[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /o/ newcomer here I want your opinion on my first car purchase.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 2005-Pontiac-Grand-Prix.jpg (204KB, 2286x1199px) Image search: [Google]
2005-Pontiac-Grand-Prix.jpg
204KB, 2286x1199px
Hey /o/ newcomer here

I want your opinion on my first car purchase.

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

I saw it while browsing kijiji
>canacuck i know
and It seems like a gem for the price, and it included safety and emissions test. However it is a Pontiac and I've only heard bad stories from them. I'm not by any means a car guy however after purchasing it I have been doing a lot of research on how to maintain as much as possible myself.
>>
People here will recommend you a civic so just be aware.
>>
>>16445487
stay away, they're money pits
>>
>>16445487
Great engine, everything else is shit. Why does a coupe not exist?
>>
>>16445487
I recommend a Japanese contemporary, like an Accord, Maxima, or Camry.
Pontiacs arent known to be the most reliable and carefree cars in the world.

BUT if you check it out, like the way it feels and drives, and dont see any warning signs like an overly clunky transmission, any smoke coming out the back, or any odd leaks, go for it. It's your life, live it.
>>
>>16445487
>inb4 3k civic
But a Civic isn't actually a bad buy, desu.
I've heard everything without the top trim engine is garbage, and the auto is a hand grenade in disguise. I've heard you can't rust the bodies off them if you tried, however.
In Canuckistan, be VERY careful about rocker panels, I picked up a broken, non-running Civic because the rocker panels were decent, and there's no regret yet.
>>
File: image.jpg (170KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
170KB, 960x720px
>>16445487
OH! One more thing, throw away any other suggestions, buy a Toyota Echo. Please.
>>
>>16445487
The 3.8L V6 is bulletproof. The transmission is not. The car will likely rust to dust around you before it stops running. A friend of mine has almost 300k miles (482k km) on his 2005 model.
>>
also NEVER TRUST A MECHANIC TELLING YOU THAT THE CAR IS DEATH
One of my friend went from a Grand Am to an Aveo because that.
>inb4 they both suck
>>
File: 1483007657649.jpg (60KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1483007657649.jpg
60KB, 900x900px
HURR DURR civic for 3k
>>
Honestly I like my gtp, it's not to slow, handles nice, fits my two kids and German Shepherd in the back, has a fuck huge trunk. But this year alone I've had a new transmission, injectors, a bunch of gasgets, swaybars, all the recalls. When the fuel is aroud 3/4 full it will randomly say low fuel, my traction controll turns off and the gauges die, and it just hit 76k.
>>
Is that the supercharged variant?
>>
>>16445831
2004-2005, the GT was a N/A 3800
2004-2005, the GTP was the supercharged version
2006-2007, the GTP was killed off and the GT became the supercharged model while the N/A 3800 was relegated to the base model.
2008, the supercharged GT was killed off leaving only the base model 200 HP N/A 3800 and the 300 HP 5.3L V8 GXP model (introduced in 2005)
>>
I would take a look underneath first. Nearly every one I've looked at has a lot of fluid on the bottom because the dexcool eats the gaskets if it isn't flushed. Look in the coolant reservoir and see if its clear or muddy looking. Take the plastic engine cover off and look at the intake and valve covers. There was a 2008 a few days ago that was completely dry on the bottom which which was surprising. Its nothing that can't be fixed though. Its my first car, got it used with 85k, did the intake gaskets at 120k and two of the four channels were full of dried up stop leak, after getting the stop leak out I noticed there were holes in my intake where the buildup was.
>>
>>16445977
Mines an 04 btw
>>
>>16445533
>>16445519

I was going to go for a civic but this guy priced this car amazingly compared to other people.

I was surprised to see a v6 when I went to see the car originally as I just want a eco shitbox but it feels good to drive desu. Also it was in the price range of a 2002-4 civic at similiar condition and warranty
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.