochargers.

Turbochargers on the other hand, do have a practical lower limit, since they have no physical connection to the engine, if there is not enough exhaust gas passing by the turbocharger, it simply will not spin, or at least wont spin fast enough to make boost. This is whats referred to as turbo "lag", when there is a period where the engine is not revving high enough to spin the turbocharger. Due to this, turbos can have a very high upper limit, at expense of the lower limit, e.g. bigger turbochargers will make more power, but will take longer to come online.

The 2jz you mentioned comes from factory with 2 turbochargers. there are a couple of types of twin turbo setup, but i really cant be arsed to explain them, its 3AM and im tired as fuck. All you need to know is its slightly better than a single turbo as it makes boost from a lower RPM to a slightly higher RPM. Manufacturers like these, as there is less lag and more boost in the higher RPMs, so it is nicer to drive. What people do is take the twin turbo system off, and replace it with a single, large turbo, so less boost down low, but much more high up. So more air into the engine, and the better system to pump fuel into the engine, equals bigger bang, and more power. These engines are overengineered from factory, so the stock internals are fine for this.

sloppy ending cause tired as fuck, and near char limit again
>>
File: 1446642674619.gif (12KB, 250x242px) Image search: [Google]
1446642674619.gif
12KB, 250x242px
>>16697440
a compound turbo charged blown jz would be amazing
>>
>>16697130
Some cars like my s2000 come with something called forged internals. It's a manufacturing process that produces far stronger parts than casting, but costs more to do so.

typically engines that have all of the major components forged can handle quite a bit of abuse before they shit the bed. Also engines that are built from the factory to handle more abuse can do so. You wouldn't be able to throw forged internals into something like a stock 1.6l jetta and expect to get 400whp without something else going wrong.

then you get into shit like the drivetrain and chassis being able to cope with the added power, but that's another story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZQZ2lQbjhU
>>
File: IMG-20161207-WA0009.jpg (72KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161207-WA0009.jpg
72KB, 540x540px
>>16697130
I can answer one question here. Put in relatively simple terms, the more you force an engine to do more work than it was designed to, the shorter life it will lead. Tenfold if you skip on regular maintainance. Those overboosted 2jzs probably are going to seriously need a major rebuild in the near future aswell
>>
>>16697130
>compound turbo charged
What
>>
>>16697262
>explosions
wrong
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 200x159px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 200x159px
thanks friends, this really helps a lot
>>
>>16697130
>I've always wondered how people go about increasing engine power on stock internals
I'm not sure if you're specifically asking what types or mods are done to increase power, or if you're asking specifically how it's done without upgrading the internals...
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.