[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /o/, I'm in college, and I need a school project

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

Alright /o/, I'm in college, and I need a school project for the next three months. I was talking to my uncle(who happens to be the shop teacher on my college), and he said he needs a new throttle body for his Kadett GSi.
I've decided to make a set of ITB's for that engine (C20XE). Here's the plan:
>Find a spare head
>Scan using office printer
>Use Solidworks Autotrace to determine the base flange shape
>Cut from 10mm aluminium (using water jet cutter)
>Mill 4 blocks that smoothly transition from the port shape to a round 42mm bore (using 4 axis mill) and hold the injectors
>Weld blocks to base flange
>Extend blocks using round tubing
>Weld in a top flange to stabilise the piping
>Top it all off with a set of 422mm GSX-R1000 throttle bodies
>Make inserts between the throttle bodies so the manifold pipes are perfectly parallel

Am I forgetting something here?
Also, I need to clock 280 hours doing this, including research, design and welding practice. Can it be done?
>>
>Scan using office printer
Dooooog. Don't you have an electronic caliper? Don't do this half assed shit.
>>
what a waste of fucking time effort and money

arnt you paying these fuckers to teach you?

i mean like the average professor makes damn near 100k a year and they just say: HEY I DONT HAVE ANYTHING TO TEACH YOU SPEND 280 HOURS ON WORTHLESS BULLSHIT
think of it this way:
that 280 hours at $8.10 an hour is over $2000 of wasted time

for me (a non college student who went straight into the workforce) its closer to $5500 in lost revenue
is your time that worthless to you?

in 2 years whatever shit you make will be in the trash and somene like me will have 2 years of on the job experience over you
>>
>>16541803

Holy fuck this bait is terrible
>>
File: Knipsel.jpg (20KB, 604x553px) Image search: [Google]
Knipsel.jpg
20KB, 604x553px
>>16541798
Port shaping on this head is quite irregular afaik, so it wouldn't just be a matter of taking some calipers and redrawing it. The scanner + Autotrace idea is actually pretty accurate.
I've used it to exactly match an S&S carb (pic related). Took me 5 minutes to whip it up, whereas drawing and measuring every single curve would've taken me much, much longer. The end result was spot on, even when it was just for shits and giggles.

On the final product, I'll probably port-match I by hand though, just to be sure.

>>16541803
If you've got a better way to make a set of ITB's, I'd be happy to hear it from you.
>>
File: Base Flange.jpg (32KB, 713x547px) Image search: [Google]
Base Flange.jpg
32KB, 713x547px
>>16541789
>>Scan using office printer
>>Use Solidworks Autotrace to determine the base flange shape
>>Cut from 10mm aluminium (using water jet cutter)
Sketch related.
>>
>>16541803
And in 20 years, you will still be counting pennies.
>>
>>16541803
>MUH DIMES
>MUH WORK EXPERIENCE
Congratulations on being the world's most experienced garbageman.
>>
>>16541803
Ok, so how much is 8.10 for 60 years because you will never been able to retire washing them dishes for a living. kek.
>>
File: Adapter.jpg (29KB, 708x489px) Image search: [Google]
Adapter.jpg
29KB, 708x489px
>>16541789
>>Mill 4 blocks that smoothly transition from the port shape to a round 42mm bore (using 4 axis mill) and hold the injectors
Pic related. Can't be bother to draw the injectors now.

>>16541907
>>16541915
>>16541939
Do you have any feedback, or are you just going to keep on replying to 1 poster?
>>
>>16541952
>Do you have any feedback, or are you just going to keep on replying to 1 poster?
I dont come to four chins to do other peoples homework. Sorry m8.
>>
File: Assembly.jpg (49KB, 863x523px) Image search: [Google]
Assembly.jpg
49KB, 863x523px
Final sketch assembly. Yes, I'm OP, that's why colorised it like a raging faggot.

>>16541973
I'm not looking for someone to do my homework, I'm looking for people who have already made a set of ITB's. I'm not exactly keen on wasting hours on a paperweight, I'd much rather have it be functional.
>>
>humble brag blog post

who cares?
>>
File: 428260.jpg (119KB, 1140x759px) Image search: [Google]
428260.jpg
119KB, 1140x759px
>>16541798
After looking it up, pic related is supposed to be the correct C20XE head. Nicely geometric (just 2 shapes, basically), so a set of calipers might indeed be better than scanning it.

>>16542169
Alright, I'll fuck off to /diy/.
>>
>>16542146
Not to be one to point out the obvious, but very few if anyone here has made a set of ITB's let alone functional ones. You have a better bet to go around to different auto forums and casting a wider net.

You're more likely to get shit posts here instead of real solid advice.
>>
>>16542245
>You're more likely to get shit posts here instead of real solid advice.
Too bad, I was hoping there might just be some technically adept people here.
>>
>>16542779
>Too bad, I was hoping there might just be some technically adept people here.
lmao
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.