[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the maximum interval/mileage you would go between

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_7222.jpg (175KB, 1280x782px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7222.jpg
175KB, 1280x782px
What's the maximum interval/mileage you would go between oil changes? I'm talking about a brand new engine.
>>
1.5k miles
>>
File: 101003_v1.jpg (87KB, 220x320px) Image search: [Google]
101003_v1.jpg
87KB, 220x320px
>>16670320
I don't pay attention to miles. I just change it every 6 months. Synthetic can last 10K miles. But you should probably change the filter more than that. . .
>>
250 miles
>>
>>16670320
3k for conventional and 12k for full synthetic with best filter
>>
>>16670320
I change every 6k since 8 miles on odo currently at 66,000 miles
>>
>>16670339
kek'd heartily
>>
>>16670320
2 years or 12k miles whatever comes first.Just follow the manual.
>>
>>16670320
do it at the same time as your cambelt and spark plugs. usually every 3 months.
>>
Oil is rarely the limiting factor nowadays. Filters need replacing long before most modern synthetics wear out.

7.5k absolute maximum in my wrx. Usually around 5k tho.
>>
I'm at just over 6k miles in my civic now, and maintenance minder clocks me at 40% oil life.

I'm hoping the new Si comes out soon, so I won't even have to change the oil before I trade it in.
>>
File: pick-up-screen.jpg (39KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
pick-up-screen.jpg
39KB, 640x480px
>just follow the manual
The problem is that the manual usually lists a whole lot of 'extreme driving condition' factors that apply to a surprisingly large number of common driving scenarios. In those extreme driving conditions, the service intervals are typically halved.

I wouldn't trust any manufacturer that lists more than 6-8k miles for an oil change, especially since a lot of cars with really long service intervals (looking at you, VAG) tend to have problems with excessive oil usage or sludge buildup.

It's more appealing for general consumers and especially fleet companies to have a car that needs servicing less often, so manufacturers will try and stretch out the intervals as far as they can.

I've seen Hiluxes with sludge all over the oil pickups, BMWs with filters that have totally fallen apart, and Audis with so much carbon crud under the cam cover that you wonder how those engines still function. Subaru even considers oil usage of up to 450 mL per 1000 km as acceptable - that won't even make it to the next service without running out of oil.

Don't even get me started on 'filled for life' transmissions, either.

tl;dr - Manufacturers are cheapskates, don't trust them.

6k miles / 10k kms or 12 months is the most I'd ever really want to go, regardless of whatever expensive oil and fancy filter is fitted. Do you really want to risk your engine looking like pic related?

>t. a concerned mechanic
>>
once a year for synthetic, any retard who says differently is a sheep who doesnt have a problem giving their money away

it takes YEARS for oil to sludge up not 3k-5k miles

the people who change their oil every 3k miles are the same posters you see posting pics of their cars in their driveways within trailer parks
>>
>>16670329

1.5 miles
>>
>>16670320
For a brand new motor usually after 300-500 miles. Then 1.5k after that. Then normal intervals after that.
>>
File: Clarkson_Thoughtful_Quote.jpg (81KB, 1262x371px) Image search: [Google]
Clarkson_Thoughtful_Quote.jpg
81KB, 1262x371px
> Naturally-aspirated, compression-ration under 10:1.
6,500 miles.
>N/A, C.R. over 10:1.
5,000 miles.
>Forced-induction, driven like a granny.
4,000 miles.
>F.I. redlining all day
3,000 miles tops.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.