[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /o/, been eyeing this 88 Fiero GT with 139,000 miles for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0424.jpg (50KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0424.jpg
50KB, 600x450px
Hey /o/, been eyeing this 88 Fiero GT with 139,000 miles for about half a year and its price keeps going down every month and its down to $3500. Fieros have always interested me and after doing some research 87 and 88 GTs seem to be the most desirable and kinda harder to come by.

The guy seems to be pretty forward that it isn't a perfect vehicle, and checking the VIN didn't raise any suspicions. I'm new to buying cars so I figured I'd post the ad itself:

>1988 Pontiac Fiero GT for sale. Regular oil changes, uses syncromesh in the Getrag. Comes with some extra parts and pieces, I'm getting out of the Fiero business for now.

>The good:
>Lots of work done.
>Shifter assembly/cables completely replaced/rebuilt, along with short shifter, using Rodney Dickman parts.
>Sunroof entirely rebuilt.
>Rear suspension almost entirely new, using Fiero Store performance poly parts/Rodney Dickman parts.
>Clutch/flywheel/slave cylinder brand new, still has a few miles left on the break in, using Spec parts.
>Aftermarket ignition coil
>Momo Steering Wheel
>Brake booster upgrade
>Aftermarket stereo, works with stock performance sub
>Paint is in decent shape, a few scratches here and there

>Replaced:
>Dew wipes (Fiero.nl vendor, did drivers side but still have to install passenger side)
>Door hinges rebuilt (Rodney Dickman, did drivers side but still have to install passenger side)
>Clutch master cylinder
Speakers
>Other stuff, can't recall everything

>The bad:
>The usual wear and tear on the interior - some chipped dash corners, leather driver seat needs to be recovered, and rear glove box cracked
>One sail panel is cracked, the other has heat spidering
AC needs recharging
>The engine could use a good bath...

Thoughts? My concerns are how much has been done to it/its mileage but it seems like with a little work it could be cool
>>
>>16431773
Do you like being on fire?
>>
>>16431783
I thought engine fires were only really a problem in the earliest models
>>
File: 20161225_104137.jpg (4MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20161225_104137.jpg
4MB, 4128x2322px
check it out like any other vehicle, but pay attention to rust. The battery compartment and the sections of frame behind the trunk carpet are good indicators

the aftermarket parts that have been put on there (provided they've been put on properly) should have the car operating rather nicely

If you do buy it, be prepared to read up a lot on it. Fieros are hilarious special snowflake shitboxes, but there is plenty of documentation out there to allow you to solve issues you might have
>>
They're pretty reliable, and parts are maaaaaaad cheap. They don't actually catch fire either.
>>
File: 20170104_203225.png (351KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
20170104_203225.png
351KB, 720x1280px
>>16432161
Oh?
Also
>2700lbs
Wew
>>
File: 1483079244498.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1483079244498.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>>16432174
lol you didnt even read it did you
>>
>>16432174
Only happened in the first two years and on models with the iron Duke, the V6s didn't have fire issues
>>
If your going for a Fiero you've made a good pick. The '88 GT was the first Fiero GM got right, but it was too late at that point cause the car had a bad rep from previous years.
>>
>>16432174
The fire reputation was due to one batch of early build 4 cylinder 1984 model year cars, which were all fixed
fuck off.
>>
>>16433035
also 88 Formula

but the GT is the best looking model.

im currently trying to find an 88GT with a blown motor for my race car.
>>
>>16431827
This guy pretty much nailed it.

The fact that the dew wipes were replaced will save you a lot of pain. Don't expect to find a GT without a cracked sail panel or two because it's happens to the best of them. Considering the milage though you probably want to start saving your pennies for an engine swap if you want to keep the car for a long time.

Also, make sure you check under the trunk carpet for rust. It'll give you a pretty good idea of the condition of the car's frame.
>>
>>16434115
At about what mileage would the engine be prime for replacement? And which engine would be the best?
>>
>>16434712
>which engine would be the best?
An LS.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.