[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the advantages and disadvantages of the Panther Platform?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: lincoln town car.png (1MB, 2400x900px) Image search: [Google]
lincoln town car.png
1MB, 2400x900px
What the advantages and disadvantages of the Panther Platform?

If you find a PP car with less than 30k miles on it in great shape for less than $8k, is it a good deal or should they be avoided because they are 6 years dead and parts will be harder to find now?
>>
>parts
>hard to find for panther

What?

And what the fuck is a PP?
>>
There will undoubtedly be more parts, for years to come, given how many produced and the fact that most parts between '92 and 2011 are interchangeable
Under 8k? All day, 30k miles? Kinda doubtful considering the newest ones are now six years old.
-panther owner
>>
>>16460988
Look between ur legs :^)
>>
>>16460988
police package?
>>
>>16461041
Panther platform
>>
>>16461073
Depends what your looking for, and what year.
>>
+ it's big
+ it's cozy
+ it's body on frame
+ it's reliable with not many things that can go wrong (intake manifold on pre-03 cars notwithstanding)
+ standard FR layout with a huge hood means everything in the engine bay is easy to get to, standard oil/plugs/fluids takes like an hour or two
+ parts are literally everywhere, the last generation of Panther bodies ran from the early 90's to 2011 with primarily only cosmetic differences, entire front and back ends can be swapped around as well if you want a Marquis front end on a Town Car or something
+ drivetrain is shared with the same year Mustang GTs (2-valve variants)
+ will do hektik skidz very easily on snow and gravel
+ absolutely massive trunk space
+ possible options, depending on year, make and model: 6-disc CD changer... in the trunk, column shift with 50/50 split bench seats, digital dashboard, heated and/or electric memory seats, limited-slip differential with 3.27 or 3.55 gears (standard eq. is an open 2.73 diff)- rear end is a standard Ford 8.8" so go nuts if you want

- it's big
- the back seats aren't actually that roomy
- it's heavy as fuck
- it isn't fast
+ it'll still do burnouts and has more than enough torque to push through steep inclines, passing lanes and Priuses
- RWD takes getting used to if you're a weenie
- seriously these cars are fucking big, good luck parallel parking for the first few months
- getting harder to find good examples, look for Mercury Grand Marquis if you want a great Panther- most Crown Vics are ex-police cars with the shit beat out of them, and Town Cars have lots of little bits and parts exclusive to them because "luxury"
- air ride suspension will inevitably shit out, find a car with normal shocks if you don't want to deal with that
-? if you get a Crown Victoria everyone will think you're a cop
- if you put a bull bar and lights on it we'll call you a faggot

verdict: Do it, faggot, just remember 2003 cars have axle issues that may or may not have been fixed.
>>
>>16460988

>PP
Panther Platform, my own idiot abbreviation but I thought it would be obvious considering I just mentioned it. Guess I shouldn't have assumed shit.
>>
>>16461022

I actually found one with less than 30k miles for that price. It is the car pictured, 2006 lincoln town car Signature L (longer wheel base, roomy back seat, all features available at the time minus a sun roof, which is great because I hate them)
>>
>>16461100
>standard FR layout with a huge hood means everything in the engine bay is easy to get to
On my first gen Town Cars with the 302 Windsor the plugs are a bit of a pain to service, though I can't speak for the 4.6
>>
>>16460973
>disadvantages
15 mpg
>>
>>16461212

>15 mpg

Throughly and completely debunked by literally every single owner of Panthers on this board.

Look at getting between 20-25 mpg on average. 15 if try to drive like an absolute mad man, and closer to 30 if you do a shit load of highway travel.
>>
>>16461224
15 city is about right for my first gen Town Car. Maybe I drive like an absolute madman, I don't know
>>
File: IMG_20160603_150027853.jpg (4MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160603_150027853.jpg
4MB, 4320x2432px
>>16461174
>On my first gen Town Cars with the 302 Windsor the plugs are a bit of a pain to service

Not at all, especially after you throw the smog pump and related bits in the trash where they belong.

>>16461212
>tfw my 275k mile 5.0 lopo with 3.55's got 25mpg repeatedly on the highway. I need to bring that wagon back to life.

Town Car's are the GOAT panther though.
>>
>>16461232
>first gen
Well yeah I think OP generally wants a newer one. My old 5.0 crown vic gets about 12 city.
>>
>>16461174
Easy as hell on the 4.6, just have the move the fuel rail on the passenger side to get to cylinder 4.

Assuming it's the 2-valve version, of course. I have no idea what the DOHC 4v is like.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.