[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My buddy lost his liscense 7 years ago. He was dailying his Grand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 2003-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee_16578.jpg (749KB, 2607x1283px) Image search: [Google]
2003-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee_16578.jpg
749KB, 2607x1283px
My buddy lost his liscense 7 years ago. He was dailying his Grand Cherokee with the 6 pot, but when he lost it he parked it in his garage and it has sat there for 7 YEARS. He didn't prep or drain anything. He said he was starting it every weeks or so until it ran out of gas, at which point he left it be.

Now he wants me to help him get it running again. What's my plan of attack /o/?
>>
>>16518041
Get a new battery and fire it up, enjoy those glorious engine sounds
>>
File: 1483813008309.png (58KB, 824x2316px) Image search: [Google]
1483813008309.png
58KB, 824x2316px
>>16518053
So after 7 years I don't have to worry about any fluids or anything? Shouldn't I at least squirt some oil into the cylinders or anything?

I get that these engines are bulletproof but damn.
>>
>>16518041
replace battery
replace air filters
replace oil and brake fluid (power steering fluid and tranny fluid should be ok, but check levels)
thoroughly check all rubber parts (hoses, belts, dust sleeves in the suspension)
if the timing belt is old, replace it to be on the safe side

if it was in a garage (ie no rain), you should be good to go
make sure you check everything for leaks again after running it for a bit

if he put the parking brake on, the pads are likely rusted stuck so you'll have to pry them apart
>>
File: WP_20161215_22_55_55_Pro[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20161215_22_55_55_Pro[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>16518041
Drain the engine oil and replace
Drain the coolant and replace
Drain the brake fluid and replace
DRAIN AND REPLACE EVERYTHING
Also swap the battery
Tires will be toast for sure
Swap the serpentine belt
Check the filters if there are by any case rodents in there (mice, rats, squirels, dog food...)

That means if he wants to daily it again. Otherwise, just crank it and drive it till it blows up.
>>
>>16518064
The brake fluid accumulates moisture over time, which can boil if the brakes get hot, so you should replace it when you can.
>>
>>16518064
Change the oil, retard.
>>
First of all, get one spare battery, and a spare fuel pump. Check to see if the engine is free (if it's not stuck). The onboard diagnostics should tell you if there's some major shit wrong.

I'd also expect to have expenses on suspension parts, too.
>>
>>16518041
If it ran out of gas, you'll have to fill/bleed the fuel line.
>>
>>16518140
If it was parked indoors, I see no reason why he might need new suspension parts, aside maybe from rubber sleeves.
>>
Change the oil. Then see if it starts and runs
If it does then change all other fluids.
>>
>>16518041
It it ran out of gas the fuel pump is likely fucked.
>>
>>16518094
>timing belt
It's a chain you scrub
>>
Its actually good yhat he ran it out of fuel. Add a couple gallons of premium and a bottle of injector cleaner, charge the battery and give it a crank. Once you know It'll run, let it warm up and keep an eye on everything while its idling. If sounds good, change oil/filter, coolant and profit.
>>
>>16518053
>>16518041
also film it and post results
>>
>>16518041
>My 2001 Blazer sat for the same amount of time in a garage before I got it.
>3 years of daily driving later
>Obviously I've done all the fluids that was immediate
>Needed a new battery and hookups to start they were hurting
>1 year needed new sway bar links which isn't uncommon anyways
>3 year need intake manifold gasket because of mah dexcool that was in it when stored
>fuel pump went out about year and a half
>Transfer case motor just went out god damnit
>same 10 year old Goodyear wranglers
>probably buy another set
To be fair some of these are not uncommon to the car anyways.
>>
ohh also the serpentine belt I did right off, after about 300 miles of driving it had chunks ripped out of it
>>
>>16518041
Change your friend. Why the hell are you hanging around this fuck?
>>
>>16518107
how many miles can i drive it before it blows? can i transport to my house near by?
>>
>>16519776
You'll be fine if you let it warm up first to make sure it doesn't overheat or seriously fuck up inmediately. Like most guys have said probably batteries and an oil change before it moves to your house then other fluids and filters right off. Changing all that will give you a pretty good chance to inspect random bits of rubber that might be hurt in the car. When you do the coolant flush I'd probably just pull the radiator to see if it's all rotted out. It probably needs an inspection sticker anyways so just take it to the nearest shop and they'll probably point out somethings you can do yourself way cheaper.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.