[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do many EVs have such low top speeds for their horsepower?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: eO-PP02-tesla-white-bg-2.jpg (74KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
eO-PP02-tesla-white-bg-2.jpg
74KB, 800x450px
Why do many EVs have such low top speeds for their horsepower? Is there any way to improve it for the sake of future sports cars and race cars? Currently, the fastest EV production car is around 200 mph, and that's considered a "hypercar" (when other gas-powered hypercars get well over 200). If EVs are going to surpass ICEs, they have to at least beat them first. They have acceleration, but not top speed as of now.
>>
>Why do many EVs have such low top speeds for their horsepower?
Because they only have one gear
>why do they only have one gear
They only need one gear
>why don't they make one so they can go 230mph
Because nobody wants to go that fast in a production car and that era is over, super/hypercars don't even have as high of a top speed as they once did because of aero limitations.
>>
They can have both if you use multi speed transmissions or overdrives. Tesla motors aren't the torque monsters you think they are by themselves, they use a low ass gear ratio to get that torque.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfrdgyxrs8I
>>
>>16526238
>Because nobody wants to go that fast in a production car and that era is over
I highly doubt that. People are going to keep expecting more. Cars are faster than ever now, and that's not going to stop.
>>
>>16526291
Supercars/hypercars, that is.
>>
>>16526258
They tried that with their Roadster but it didn't work. I know Formula E cars use multi speeds. I guess next to no electric performance cars exist yet that this is why we don't see them yet. And at the same time, they could always work on improving single-gear powertrains to somehow offer higher top speeds. So I believe that soon enough we'll be seeing EV hypercars in the 250 mph range. That, paired with their acceleration would be monstrous.
>>
>>16526291
The Mclaren F1 (1992) top speed was 240mph
The LaFerrari, P1, and 918 are all under 220mph
Even with hypercars the top speed wars are over, and for accessible performance cars it's even less relevant. Turns out normal people don't go out and drive over 200mph often, but they do like to accelerate and corner quickly.
>>
>>16526352
>The LaFerrari, P1, and 918 are all under 220mph
Yes, but the Bugatti Veyron's top speed was was 250 mph. The new Hennessey Venom's top speed is 270 mph. The Chrion might be even faster.
>Even with hypercars the top speed wars are over
LOL no they're not. It's hotter than ever. For the last few years, it's been a fight between Bugatti, Hennessey, and SSC to produce the fastest production car.
>and for accessible performance cars it's even less relevant
But we aren't talking about widely accessible cars. We're talking cutting-edge, multi-million dollar hypercars.
>Turns out normal people don't go out and drive over 200mph often, but they do like to accelerate and corner quickly.
Completely true, but that isn't the point of this conversation. Car companies are always going to compete with each other for top speed for bragging rights and publicity even if you can't use them to their full extent in 99% of situations. Look at Bugatti. The Veyron is widely known about even to people who aren't interested in cars. But how many cars do you think they sell a year? Not many. But the reason they are so popular is that, for a while, the Veyron was the fastest production car out there.
>>
Look at the torque curve of an electric motor. It drops right the fuck off at higher rpm. They have no top-end power, which is why Tesla lovers only brag about "ludicrous mode" 0-60 and don't mention that there's even Civics that can beat them in roll races bone stock. If an electric motor were geared, the amp draw to reach high speeds will quickly cook the wiring and motor controller, and don't try and say that they can just use beefier components. We're talking some pretty insane components to handle what you're proposing.
>>
>>16526416
Bugatti loses huge amounts of money on every Veyron they sell, which is hardly any. Hennessey is an outed scammer that's maybe made 2 Venoms, who knows if the "record" is real. SSC is in the same kit car tier as Hennessey. None of those cars are notable whatsoever outside of clickbait auto sites and facebook. The manufacturers that make actual cars that you can buy and are properly made, like Ferrari, Porsche, and Mclaren, haven't used top speed as a metric in a long time. Rednecks build 230mph Camaros in their sheds, it's not a great accomplishment.

To answer your question again, in the same way, but maybe this time you'll understand, it would be trivially easy to make any production EV have a much higher top speed at the expense of acceleration, but no manufacturer or customer cares about top speed, and the few people that do think it's relevant whatsoever are certainly not in the position to buy anything but an econobox because they are certainly a teenager posting in facebook car meme groups.
>>
>>16526474
I'm not saying you're out-and-out wrong, but this sound suspiciously like a rationalization of declining technological and engineering prowess.

>we could send men to the Moon, we just don't WANT to! Yeah, that's it!

The Nurburgring leaderboard isn't terribly convincing one way or the other.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.