[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Friends, we're all aware of the impending doom autonomous

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: Screenshot_20170118-100056.png (966KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170118-100056.png
966KB, 1440x2560px
Friends, we're all aware of the impending doom autonomous cars are creating. Possibly destroying our ability to drive in coming years, but this now is exciting. Imagine the roads being free of rich soccer mom's in their SUVs and rich asians in Mercedes. They'd all be taking autonomous flying "cars" while the roads become the enthusiast's playground.

If accidents become less frequent, law enforcement will not be as strong as presence on the road as well. The roads will be much less crowded and we could see increased difficulty in getting a driver's license (which I believe would be a good thing). If driver skill increased in general and as I said before, crashes decline, we could even see an increase in speed limits.

Major companies like Apple, Google, and Airbus are all creating and testing technology in the field and honestly, autonomy is much better suited to flying than driving.

So how excited are you for autonomous flying cars /o/?
>>
>Imagine the roads being free of rich soccer mom's in their SUVs and rich asians in Mercedes.

Yep, they will all be in the air....above us...while we eat.....sleep....minding our own business....crashing into each other........falling down on us.

Lets not forget about the allah snackbars.
>>
>that picture
It's not a car if it can't drive on the roads

If it can only fly and not drive, it's a fucking airplane.

Or a helicopter.
>>
I for one don't give a shit because I live in rural Australia
>>
fifty year olds with beer guts will still tbone other cars coming out of intersections because they can't be fucked to look up from their candy crush game
but this time the car and its lardass contents fall onto your head at 9.8 N/kg
god bless
>>
>>16511352
>teh terriss gun take are freedoms
ROFL
>>
Are you people honestly this fucking retarded? All of those fucksticks already have access to personal airplanes and they don't go around fucking shit up all the time. Flying cars aren't for drivers to be able to fly, it's for pilots to be able to drive the same vehicle they just flew. Airplanes have a maintenance schedule monitored by the FAA, THE FUCKING FEDS. Why would the flying car (or roadable aircraft) be any. fucking. different? And if you do get some rich fuckup that doesn't put fucking oil in the engine do you know what happens? HE FUCKING DIES WHEN IT CRASHES. And I'm not even talking about autonomous ones. The point of the autonomous ones is so the soccer moms, slant eyes, & admiral akbars CAN'T FUCKING CONTROL IT THEMSELVES. They put in a location & it FUCKING FLYS THEM THERE. NO. FUCKING. CONTROL. There's a reason they call you fucking /o/tists.

also
>2 of the 3 companies use manual

t. one of the people actually making one
>>
I hope it works out the way you say, OP.

>mfw socal canyon roads get turned into a giant track

And for that matter if autonomous road cars work out for the worst at least we'll have ultralights.
>>
>>16511352
>>16511410
Haha but you forgot, they won't be allowed to drive. It's autonomous.

>>16511360
Literally what I was thinking, that's why I said "cars". They're obviously aircraft

>>16511762
As long as we don't have both. But I honestly can't see the benefit of having an electric autonomous car over an electric autonomous "flying car" if you can still go to all the same places. So hopefully the autonomous car won't go too far.
>>
Flying "cars" have too many variables inherent in their design and they won't be viable until science is advanced to futurama-tier "might as well be magic." Because they'd be small, the huge weight differences between 1 to 4 passengers and whether they're skinny or fat would affect the handling in a massive way. Because people are idiots, they'd have to have sophisticated true autopilot, no input from the drivers at all, or else you could only sell them to licensed pilots. And because of lackluster reliability inherent in the auto industry and the fact that ANY failure of almost any part would cause a fatal crash, they would need some over the top sensor suite that could detect when something is about to fail, and ground it before it happens. Then you'd have people mad that they have to spend so much on mechanic visits because "it was working perfectly fine and then my Check Wing light came on for no reason, I don't need repairs"
Also even at low elevations, as long as you're above the treetops, wind is a big issue. The autopilot would have to know how to compensate, or people simply wouldn't be allowed to fly in inclement weather.

Flying cars won't work with the tech we have now. We need anti-gravity drives and propulsion so overpowered that no amount of wind could knock the vehicle off-course, and maneuvering could be as precise as ground-based vehicles. We need VTOL without helicopter blades or jet engines. We need mechanical reliability on the level of sorcery.
>>
>>16511785
>if you can still go to all the same places
big if. especially if electric ends up working for road vehicles but not for aircraft, which seems plausible.
>>
>>16511785
Cost. Local taxi/rides are companies stay grounded to keep fleet costs down, and have a small fleet of aerocars for "premium" customers.

Airlines will love the fuck out of them cause it lets them pick up their high end customers straight from home to the airport and then on to their end destination in the most overly pompous and cushy vehicles ever fucking built

And then uuber can give you the option of paying 2x or 3x to get a flying car instead of a regular one and skip ground traffic
>>
>>16511812
otoh, aircraft could keep infrastructure for gas alive even if cars don't, so that would be neat0
>>
Better yet, we can remove so much of the unneeded tarmac with nature restoration or parks and the world will be so much more beautiful.
>>
>>16511336
We Jak and Daxter now
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.