[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Somebody fill me in on what the fuck is the proper way to handle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1986 AMC Grandwagoneer.jpg (32KB, 600x317px) Image search: [Google]
1986 AMC Grandwagoneer.jpg
32KB, 600x317px
Somebody fill me in on what the fuck is the proper way to handle a right turn in North America?

>some people tell me you can make a right turn on a red light
>other people tell me thats highly illegal and you have to wait for a green light

>other people tell me you can only make a right turn if the traffic is clear

>cue million other super specific rules about right turns

Ive always turned right on red lights if the traffic is clear.
>>
Right on red is legal in most states unless posted otherwise at the intersection. Anyone who tells you otherwise can't drive for shit and is holding up traffic
>>
File: image.gif (15KB, 462x650px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
15KB, 462x650px
>>16541417
It's different for different areas. But here in SoCal, you're good to make a right turn on a red as long as the traffic is clear, unless there's a sign stating no turn on red.
>>
>>16541428
A lot of places in Canada, Montreal is one I'm pretty sure, it is flat out illegal to right turn on red.
>>
>>16541417
To answer your question op.
1) stop at red light with right indicator indicating
2) be aware of local laws. If right on red is legal continue to 3
3) once you have come to a complete stop look all around and make sure coast is clear
4)if it is, make your right turn while you take a sip of potion and hit the three wheel motion
>>
>>16541417
In the USA if you don't see a sign that says "no turn on red" then you can turn on red if no traffic is in the way.
>>
>>16541469
>a lot of places in Canada
Pretty sure you just listed all 1 of them. Quebec used to have a province-wide rule against it but that got changed many years ago (2003?) so now it's just the island of Montreal implemented as a local bylaw. I think New York City also has a local ban on right-hand reds.

You treat a right turn on red as a stop sign more or less. Make your complete stop, yield your right of ways, make the turn when safe.

Be careful in cities though since a surprising amount of specific intersections will have signs prohibiting this during rush hour or on certain streets to avoid accidents and congestion, or to improve traffic flow/avoid using side streets as a thruway. But this will be posted at the intersection, and isn't the general rule.
>>
>>16541417
Right on red is OK in Missouri unless other wise posted an officer told me to treat it like a stop sign
>>
New York here. I've noticed that there's usually a sign that indicates you can turn red. Otherwise there's a turn arrow light.
>>
>>16541879
From the NYS website:

>Turning right on red is prohibited in cities with a population of more than one million unless a sign permits it.
>>
>>16541417
You treat it like a stop sign.

You can also turn left on a red circle light, not a red arrow, if the street you're turning onto is one way like an onramp to a highway. This may vary from state to state though.
>>
>>16541417
1. You must always come to a stop on red.
2. If you are in the far right lane, and there is no traffic, you may turn right after making your complete stop.
3. If there is a sign that says "No turn on red" then you cannot turn on red.

It's honestly pretty simple. Treat it like a stop sign as >>16541795 pointed out. Normally the "No turn on red" signs are at places where you can't see oncoming traffic well enough to safely turn out.

That's how it is in the states I've lived and drove in along the east coast. Major cities may have different rules as they have a much higher flow of traffic so turn on red would barely ever be applicable.
>>
Right on red is legal basically anywhere except a few select places in poor areas because the people are too stupid to be expected to look to their left at incoming traffic without having an accident. If you happen upon one of these it will be easily marked and desu you can ignore it if you are smart. A cop won't care. Just like they don't care if you do an illegal u-turn. They have better stuff to do.
>>
>>16541879
I hate right turn arrows. Only seen one though, just have to use it a lot. Should be common sense like the rest of the state and not up to a slow-to-react system. Then again it's in new Somalia and none of the women can see left or right with those damn hijabs.
>>
>>16541417
The dmv states this for your state. Here in cali its legal unless posted that you cant.
>>
>>16541927
In Ontario we only see arrows when it's specifically appropriste to turn right, as in you're being given right of way.

For instance when a single direction of cross traffic is turning left (turning to go the opposite direction as you are currently). This means if you're turning right, there's no traffic which would interfere with you. The green arrow means "turn right on this 'red', don't stop, you've got right of way".

Quebec for some reason has arrows all over the fucking place.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.