[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would a 2004 WRX be a good first car to learn to wrench on or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

Would a 2004 WRX be a good first car to learn to wrench on or can I permanently fuck shit up easily?

this is coming from someone who doesn't know anything and would just buy a Haynes manual
>>
I'd go for something cheaper desu
>>
glass transmission
have fun with that shitty first gear syncro
>>
Just buy a pile of shit off craigslist for like 500 and fix it.

You fuck up, you're not in the hole.
Then you could get the wrx

Thats what I would do at least
>>
>>16513755
No. Too easy to fuck up, especially with that glass transmission.

I would get an Ecotec powered 2003-2005 Chevy Cavalier or Pontiac Sunfire. retard-easy to work on, and a decent bulletproof manual to learn on (Getrag F23). And if you want, there's glorious aftermarket for it.

Also, with the FWD, they're not bad in the winter.
>>
>>16513773
>>16513790
This OP
>>
>>16513773
this
start off on something cheap and use the money you would of spent buying the wrx on parts for the cheapo shitbox and tools. lots and lots of tools. You can't fix shit w/o tools no matter how well you read a haynes manual.

also skip the haynes paperback and just google everything. more often than not there will be a how to for what ever you're trying to do.
>>
>>16513755
Ive heard they are easy, and mechanics like working on them

Start with a civic or something first if you want to start wrenching, basic stuff and its hard to permanently fuck something up
Also way cheaper, and if its something you'd find difficult (head gaskets or something) you wont be deep out of pocket
>>
>>16513814
this senpai , get some tools
>>
>>16513814
>>16514322
>>16513773
these guys have the right idea. when you buy a car you're actually going to care about, you'll want to have the ability and confidence to do shit right the first time, and 99% of wrenching is just taking shit apart once or twice to learn how it goes, then you can do it in your sleep
>>
>>16513755
>one of the most value retentive cars on the planet
>meme boxer motor that requires the literal removal of the engine just to check oil level
>meme transmission that albert einstein himself wouldn't be able to figure out

Absolutely not. Go buy a NA Miata and learn to wrench on that
>>
>>16513771

What? What's wrong with the first gear synchro?
>>
Yeah go for it! Also invest in a lift and engine hoist. Learn how to pull that motor to do head gaskets. A guy I work with has done so many that he can have the engine back in, running, in about a day and a half. See if you can beat his time!
>>
>>16513755

Get a cheap 4-cyl shitbox on craigslist

A conventional inline-4 (i.e. a SOHC Honda D series), is much easier to work on, and will give you a general feel for working on a car, and less of a chance to fuck up when compared to that hot turbo-boxer mess shoehorned into that WRX.

Since boxer engines are only really common in Subies, you would be better off learning wrenching in general on a Civic or something.
>>
>>16513755
this, I fucked up my step-sisters mazda 3 so hard changing the brakes on it. accidentally cut the brake line a little and just wrapped it with ducktape.
>>
Currently have a WRX but 2005 model which is pretty much the same shit.

I've never worked on cars before. how are they to do basic maintenance serving jobs?
>>
>>16515516
Not bad, there is easier stuff to work on they are not as bad as the /o memes
>>
>>16515516
>how are they to do basic maintenance serving jobs?
changing the spark plugs is suicide-tier hard.
>>
Speaking as someone with an 06 WRX who wants to learn how to do the same thing, doooon't. Fun car, but they're high-maintenance.

I'm doing what everyone else is suggesting, gonna grab a >$1500 shitbox car of some sort. Doesn't mean you can't find something sort of fun.
>>
Buy a Saab.

Cheap as fuck these days and they all come with a turbocharged motor so you can learn all about intercoolers and bypass valves and vacuum lines and shit. When you feel like fucking around, you can buy ship your ECU to somebody and have them tune the fuck out of it for like a $150 and then drive the shit out it.

Saab community is also anal retentive as fuck and are driven by generations of mechanical and academic egg-heads so there's also a massive pile of DIY info on the internet.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.