[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking to pick up stick and I wanted to know a good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: 13647426261.jpg (164KB, 900x650px) Image search: [Google]
13647426261.jpg
164KB, 900x650px
I'm looking to pick up stick and I wanted to know a good car to learn it in. Pic related is the beast the internet seems to recommend, a Volvo 240 (no year specified by anyone though) and I was wondering what you guys thought about it or had any recommendations (broke college kid here).

>inb4 lurk moar newfag
I'm new but hoping to stay
>>
>>16591505
I checked out this review already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nxMYiVdXD0
>>
>>16591505
Civic for 3k
>>
>>16591505
why do you want a heavy brick for a car? its the automotive equivalent of an old nokia
>>
File: Volvo snow.jpg (98KB, 712x400px) Image search: [Google]
Volvo snow.jpg
98KB, 712x400px
>>16591596
because rwd, Civics didn't win races, the 240 did
>pic related

OP, parts will be a little more expensive than your run the mill Honda/Toyota, idk what Volvo boards are out there but as a broke college kid you gotta ask yourself how many free weekends you got to wrench on it when it does something funny, and how much you got saved up for when you give up and take it to the mechanic.

Better than most people's first car, logic says get a Jap car, but I say fuck it. Check out turbobricks.com when you get the chance. Could be a fun project down the road if you get the itch.
>>
>>16591632
I'm actually fresh out of college and looking for a job 9STEM field so I'm crossing my fingers) but the '99 caravan I'm driving at the moment is rusting away and not technically mine either.
>>
>>16591505
Any cheap car will do, basically.

Unless you know what you are doing, either have money or knowledge on repairing your own car, I wouldn't recommend 240s since these days they basically rust away or fall apart or fail emission tests.

Great car though. Learned to drive in one.
>>
File: 5031149000_9b1bf6157b_o.jpg (3MB, 4134x2755px) Image search: [Google]
5031149000_9b1bf6157b_o.jpg
3MB, 4134x2755px
>>16591651
>I'm actually fresh out of college and looking for a job 9STEM field so I'm crossing my fingers) but the '99 caravan I'm driving at the moment is rusting away and not technically mine either.

Can you afford a $5k Honda or Toyota? Buy one of those, drive it for a year while you get a job, sort your shit out, figure out your budget and then go look for a car you really want.

If what you really want is a 240 the fucking do it, don't listen to common sense, there are many worse decisions to make. But if you're picking it because you don't want to be just another normie pencil pusher in a Corolla then you're being dumb.

>watch less 90s teen movies

>>16591661
>Unless you know what you are doing, either have money or knowledge on repairing your own car, I wouldn't recommend 240s since these days they basically rust away or fall apart or fail emission tests.
Bingo
>>
>>16591701
I just want a car to drive and learn stick before I buy the car I actually want (if I get practice with a cheap "now" car then I won't put as much wear on the real deal later on)
>>
>>16591505
i think 240s are a cool pos car, but getting a basic bitch toyota or honda for cheap is usually more practical.
>>
>>16591726
Then do it and have fun, words won't stop you and like I've said before there are many many worse decisions. Go search for specific 240 forums to find common problems, maybe even buy one off another enthusiast, they are out there.
>>
File: 6tag_020915-105144.jpg (346KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
6tag_020915-105144.jpg
346KB, 1080x1080px
>>16591505
Manual 240s are getting hard to find, and the earlier one, like those made before the 90s had a four speed manual with an overdrive unit on the end instead of a fifth gear, which kinda sucks.

On the other hand, I've owned a few 240s and really do like them. You can upgrade the suspension to make it fairly decent, and a turbo is not too hard to add. Look at IPD USA for parts.

Pic related, me leaving on a trip from CA to MA. Car made it across the country twice without any real issues.
>>
>>16591505
buy an early 2000's ford focus.

You can get these wicked cheap for what nice drivers they are.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.