[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking to buy a winter beater tomorrow and have my heart set

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_4666.jpg (56KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4666.jpg
56KB, 480x360px
Looking to buy a winter beater tomorrow and have my heart set on a 1994 Subaru Loyale 4WD wagon. Everything works good except the reverse is out, automatic transmission. The seller mentioned something about a possible vacuum leak in the car causing this. Could it be something that simple? Car is otherwise mint and for $500 obo it's tempting.
>>
>>16562504
if it was that simple he would of fixed it.

Expect reverse to be completely fucked
>>
>>16562510

Any suggestions to try and revive it as a last ditch effort? I can live with it one way or another, just curious.
>>
>>16562510
this
Regardless, get it.
>>
>>16562575
If one of the gears are fucked, a machine shop can make replacements
>>
File: IMG_4652.jpg (62KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4652.jpg
62KB, 640x480px
>>16562597

How much does that usually run?
>>
File: IMG_4663.jpg (70KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4663.jpg
70KB, 480x360px
>>16562597

better yet, anything to look out for when checking the transmission fluid? This will be my first AWD car.
>>
>>16562641
Keep it full, I'd replace the trans and rear diff fluid when you do the oil. These cars like to leak every fluid they have. Another thing to watch is the temp gauge as it probably isn't accurate (when mine reaches 'normal operating temperature' on the gauge it's overheating) there's other little things that go wrong on loyales/gls but there pretty reliable and easy to work on
>>
Buy it, you never really *need* reverse and you can fix it in the summer if you care that much.
>>
>>16562641
It's not awd it's 4wd, if there isn't a button to put it into 4wd (or there's no driveline) it's fwd
>>
>>16562602

Several thousand dollars. Are you serious? You really think someone is going to fix your shitbox AUTOMATIC trans for less than a grand?
>>
>>16562504

So how do you get out of a parking spot without reverse? Do you carry ramps in your car to park on and then slide off of?
>>
File: wTWWpcH.jpg (81KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
wTWWpcH.jpg
81KB, 720x480px
These cars give me a boner.
But im scared to buy one because of subaru memes
>>
>>16562504
It will need a transmission. Can you afford to pay someone to put one in? Assuming you can even find a transmission.
>>
File: IMG_4653.jpg (51KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4653.jpg
51KB, 360x480px
>>16562947

Ah I see. Forgot this was right before full time AWD on Subies.

>>16562974

Wasn't expecting anything less than a grand, though given the condition of the car in this rust belt, it might be worth considering.

>>16562980

I would assume just put it in neutral and get out to push. As it sits, I can pull through parking spaces at work and park in my driveway without reverse. That's what I did for my CRX when reverse went out, though that was a manual tranny.
>>
>>16562974
Why the christ would you spend several grand fixing it when you can go to a pick a part and get one for $50-$100?
>>
>>16563404

As stated before, I'm in the rust belt. These cars vanished off the roads here 10 years ago.
>>
>>16563409
Ah sorry, I missed that. Still, I'm sure you could find one somewhere. Maybe take a couple hour trip down to some dryer states and look for one there. Still, I really doubt you couldn't find one. I live in the north west and I was able to find some rust free mr2 rear quarters. That's waaay rarer than an auto loyale tranny desu
>>
>>16562995
don't be retarded and get one
>>
>>16563439
What are their main issues?
Can i easily swap in a newer engine?
>>
>>16563467
Absolutely no clue. All I know is if you don't get a car because of "memes" you're being stupid. Do some research and you'll be good.
>>
>>16563428

Minnesota sucks, unless Iowa or Wisconsin still have some kicking around a boneyard. Regardless, if everything checks out on the car tomorrow, I'll probably buy it.
>>
>>16563477
Go for it. I'm sure you can find a trans if you look hard enough. Shouldn't even be that difficult I reckon, you'd be surprised.
>>
>winter is halfway over
>buy a winter beater
>>
>>16564063
Tends to happen when someone steals your original winter beater.
>>
>>16562504
>reverse is out, automatic transmission
Oy fucking vey the responses in this thread.

It just needs a band adjustment (basically free) or a rebuild is all. That's a couple hundred bucks if you do the rebuild yourself.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.