[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's it like owning a used Mercedes Benz? I'm really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: mercedes-benz-clk-350-6-jpg.jpg (233KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
mercedes-benz-clk-350-6-jpg.jpg
233KB, 900x675px
What's it like owning a used Mercedes Benz? I'm really considering it but I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that's going to constantly break down. I've heard BMW/Audi is known for exactly that. So basically what I'm asking is, if it has been maintained at least somewhat well and there aren't any mechanical issues, would it be a good move? I'm considering the clk in particular not sure what year tho
>>
File: IMG_8338 (1).jpg (173KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8338 (1).jpg
173KB, 1024x768px
>>16539850
I currently own a 2009 CLK550 and have previously owned a 2003 CLK500. I picked mine up with low miles, all service records, and I had a PPI done before buying it. I've had it for 2 years and it hasn't given me any issues, just regular maintenance. If you want a CLK, look for a 2008-2009 CLK550, it's the best model of the W209, other than the Black Series. Do not buy a 2007 model, as it will have this issue: http://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209/429085-m272-273-engine-cam-adjuster-magnet-balancer-shaft-sprocket-issues-dtb.html
>>
>>16539850
>Mercedes: Reliable for a long time but when something breaks, it's big and will cost you big
>BMW: Reliable most of the time but will have little things, parts cost isn't too bad
>Audi: Get ready to get fucked hard

So if you want problems few and far between but expensive when they happen, Mercedes. If you want little inexpensive things happening occasionally, BMW.

But for god-sake don't get an Audi.
>>
>>
W204 owner here. Mercedes, more than the other German manufacturers, makes rather simple cars to work on. Yeah, there's electronics that can go bad, so buy one with less options to save yourself the hassle. Mechanically, they're simple and conventional to work on, with any major issues well documented.
>>
>>16539850
Old Diesel Mercs on W124 or W123 are nice.

I'm prob sentimental about this, bc my Dad owned a 1991-ish Merc Coupe, which I thought was the coolest car ever, and the car I currently drive is my dead grandfathers. Guy was awesome.

They are fun to drive, and they for the most part retain class. Do I feel like I'm driving a shitbox? No, I feel like I am in my dream car. I love it.

Parts?

Well, depends. My Dad was a mechanic, so he just worked on the three mercs he had, so maintenance was cheap for the most part. I don't have the same skills, but replacing old merc shit is expensive in bursts.

Recently got car up to snuff for smog, cost 4700$. Tranny fucked a while ago, but was about 800$.

Funny story about the tranny:
The timing chain had completely broken. When we brought the car in, the mechanic said that voodoo had brought us there. Minimal damage, considering it was an underlying problem that spread bad.

Current car: 1992 Mercedes E400.

The only car I want to own.

(Besides hoepfully a older diesel in the future so smog isnt a pain in the ass)
>>
Can confirm what other posters have said. When they go wrong they really go wrong. But great to drive inbetween. You do need to be really careful about service history, the older ones can take a lot of abuse before shit really hits the fan, so make sure you get it inspected so you know what you're getting into.
>>
>>16540468
At least he learns some new skills and gets a car lift out of it
>>
>>16540468
What could they possibly need to do that would cost you 57k?

You're better off buying another car at that point
>>
File: IMG_20170123_025441.jpg (2MB, 4640x3480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170123_025441.jpg
2MB, 4640x3480px
>>16540507
I have a w124 diesel and I think it's a nice little sedan.
>>
>>16540636
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/r63-amg-the-unicorn-of-my-destruction/110824/page1/
>>
File: Mercedes Benz 300CE-24.jpg (220KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
Mercedes Benz 300CE-24.jpg
220KB, 1200x800px
>>16540507
This, get a W124 convertible
>>
>>16540507
Sure, it's a cool looking classic Benz that everyone across the globe from day traders in Picadilly, London to Tomboctu, South Africa recognizes.
But it's also just a really old car. Wires have corroded, vacuum hoses have disintegrated, pistons have etched. And it's not a completely common old car, like a VW Bug or a Toyota Tercel. Therefore sure, you might be able to find some parts at prices just shy of highway robbery, imported from Stuttgart directly.
But you'll get tired of having to fix shit on a monthly basis. There will be days where you just park it at the local Whole Foods, and get your normal vegan lactose free almomd milk ice cream, check out then get back to the car and it won't start. Then you're just sitting there with melted ice cream while you wait for your bro to bring his jumper cables only to find out that its not the battery or the alternator, or the starter, or the fuel pump, or the radiator, but instead, its the head gasket. You knew you had an oil leak, because you saw that shit turning into chocolate milk the last time you changed the oil, but you put it off because no way in hell the legendary Mercedes luxury tank would ever fail THAT hard.
But it did. And you just did some extensive Googling while you were waiting there and you realized that fixing this is going to require a scavenger hunt of over 12 parts that are going to cost a mortgage payment to import, and 16hrs of labor minimum.
So you tow it back to your house and put it in the back of the driveway and decide to save up because you ARE going to fix your legendary ride. But then little Sarah is born, and you need money for diapers and daycare. Life happens.
>>
>>16540695
Suddenly it's 3 years later and that cunt of a wife Rhonda starts asking why your piece of shit Benz has to continue to rot in the driveway. You tell her shut the fuck up all it needs is a head gasket and it's good as new.
Next thing you know it's another 4 years later and Rhonda up and left your ass and took little Sarah with her too. Now you're stuck with a mortgage, and alimony, and child support while Rhonda's out screwing Sarah's new daddy, Reginald. He's wealthy of course. It's another 5 years later now, and little Sarah's all grown up! One day, she gives you a call and says she wants to show you something, asking if she can come over. It's 2hrs later and a nice looking dark colored late model car pulls into your driveway, parking near millimeters away from your old Benz.
Turns out it's a new W213 E-Class Coupe! You oooh and awww as you walk out on the pavement to greet this wonderful guest. The driver's door opens as.... little Sarah gets out of it! Of course now "little" Sarah is big-chest, flat stomach, with a fat-ass Sarah that's ready to ingest so much muscly fratboy cum that she could start her own in-vitro fertilization clinic. You ask your precious daughter, who then starts gushing about her new E300. It's a 2018 with tablet displays glued everywhere on the dash! Every single light on the car is LED! It has that new Benz smell, the fragrant scent of the murder of 100 cows. You muster up the courage to ask how your daughter obtained your modern dreamcar. "Daddy Reginald bought it for my birthday!" You try your damnest to force a smile while she hugs you, not letting little Sarah see the small tear roll down your face as you glance back at your old Benz during the uncomfortably sensual caressing between father and daughter.

You then buy a Lexus LS and stop speaking to your daughter for decades until you're on your deathbed, like the petty, autistic /o/tard that you were conditioned to become.

Do not buy this car.
>>
File: e320 cdi 2006.jpg (69KB, 640x479px) Image search: [Google]
e320 cdi 2006.jpg
69KB, 640x479px
if you want an inexpensive merc thats as reliable as possible, get a w211 e320 CDI

the drivetrain on the things is unstoppable
>>
>>16540701
Glad im not that guy.
>>
>>16539850
>Mercedes Benz

REV UP YOUR ENGINES
It's time for the Scotty Kilmer channel

Today I'm gonna show ya why Mercedes owners are faggots
>>
>>16540636
A car is always cheaper to buy than the sum of its components. It's probably a V12 AMG engine.
>>
My '97 E320 has been great. Bought it at 92,000 miles and nothing has gone out except a wheel speed sensor. It has 122,000 now.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.