[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, so sorry if this is a stupid question but I don't know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: Photo0293.jpg (152KB, 650x1015px) Image search: [Google]
Photo0293.jpg
152KB, 650x1015px
Hey, so sorry if this is a stupid question but I don't know much about transmissions.

What exactly does the '3' and '2' mean? And what do the + and - on the side do?

Oh, and what does that button with the picture of the steering wheel do?
>>
RTFM.
>>
>>16687339
Read the books in your glove compartment, retard.
>>
>>16687348
My car didn't come with a manual.
>>
>>16687339
>Oh, and what does that button with the picture of the steering wheel do?
It turns your steering wheel on.
>>
>>16687339
3 is 3rd gear
2 is 2nd gear
+ increases the temperature of your latte
- decreases the temperature of your latte
steering wheel button is turn on/off auto steering so you don't have to steer when the cruise control is on
>>
>>16687354
Latte?

As in the coffee?
>>
File: 1385604259649.jpg (249KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1385604259649.jpg
249KB, 1920x1080px
>>16687350
>Age of information
>Can't fucking google

Do you know how to wipe your ass?
>>
>>16687356
No as in the german slang word Latte for boner.
>>
>>16687339

Selecting the numbers locks the transmission into that specific gear (ie "2" keeps the transmission from shifting out of 2nd gear). This is useful for towing loads, going uphill, going downhill, or crawling of shifty surfaces like snow/sand.

The +/- is the same idea except you can go through the gears sequentially on the drivers' cue. This is meant to evoke a sporty feel when driving. However, some systems are more obtrusive than others which kind of kills the idea of manually cuing when to shift.

Not sure what the steering wheel switch does. Best guess is that that car has the +/- shifting feature on the steering wheel so that you can control the shifts without having to reach down for the shift knob.
>>
>>16687815
Thanks anon.

And I think you're right about the +/- thing on the steering wheel, because my car does have that on its steering wheel. I thought it was to control the volume or something, but apparently not.

That's pretty cool, so I can put it in D and instead of using the gear shift to move it to + or - I can just click on the buttons on the wheel?
>>
File: 1480297244724.jpg (33KB, 720x865px) Image search: [Google]
1480297244724.jpg
33KB, 720x865px
>>16687900
>steering wheel shift control
>it's two buttons and not flappy paddles
I am sickened
>>
>>16687815
Thanks anon, learned something new myself
>>
>>16687815
>This is useful for towing loads, going uphill, going downhill, or crawling of shifty surfaces like snow/sand.
That also means the ebgine gives out more torque. Right?
>>
>>16687900
>That's pretty cool, so I can put it in D and instead of using the gear shift to move it to + or - I can just click on the buttons on the wheel?

I'd presume you'd have to put the shift knob in in the +/- gate to use the buttons on the steering wheel since keeping it in D usually lets cars' computer dictate when gear shifts happen. You can probably try it yourself to see if the steering wheel buttons are as responsive when in D as they are when the lever is in +/- gate. Shouldn't hurt the car any.

You'll still need to use the lever for Parking, Reverse, and Neutral.
>>
>>16688152
Probably not, most modern cars make peak torque at like 2k
>>
>>16688152
No.

When under a heavy load the idea is to keep the transmission in a gear where the engine is making most of its torque at that particular speed range. Locking it in gear would keep the transmission from shifting to early forcing the engine to drop in rpm (and possibly out of the meaty part of the torque band).

Locking in a gear when going steep downhill is to make use of engine braking which is useful if you're carrying a load and your brakes are wearing out.
>>
>>16688206
>>16688207
Great info. Thank you.
>>
>>16687350
go to the manufacturer's website and download the .pdf of the manual.
>>
File: 1303836336750.gif (1MB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
1303836336750.gif
1MB, 255x255px
>>16687350
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.