[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>buy 2007 subaru outback with 137,000 miles >literally

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

>buy 2007 subaru outback with 137,000 miles
>literally ten miles from the place the check engine light turns on
>when i gun it it lurches at 40mph like it is trying to change gears or something
>it eventually shifts or does something to stop lurching and accelerates
>pull over and call the people i bought it from, they have it towed back to their shop

what am i in for>?

they said the previous owners had overheated it and that they redid all the seals and piston heads and put a new timing belt on it
>>
Lol I hope u got it cheap because if it's not a small problem ur screwed.

Don't pay for any additional work if they didn't sell it in working condition make them fix it.
>>
Did you not test drive the car before buying it?
>>
File: 1446754731761.gif (79KB, 500x390px) Image search: [Google]
1446754731761.gif
79KB, 500x390px
>>16600846
yeah but it didn't do any of that when i drove it.
>>
>>16600871
Did you test drive it on the highway and city?
>>
>>16601524
n-no senpai
>>
>>16601680
So what did your "test drive" consist of then?
>>
>>16602166
about ten miles up to about 40 mph. i should've taken it on the highway but idk man i think it's possible it wouldn't have done what it did even if i had. it's just one of those things
>>
>>16602261
"Test drive" doesn't mean putting along straight roads for 20 minutes. It means going on a variety of roads (city driving, highway, unpaved), doing brake checks / hazard braking, full-lock turning, accelerating, using the entire rev range to test the car's capabilities and to find out if it has any problems.
>>
>>16600820

The previous sellers disconnected the battery so that the check engine light would reset. If they already did seals, piston heads and timing belt, the problem is either unknown or the engine is destroyed, which is why they sold you their lemon.
>>
>>16600820
Do two things:

1) Change the automatic transmission fluid. It can work WONDERS when it comes to automatic transmissions and solve so many problems.

2) Find the dirtiest private mechanics shop around. If there's an engine sitting on the floor in the middle of his garage, you've find the right guy. Offer him $20 just to drive it and tell you what he thinks is wrong. He's probably going to know in about 5 minutes or less. Use that information to make a further decision. He will probably give you a fair quote for a good repair as well.

On average there is a correlation between a mechanics competence and how dirty he is. A good and hardworking mechanic will only clean himself once or twice a day; at lunch, and when he's done. Plus an engine on the floor shows that he's confident enough to pull an engine and chuck it to the side without an afterthought.
>>
>>16602325
>>16602166
On top of this after you do it, you then take it to a parking lot and do several parking checks including full lock to lock turning in and out of spots to check different problems and you sit there for about 5 to 10 minutes after driving to make sure it doesn't over heat in idle after a drive and for leaks.
>>
>I looked at it before I bought it, I don't know why it's having problems

I imagine op was the guy looking under the car for 10 minutes saying "yep, that's good"
>>
>>16602578
I forgot to add, if you don't know what you're looking for when buying a used car there is a sticky on the very first page of this board. If you can't figure it out from there you should really be hiring someone to look the car over.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.