[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are fans of some engines directly driven by the engine and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 24.jpg (82KB, 1160x1176px) Image search: [Google]
24.jpg
82KB, 1160x1176px
>>
>>16494133
The reason they're there is for cooling.
You only see fans directly drive by the engine on older cars.
Why? Because electronic computer controlled fans are better. They turn off when not needed, turn on when needed, and have a shroud to properly direct the cooling air where it's needed..

On a lot of restomods, you'll see them switching to electric fans
>>
>>16494151
Saw (or better heard) them on some not that old Pathfinder or Pajeros, too so I wonder if they're obsolete why are they still used (or at leas have been used till not that long ago)
>>
>>16494151
FJ cruiser uses a belt driven fan
to be fair, the thing has shitty milage anyway
>>
File: pg18_01b.jpg (88KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
pg18_01b.jpg
88KB, 640x480px
>>16494151
mech fan>electric fan

they also have shrouds, clutch fans also only turn on when needed, they also last 30 years unlike shitty chink electrishit fans that die after 3 years

the reason people make the switch with old cars etc is because it looks sleeker and its not always easy to source a fan clutch that still works
>$300 oem for fan clutch
>$60 for electric fan
>>
>>16494151
>On a lot of restomods, you'll see them switching to electric fans
And almost every time the installation is shit. Usually laughably undersized coupled with almost comically simplistic control methods, most of the time they'd have been better off with a decent thermal clutch fan and shroud.
>>
>>16494151
Electric fans aren't able to produce the cfm that a decent mechanical fan can. That's why heavy duty engines in trucks don't use electric fans. There is no feasible way to move that much air using a 12 volt system.
>>
>>16494133
Direct mechanical is best. Thermal clutch a shit. Electric laughably shit.
>>
File: anime-rekt.gif (3MB, 300x282px) Image search: [Google]
anime-rekt.gif
3MB, 300x282px
>>16494501
THIS
H
I
S
>>
>>16494235
The electric fans in my car have been going strong for 20 years
>>
>>16494501
That's why Delphi is developing a 48 volt system for cars
>>
>>16494501
i've seen some damned good electic fans that pull some good cfm
>over $300
interest lost
also they pull an assload of current, so you'd need to retrofit a higher amp alternator (or pay out the ass to have a factory one modded for higher output)
>>
>>16494501
volts isn't equal to power output, but the higher output for electric motors you either increase operating voltage and can get more out of that motor if it can take it, or the motor can be made to stay 12v and just have a higher amp draw
volts x amps = watts
look at rc electric cars, you either increase voltage or put a higher power motor which has a higher amp draw at the same voltage
>>
Transverse engines don't use them as they wont be facing the radiator and lots of cars just don't need them as the electric fan is designed to only turn on when the radiator coolant isn't cooling down enough, like when the car is at a stop.
>>
>>16494151
>They turn off when not needed, turn on when needed, and have a shroud to properly direct the cooling air where it's needed
Everything you just described is a thing with my 1JZ, and it's a mechanical fan.

It's also so powerful i've been told that i'd need 2 big-ass electric thermo fans to replace it.
>>
>>16494133
Mechanical fans are more efficient but sound terrible. Source: Ford 250 Crossflow
>>
>>16494133
You see mechanical fans on longitudinal-mounted engines, because it can be conveniently put behind a radiator, it's simple, cheap and it works just as well.

Electric fans are used when more than one fan is needed and it's necessary for transverse engines which don't have the necessary hardware right behind a radiator.

There is no real difference between the two, apart from the obvious wiring required for electrical ones.
>>
>>16497707
>but sound terrible
I feel ya. Real hot days in traffic cant even hear the rotary go brap brap.
>>
>>16494167

can confirm pajero engines are still running mechanical fans
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.