[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it even that common for manual drivers to rev match? The way

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 14210475755290.jpg (53KB, 640x438px) Image search: [Google]
14210475755290.jpg
53KB, 640x438px
Is it even that common for manual drivers to rev match? The way I was taught to downshift was to just do it the same way as you upshift; take your foot off the gas, floor the clutch pedal, shift, release the clutch and accelerate.
>>
File: 1457340381370.gif (994KB, 500x320px) Image search: [Google]
1457340381370.gif
994KB, 500x320px
yeah but rev matching is a billion times cooler so fuck you
>>
I was driving with my friend and was super suprised when he couldn't rev match, I really thought it was one of the fundamental things people had to learn while driving manual.
>>
>tfw you fail to exactly rev match despite taking extra care
>tfw you nail your rev matching unexpectedly on other occasions when paying much less attention
>>
>>16488803
You should rev match to prevent raping your clutch like you're doing now.
>>
File: image.jpg (749KB, 1778x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
749KB, 1778x1334px
>>16488803
That's engine braking. If you want smoothly downshift, rev match.
>>
>>16488809
Centipede's Dilema
>>
>>16488815
That's not engine braking at all, that's just being retarded.
>>
So I've been driving forever and am still not clear on Rev matching.
That's where when you downshift you blip the throttle before engaging the gear right.
>>
>>16488803
I do it all the time. makes the ride smoother

>>16488815
That is not engine braking. Engine braking is when you are in gear, off the gas, and the car slows down.
>>
>>16488815
>doesn't understand engine braking

never change /o/
>>
>>16488822
Before engaging the clutch is the important part.
>>
Off topic: how do you shift wirthout slowing down? Whenever you shift you must take your foot off the gas but when you do you slow down.
>>
>>16488837
Is there a way to know how much to rev for each gear?
>>
>>16488803
Idk wtf is up with your car but in my car if i don't rev match my car will jerk and unsettle it also it's not good for the drivetrain rev matching is for smoother driving and taking care of your drivetrain

>>16488850
Every car is different you're gonna have to learn how much to rev between shifting but typically it's around 1k-1.5k higher rev
>>
>>16488803
Rev matching's only really useful as a race technique or if you're driving hard on the road. Both of those situations mean you'll be high in the rev range & moving at speed so downshifting is jerky enough to warrant rev matching. If you heel toe or double clutch while driving normally or in traffic you're retarded because the combination of lower speed and revs isn't enough to make downshifting jerky unless you're downshifting at too high a speed for the gear you're downshifting to. If you think the clutch wear from not rev matching is significant enough to warrant doing it all the time you're also retarded.
>>
>>16488843
Don't take your foot off the gas and just bang the limiter and pretend you're in rally
>>
>>16488850
Not too much and not too little. Go by ear.
>>16488887
>not raping your clutch is a racing technique
kill you are self
>>
>>16488887
Kys my man, i downshift and heel toe while regular driving. Its fun and smooth out driving
>>
>>16488961
>Raping your clutch
The only reason this would happen is if you're fucking up your downshifts somehow. I've yet to kill a clutch this way.

>>16489055
>Smooths out driving
At high speeds or if you're braking hard. Maybe you should reconsider your shift timing if downshifting normally in traffic is rough for you.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.