[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /o/ I'm trying to expand my hands-on knowledge of engines,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 11138dv2.jpg (137KB, 600x463px) Image search: [Google]
11138dv2.jpg
137KB, 600x463px
hey /o/

I'm trying to expand my hands-on knowledge of engines, and i'm thinking of picking up a bare engine to rebuild it and in the process learning more about the insides and the process of assembling an engine.

so tell me, wat engine to buy?

Doesn't really matter how big it is, as long as i can plop it onto something in the future when i am done with it, if i ever finish. The cheaper and more fun the better.

>ABA 16v vw?
>8v vw diesel?
>any dumb honda 4 cylinder?
>M52/M54
>350?
>ls?
>>>>>>bmw v12?

thanks.
>>
my vote goes to dumb honda 4 cyclinder
>>
i vote the venerable 4G63T
common
cheap
decently powerful
>>
>>16691718

which of all?
>>
M52b25/b28 are fucking common. shouldnt be a problem.
>>
>>16691710
Datsun L series, Chevy 350, or Willys Go Devil 4
>>
>plop it into something
SBC, ls, 1j, 2j, 4g63, b series Honda, k series Honda, pretty much any DOHC 4cyl VTEC Honda, even a few d series sohc Honda motors, if you wanna be a real sick cunt, you could probably find a 7MGTE with a blown headgasket for super cheap, tear it down, have the block and head surfaced, then put it back together with quality parts and a metal headgasket and make 600hp with a big turbo. You can put them in pretty much anything you can put a 1j or 2j in. Drop it in a 240 or mk3 Supra and blow the doors off shit.
>>
>>16692664

I was thinking something along the lines of a b16

and if i were to go crazy, I'd buy a 6.0 powerstroke.
>>
>>16691710
Stay away from the BMW M70/M73 V12 engines.
They are money pits, overtly complicated and quite ancient in design.

They also have a very lackluster aftermarket.

I'd suggest the BMW M50 engines, Chrysler 2.2 litre Turbo II and Volvo redblock.
>>
>>16691718
I agree.
>>16691736
Probably a D15 or D16 vtec. legit like 400 dollars max for either..
>>
>>16693850
A D series with a rebuild on e85 with an eBay Turbo kit can make like 380 wheel. Couple that with Honda's light ass cars and you have some serious straight line speed.
>>
>>16691710
I wouldn't bother with a car engine to be honest mate. Just get a single cylinder lawn mower and play with that. You might actually get some use out of the lawn mower.
>>
>>16691710
Easy. 350. They're cheap, easy to make go stupid fast, and super easy to work on
>>
>>16691710
The VW engines are simple and common, but have like zero tuning potential. For that you'd need a 1.8T or one of those old Audi inline 5s, but they're more expensive and more complicated.

Just go with some Honda 4-banger or an old American V8.
>>
350 chevy, people practically give them away. They are super easy to work on and parts are everywhere.
>>
>>16693850
This. D's are cheap as hell, or old trashed B18s out of Integras, they're fairly cheap if you're not wanting to get it up and running again, but want something to learn on.
>>
>>16691710
>i'm thinking of picking up a bare engine to rebuild it and in the process learning more about the insides and the process of assembling an engine.
its mainly theoretical anyway.

Get a small 200cc chink engine and pull that part instead.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.