[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are K&N filters just a meme or do they actually do good things?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: tmp_26106_1482827412210776434286.jpg (357KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_26106_1482827412210776434286.jpg
357KB, 1280x854px
Are K&N filters just a meme or do they actually do good things?

I bought an STP air filter but now I have second thoughts
>>
K&N filters let more dust into your engine, and they don't make a difference in engine performance. You did fine op.
>>
thanks for rare kot
>>
>>16485530
>I bought an STP air filter but now I have second thoughts
Fram air filters are also good. I've never seen any evidence of leaking in the air passage even when shining a light parallel to the surface to look for grit.

K&N filter users have commented about how they see fine dust coating the air tube.
>>
>>16485530
OP, I am going to give you the best answer there is: sometimes.

Here's the thing. K&N air filters generally allow more airflow for greater airflow to the engine. This may or may not be something that is useful for the engine. Take for example Nissan's vg33e engine. It is essentially a slightly scaled up vg30 engine. While they increased the displacement, they didn't do much to improve the airflow from the intake that the engine needs. As such, adding a K&N filter improves airflow and increases HP (slightly) and fuel economy. Considering the fuel economy of the engine isn't that great, yes, it is worth it.

However, to get the airflow, you have to have a filter that is more porous. It has larger holes. This is somewhat mitigated by the oil on the filter, but must be cleaned regularly. It will allow more material through the filter. Not likely enough to cause long term harm, but it is there.

tldr;
Does it filter better? No.
Does it allow better airflow? Yes.
Does that matter? It depends.
>>
The only reason to get one is for saving money. Had my car 12 years and only had one k&n filter whole time recharge kit finally ran out still will be cheaper than buying an air filter every 6months or 10k miles. No engine problems either
>>
>>16485530
second thoughts about what? the 1hp you're missing out on? dumb brainwashed faggot
>>
File: IMG_1479.gif (120KB, 600x487px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1479.gif
120KB, 600x487px
>>16487764
BEAHAHahahaAgahssaha
>>
>>16485530
Cant find the video but there was one on youtube where they built a wind tunnel type of thing and tested all kinds of air filters. At lower RPMs like DDing to work/school the paper filters let just as much air through as the "racing filters." Paper only starts to become restrictive at high RPMs.

tldr: dont worry about it.
>>
What about oil filters? I've just bought my first euro car and it has cartridge filter and they're be brands I've not heard. Mann, mahle, ecoguard, pentius. What do i pick brah. Honestly i feel like picking an ac Delco or a k&n since i actually know those brands
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.