[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just picked up an old '68 Chevelle because I watch too much

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: n201a.jpg (60KB, 581x336px) Image search: [Google]
n201a.jpg
60KB, 581x336px
Just picked up an old '68 Chevelle because I watch too much Roadkill and wanted a project car.

Stats:
>mid-70s 305, non-running
>oil and coolant on ground when turning over, assuming blown head gasket
>Powerglide trans

Should I bother with that engine/trans or just LS/4L swap it?
>>
>>16454703
engines fucked

how much you pay for it?

junkyard ls carby swap
>>
>>16454719
Junkyard 350/350 swap that thing my dude
>>
>>16454719
$2200. Body is great tho. It's got a Performer RPM intake and big edlebrock carb I can re-use also.
>>
>>16454703
OP here forgot to mention pic is not related
>>
>$2200 for a wrecked shitbox that doesnt even run

JUST
>>
>>16454755
$1500 shipped to your door for a crate 350 complete from oil pan to valve covers. Reuse the intake, rebuild the carb if it's 600-650cfm (700+ is useless on stock 350s)

While you're at it order

>new fuel pump
>new fuel pump pushrod (go factory GM or ARP)
>replace valve cover seals as they ship the blocks with shit gaskets, I'd recommend a one-piece oil pan seal too
>spark plugs, plug wires, get a new distributor as well
>break in oil, moly break in lube for the distributor
>3 oil filters and the oil for it as you'll be doing 2 changes fairly soon
>run break in, let cool, drive ~20 miles following directions with motor, cool, change oil, more break in lube and oil, new filter, change @ 500 miles

>if you want more power, headers will help greatly and are cheap
>if you go headers, I'd suggest getting locking header bolts as well as ceramic boot spark plugs they're worth the dosh
Transmission rebuild should be about $900 depending what's in there, you can buy aftermarket built TH350, TH350c, 700r4's for $1000-1500 depending how built you want it.
>>
>>16454703
>305

Garbage, source a 454 and drop that in
>>
>>16455163
I'd replace the radiator while you're at it, calipers, rotors (if drums, see following) rebuild the drums and wheel cylinders in the back and front if no discs.

Wiring will likely have some minor to bad issues depending on a myriad of things. Expect bushings to all be worn and shot, motor mounts will need to be replaced as well as the transmission crossmember mount, go poly if you can on those, replace any soft brake lines, inspect hard lines, check for rust everywhere and prevent or stop what you can.

/CCG/ will be your new friend.
>>
>>16455163
I just saw one on CL for like $350, reckon it's worth it?
>>
>>16455617
A sbc 350? Could be, could be a time bomb.

Here's the thing about junkyard or "ran when pulled" engines, you never truly know. They could be low miles, they could have 200k on the clock, you don't know if they got maintained well, or what kind of use it experienced, the list goes on, and applies to any and all engines.

Shit, I gave away the 305 out of my truck when I pulled it, flatout said it burned oil and had a shitload of miles on it and was abused, someone picked it up that afternoon to throw into his car to just keep it on the road while he built an LS3 for it.
Depends on your budget and if you're able to tear the thing apart and fix it too. Could grab a cheap engine that claims to run for cheap, and just go right into a rebuild on it, can then build it accordingly too.
>>
>>16456086
I feel ya. Idk, I think I might spend more than $350 getting that 305 running, depending on what's fucked, and even then it'll be a 305, whoopee. Might as well try the 350.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.