[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I had to open the gate at work. it has a slight incline to get

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: emergency-brake-1.jpg (42KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
emergency-brake-1.jpg
42KB, 400x300px
I had to open the gate at work.

it has a slight incline to get up. when I parked (on said incline) to open the gate I had it in N with the handbrake up. when I took my foot off the brake it started to roll back.

Is that a sign my handbrake is fucked or something? I ended up putting it in 1st gear to hold it in place.

I'm kinda new to manual.
>>
Probably your exhaust
>>
You have to let your foot off the clutch before you turn your key off, so you lock your wheels in place.
>>
File: 1486460391499.jpg (46KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
1486460391499.jpg
46KB, 620x465px
>>16652065
Are you fucking retarded?
>lock wheels in place
The handbrake locks the rear brakes against the calipers so the car does not move.

>>16652028
Your hand brake needs to be adjusted. How much play is in it? What is the resistance when you pull it? If you can lift it with a finger you have a problem. If it stops after a few clicks it should be okay. If you have it ALL the way up and it still rolls back then yeah you need an adjustment of the brake cable that pulls the pads to the calipers.
>>
>>16652091
Test
>>
>>16652091

Op: this

Pic related: we should all worship the car gods while shitposting.

But please keep all other religion banter else where.

Other then that

/thread
>>
File: IMAG0069.jpg (2MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0069.jpg
2MB, 4000x3000px
Not OP, but I have a similar problem. When I pull the handbrake it doesn't actually stop the car from rolling unless it's all the way up, and when it's like that it's stuck enough that I need two hands to press the button to push it down.

I already know I need to adjust the parking brake cable, but what about making the button easier to disengage?
>>
What fucks up the parking brake cable?
>>
>>16652500
>apply light pressure to button
>maintain light pressure
>lift handbrake lever
>button should depress with relative ease
>lower lever
>happy motoring
>>
>>16652065
Do people seriously believe this?

Also, OP, just get your ebrake shoes adjusted. They lose pressure over time, and on some cars it's as easy as taking off the wheel and turning some screws inside the hub. Good luck.
>>
>>16652500
Once you adjust your ebrake cable, you won't need to pull up on the ebrake as much to engage it, therefore making it easier to press the button when disengaging it. If you like (I do) you can adjust it to where it only takes a few clicks to fully engage the brake.
>>
is it bad to keep it in first gear to hold my car in place?
>>
>>16652561
yes dude you are being literally Hitler to your car

(no its not)
>>
File: DSCF0729.jpg (204KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0729.jpg
204KB, 750x1000px
>>16652028
- Remove the leather cover at the base of the handbrake lever
- find the adjusting mechanism (something like pic related)
- tighten the nut a bit
- test the handbrake
- tighten the nut again if necessary until satisfied
- put cover back

Sometimes the mechanism is not inside the car, but under it, it looks exactly the same, but you need to crawl under the car to adjust it

It is also important to know if you have a drum handbrake or not (having rear discs does not mean you don't have drum handbrake) because if that's the case and tightening the adjusting mechanism is not enough, it means you have to adjust the handbrake shoes because they are too worn or the self-adjusting mechanism is not working properly.
Sometimes there is a small hole covered by a rubber cap that allows you to adjust the shoes from behind the drum/drummed disc, while other times you may have to remove the drum/disc entirely to see the stuff.

I would start with the simple adjusting nut, if you see that tightening it all the way doesn't solve your problem, then I'm afraid you'll have to get your hands dirty on the drum.

One last thing: if you have rear disc brakes it could be that the handbrake is indeed inside the caliper (you can spot the difference by looking at where the cable ends, if it's attached to a lever on the caliper, then that's your handbrake, if it disappears inside the rear of the disc, then you have shoes) so there will be an additional adjusting mechanism very similar to the one under the handbrake lever inside the car to help you solve the problem.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.