[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on Foresters? This looks like a clean maintained ex

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 01616_admvIrQ9chk_600x450.jpg (51KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
01616_admvIrQ9chk_600x450.jpg
51KB, 600x450px
Thoughts on Foresters? This looks like a clean maintained example, 123k miles recently had timing belt/waterpump done.
>https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/5980549646.html
>>
way overpriced

get an xt
>>
>>16580534
xt is even more overpriced
>>
Looks clean. I'd try for $5,000
>>
>>16580526
Just get a civic for 3k. you don't need awd.
>>
>>16580705
>Just get a civic for 3k
not everyone on /o/ is poorfag
>>
>>16580526
Are you a man made embankment designed to prevent flooding? Because you'll definitely look like a dyke driving that.
>>
>>16580732
i love this meme
>>
Foresters are great. A "premium package" would be preferable (moon roof, lsd, 4w disc breaks, heated seats, etc) for that gen
>>
I like the size of the Forester for carrying around bicycles, dog crates, etc., but my mechanic said those cars have much higher maintenance costs than a Honda or Toyota.
Here's why...

A big part of that expense is head gasket failure of the 2.5L engine. The early SOHC EJ251 engine was the worst, the revised EJ255 (2003+) had fewer problems. Subaru didn't admit the engine/gasket problem, instead blamed consumers for not using the correct coolant. Subaru even came out with a Coolant System Conditioner which was a re-labeled product (Rad Weld) designed to make the gaskets swell so they'd seal better. You have to use this conditioner before the gaskets leak.

The Forester XT has the EJ25D engine which is less susceptible to head gasket problems, but Subaru still recommends the conditioner.

Leaking head gaskets can cause cross-contamination of coolant causing overheating causing warped aluminum engines. Re-surfacing the engine decks is very expensive machine shop labor , then add parts and labor for gaskets, water pump, timing and accessory belts, tensioners.

The gasket failures mostly occur after 100K-150K miles. I wouldn't buy a high mileage Subaru with the 2.5L engine unless I was very confident that proper maintenance had been done.
>>
>>16581213
Second gen foresters don't have the head gasket problems the first gen ones did, the rate of failure on the newer engines was basically in line with other engines. IMO half the reason they failed so much in the first place is subaru puts the thermostat on the bottom of the engine instead of the top where it
>>
>>16581213
I spoke with some subie friends who tried to edumacate me on the "heat gasket" issue.

They say the culprit is an improperly bleed cooling system, or less likely some component in the cooling system. The engine will overheat because air bubbles won't transfer heat. If the engine overheats enough it will warp which will damage the head gasket seals and hasten their deterioration.

So the head gasket leaking is ultimate symptom of an overheated engine, caused by a cooling system problem, which could be as simple as improperly bleed coolant.

Proper bleeding takes just a few minutes longer. Maybe some mechanics are not incentivized to do it, because replacing heater cores and thermostats is more profitable.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.