[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/QTDDTOT/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 47

File: QTDDTOT.png (79KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
QTDDTOT.png
79KB, 1000x1000px
Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread thread

Post your questions here and helpful anons will answer them!
>>
Previous thread: >>16384054
>>
Is there any difference in the exhaust ports off the block of the Duratec 30 vs the Duratec 35? I want to see if this header kit will fit on my Fusion Sport
>>
>>16429287
Forgot link:
http://nautilusperformance.com/index.php/en/online-shop#!/06-08-Mazda-6-MSDS-Header-Kit-with-Cataylic-Converter/p/64532017/category=2181184
>>
Do I touch metal when welding or no?
>>
Need to ID a car

>engine in the back
>manual
>hatchback
>sports car, capable of street racing
>european
>almost positive its name was an acronym
>name might begin with G
>existed in 2012
>>
Is it wierd to have a friend test drive a car you intend on buying? Can't drive stick but want to learn, and the best way seems to be to buy a manual since i have no access to one.
>>
>>16429458
>capable of street racing

fuck does this even mean? every car is capable of this
>>
>>16429496
No, in fact, if you have a buddy who knows his shit it makes more sense for him to drive it than you
>>
>>16429509
Thanks anon, have a cookie. Hope it doesn't hurt me from a bartering standpoint.
>>
>>16429496
Nah , as long as your buddy knows what to look for. I've been that guy for multiple friends over the years.
>>
>>16429445
Ask /diy/
>>
>>16429516
"Hi, I'm anon, this is mechanic anon who's going to take a closer look at the car...."

Actually will probably improve your ability to jew a seller on price. Also, always, always, always buy a pre-purchase inspection from a mechanic. It's worth the 100 bucks you spend just to know you're for sure golden.
>>
>>16429445
Yeah, just wear thick gloves.
>>
does autozone resurface flywheels?
>>
>>16429642
No but they will most likely know a compadre that does
>>
>own 97' japanese shitbox
>do short burnouts sometimes when driving with friend

Am I already on my way to completely wearing out this car or am I overreacting?
>>
>>16429445
Do you mean hold, or do you mean as in do you touch it with the stick or line?
>>
Is it acceptable to not skip lug nuts when putting tires back on? I saw some guy do it at the shop and I was always told that you're supposed to skip one or go in a star patten.
>>
>>16429458
You mean the Renault sport Clio?
>>
>>16430240
Its just good habit to do a star patten, and just going in a circle could mean that not all bolts were torqued down correctly.
>>
>>16430251
yeah he was using an impact wrench in a circle and that last nut didnt seem right. glad it wasnt my car! thanks anon
>>
How cold does it have to be in order for the car to have any problems (starting or whatever)? Also, what would the low temps cause?
>>
>>16430437
Depends on the condition of the car, the cars battery, if the proper ratio of coolant/water is there, whether its carbed or EFI and if it has the proper oil in it or not.

Generally cold causes hard, or no starting in most cases.
>>
>>16430455
I'm mostly concerned about the coolant, how cold would it have to be for it to freeze?
>>
>>16430514
Per google:

>The minimum freezing point temperature is at about −36 °F / −37.8 °C corresponding to 60–70% glycerol in water.
>>
File: IMG_0616.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0616.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
End of November I got new tires and lug nuts. Love the tires, but I just realized one of the nuts. I got dorman 611-299. I'm not a car guy, but I think I got nicked
>>
>>16430642
>that curb rash

You apparently can't drive for shit so, not that it matters much.
>>
File: IMGP6209.jpg (270KB, 800x531px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP6209.jpg
270KB, 800x531px
Can I plastidip my brake calipers or will it melt? I plastidipped my wheels and my engine cover and they are holding up alright and they get pretty hot.
>>
>>16430651
I'd rather have it be my reckless driving than someone else I have to worry about.
>>
>>16430668
Probably a bad idea, would hate to have that shit flake and get caught in the pads.
>>
>>16430668
Depends on how efficiently heat transfers from your pad to your caliper. I don't think the caliper itself gets terribly hot in any car but I could be wrong. Never touched one after a spirited drive.

But why would you plasti-dip a caliper? That shit comes off easily and the wheels are always getting blasted with debris so it'd wear out and look ragged pretty fast.
>>
>>16430240
Do it in a star pattern. It ensures that you get the wheel properly pressed to the rotor and evenly tightened.

>>16430437
Like >>16430455 said; too many coefficients to give a straight answer

Where are you, what temperatures do you see, what do you drive (with engine type and all) and more info you see relevant

>>16430514
>>16430526 is correct. A car usually has 50% coolant/glycerol or more depending on where in the world you're located, so you're probably safe unless someone has swapped it all out with straight water and you'll be in below freezing temperatures

>>16430668
It'll melt/peel off. An engine cover and a wheel do not get "pretty hot" when you compare them to how FUCKING hot a caliper gets
>>
>>16429809
what shitbox specifically?
generally cars don't suffer from mashing the throttle every now and then, because they're built with limiters to prevent you from revving too high. You're just wasting tires. Taking corners hard all the time is worse because suspension components wear way faster when you're taking it to the limits of lateral traction.
>>
>>16430685
>But why would you plasti-dip a caliper?
Just wanted to change up the color without anything permanent. I've resprayed the wheels different colors 3 times now.
>That shit comes off easily and the wheels are always getting blasted with debris so it'd wear out and look ragged pretty fast.
Mine have held up pretty good, but I respray them every few months, so I don't know how long it would hold up in the long run.
>>
>>16429237
Do you guys keep med kits or any related supplies in your vehicles? I'm thinking about keeping a few basics in my jeep, wool blankets, splints tourniquets even IV kits and the like. Is that just unnecessary to do so?
>>
>>16430816
Nah, if you ever drive out of town for any reason, it's a good idea. I always keep a small bag of camping gear and a first aid kit in my car just in case.
>>
File: ll.jpg (55KB, 600x322px) Image search: [Google]
ll.jpg
55KB, 600x322px
>>16430816
make sure there's water
>>
Sup guys pls help

>2009 Camry LE
>always parked outside, don't have garage spot
>has never required any repair at 110k miles
>finally something went wrong
>since last week brake light and ABS light come on intermittently for no reason
>when this happens, both the speedometer and the RPM indicators stay at 0
>basically the entire fucking dashboard stops working every once in a while

What is the problem likely to be and how much will a repair cost? A fucking diagnosis alone would set me back $100 or so
>>
>>16430832
I was thinking about keeping camping gear in my KJ. I'll honestly probably only use the medical supplies to treat those with me as not to get sued.
>>16430841
Maybe for general use, but in an accident or if someone gets injured, giving the victim anything by mouth can add risk to a surgery.
>>
>>16430876
Are you driving an ambulance? Keep shit in your car that'll keep you going in case of a breakdown. Getting stranded without water sucks.
>>
What's a good supercharger for the Toyota 86? Anything?
>>
>>16430642
Who the fuck replaces something after they steal something?
>>
File: 645987312.jpg (819KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
645987312.jpg
819KB, 3264x2448px
What's the best way to fix this?
>>
>>16431135

m8 there's no way to fix a finger that looks like a sausage
>>
>>16431135
Superglue or Jb weld.
>>
>>16431147
Didn't even know I had fat fingers.
>>16431174
Thanks.
>>
File: g110VX7021-F.jpg (41KB, 620x378px) Image search: [Google]
g110VX7021-F.jpg
41KB, 620x378px
I wanted to put a new radio in an old car, specifically a gps/radio thing like pic related, specifically in a mk 2 supra.

Will this work? Are there any more options that will fit the 80s look but still be GPS (not that I need it, the option is cool though)?
>>
>>16430865
Sounds like there's a fucky CANbus connection in there somewhere.
>>
File: PaycheckEater1.1.2016.3.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
PaycheckEater1.1.2016.3.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
How much should a inspection cost if I leave it at the shop? I've had my car a bit but I want to have it inspected by a mechanic on a lift to make sure nothing is waiting to go wrong. Oh, and the check engine light comes on if I idle too long or if I go on the highway for 10 minutes.

AR, USA

Tune up should be around $150 for a V6 right?
>>
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/680787287/overview/

Should I? I've been holding out for a different color/not garbage dealership but I haven't seen anything else come up in weeks that actually fits my criteria
>>
>>16432810
>that actually fits my criteria
As in even shows up in my search, not just ones I excluded in my head
>>
I know it's a retarded question, but about how much am I looking at to get a car tagged and titled? It's in MD so I think it's gotta be titled, temp tagged, inspected, THEN permanent tags issued.

I've just never done that stuff myself so I don't know how much to plan for
>>
why the fuck wont my bonnet latch?
used to be it would latch 50% of the time but now it just wont latch at all
i forced a screwdriver into the latch and it worked fine but the bonnet wont latch no matter what i do
>>
>>16433152
>>16433152
Was the car ever in a front-end accident?

My Geo had the same problem and the core support was munched on one side. I had to take the headlight bucket out and stick the scissor jack in there when I first got it to get the hood to latch properly.

Try moving the catch up a few millimeters.
>>
File: 20160517_183137_2.jpg (352KB, 2500x1876px) Image search: [Google]
20160517_183137_2.jpg
352KB, 2500x1876px
>>16433366
pic
>>
CAR AUDIO

I have a 4 gauge wire coming from my battery to my current 250W amplifier.

I was given a 2nd 250w amplifier and a 1100w 10" subwoofer.

Can I run the 4 gauge to a splitter, then run two 8 gauge cables to power and ground my 250W amps??

I don't like it loud so I don't know if I'll be drawing much power...

Thanks duders
>>
>>16433366
yeah its been in a front end smash, the lower cross member has a big dent in it
but it latched more or less even after the accident so i dont see how its related
>>
File: rubber hood bumper.jpg (49KB, 468x500px) Image search: [Google]
rubber hood bumper.jpg
49KB, 468x500px
>>16433560
That'll do it lol

If the hood lines up with the fenders pretty well when it's latched (If you can get it to latch) move the catch up a few MM.

If the hood sits proud of the fenders a bit, screw in the adjustable bumpers. Pic related.
>>
>>16433575
one side of the hood dips lower than the other and i dont have any adjustable bumpers
>>
>>16430865
I don't know if this may apply here, but euro chevys come shipped from the factory with a pulled fuse and the ABS module disconnected so the cluster doesn't come on and miles are not registered (you can still erase the miles with a computer if they are less than 100, but they do this anyway), maybe check the big connector on the ABS pump to see if it's properly on.
>>
File: 76868061.png (138KB, 576x832px) Image search: [Google]
76868061.png
138KB, 576x832px
>Radiator temperature difference
I think I might have a bad thermostat, what are normal temperatures for radiator hoses?

Higher one is 83c and lower one is 52c.

Also, the thermostat is under the distributor, is there anything special I should know about removing it and setting it back up? I assume bad timing won't fuck things up as much as a bad timing belt.
>>
>>16433978
The higher one is the one that counts, it should be at normal temp, whichever may that may be for your car (probably 90°C).
Usually a bad thermostat causes the coolant to take a lot of time to heat up and possibly to stay lower than normal if it's particularly cold outside.

What does your temp gauge says? Is it always in the middle?
>>
>>16433999
Always in the middle, then it overheats but stays in the middle.

I think it's overheating, when it gets too hot it shits all the oil out and I only notice when I lose power. Never drips when it's parked.

I figured the thermostat must be stuck closed, not open. Or the pump.

Either way I have everything I need to change the thermostat so it's getting done.
>>
>>16433978
I can't quite remember but there should be about 5-8*C difference between the hoses. Not the 30* you're seeing. Does it overheat? How long did you drive it when you took these readings and what's the ambient temperature?

Yes, bad timing can fuck an engine up. If it's too advanced it'll ping and if it's retarded you'll have no power. If it's run off the end of the camshaft that's easy to put back into place, you only have to worry about setting initial advance/retard.
If it's driven off a helical gear you'll need to put it on TDC on #1 cylinder and pray you don't get it 1 tooth off.
>>
>>16434006
Changing a thermostat is pretty straightforward anyway
>>
>>16434006
>it shits all the oil out and I only notice when I lose power.
wat
>>
Hows the difference in the Tacoma 2.4 vs 2.7 5 speeds?
>>
>>16434010
Ambient was 25c drove it to the carwash and back, 2-5km.

>>16434014
Should be easy but they made it difficult in my engine. Put it under the distributor.

>>16434016
>On a trip
>Check the oil
>Oil full
>Drive 20k
>Up a hill, suddenly won't accelerate
>Oil empty
>Engine smoking
>Temp gauge is sitting happily just below half way
>>
>>16434021
>>Oil empty
>>Engine smoking
i think your problem is a bit worse than faulty temp gauges
>>
>>16434021
That might not be enough distance to open the thermostat.
Does it overheat on a flat road after a few km or was it just that hill? Because heating up on a hill is pretty normal.
>>
>>16434031
I know there's bigger problems, but they only seem to come out when it gets too hot. So I'm doing the cheaper things to keep it from getting too hot.

Fixing the real problems will cost more than the car is worth.

>>16434032
Only on the hill in summer.
I'll take it for a longer drive tomorrow and take some more reading.
>>
>want to change timing belt in my backyard
>cant be that hard right just gotta change a belt and make sure not to move crank nor camshaft
>look in the shop manual for my car
>big run around involving removing the crank pulley and other shit
cant i just change the belt and leave the crank pulley on?
i just gotta slip the timing belt behind it right?
>>
>>16434051
>Cut the belt in half as a strip
>Pull one half off
>Slide new belt halfway on
>Cut other half of old belt off
>Slide new belt all the way on
>>
>>16434042
>Only on the hill in summer.
Hill means more load on the engine (more heat) and lower speed (less airflow, even more heat)
If anything you have bent fins or bugs in your radiator. Or your cooling fan isn't working properly. Or both.

>>16434051
You have to take the pulley off to get the timing belt cover off.
>>
>>16434067
Fins are clean and straight, radiator is relatively new.

There's two fans, one spins and I assumed the other comes on when it's hot enough. I'll try getting it "hot enough" and see if it comes on or is fuckes.
>>
>>16434061
i dont understand at all
>>16434067
>You have to take the pulley off to get the timing belt cover off.
holy fuck that sounds like a giant fuck around
>>
>>16434069
You can test the fan by pulling the relay and jumping the switched terminals.
Or unplugging the fan and hooking it up directly to the battery.

>>16434072
It's not a "giant fuck around" it's pretty damn easy.
>>
>>16434051
Nope, the pulley has to come off because that's probably the only way to remove the belt covers, and the external pulley is much larger than the timing pulley, which makes removing/inserting the belt much more difficult if not impossible.

Also, the timing pulley may have alignment marks on it, so you have to remove the external pulley anyway to see them and make sure you get the timing right.

Don't be a pussy, it's either one big bolt or 4 small bolts to remove the pulley.
If you go as far as deciding to do a timing job in your backyard, removing a pulley is the least of your concerns
>>
>>16434094
Usually there's a mark on the timing pulley and an arrow or something on the oil pump housing.
The one that really had me scratching my head lately was a Geo Metro. Dimple on the timing pulley, nothing on the oil pump housing.
Turns out the dimple lined up with the tensioner spring screw lol.
>>
>>16434105
>Usually there's a mark on the timing pulley and an arrow or something on the oil pump housing.

"Usually" the markings are all over the place, they might be on the oil pump, the water pump, the engine block, part of the timing cover that is not supposed to come off, the oil pan, you name it.
It all depends on how shit is organised on the timing side of the engine.

The timing marks on the external pulley are usually on cars that are equipped with a distributor or on engines that no longer have distributors, but still use old hardware (like pulleys), because that way you can set your distributor without taking apart a lot of stuff.
I wouldn't use those markings because the corresponding arrow that aligns with the pulley mark is sometimes on the timing cover (for the aforementioned reason) and you still need to remove the cover anyway so you can't use that.

I don't know what engine OP may be working on, but removing a pulley is literally 4 bolts at worst and it makes your life so much easier when changing a timing belt.
>>
>>16434051
>Put engine at #1 compression TDC
>Remove accessory drive belt
>Remove accessory drive pulley
>Remove upper and lower timing belt covers
>Remove timing belt
>Remove timing belt tensioner
>Remove water pump (Because you should change it whenever you do the timing belt)
>Install new water pump
>Install new timing belt tensioner
>Lock tensioner all the way over in maximum slack position
>Move cam pulley ~1/2 cog in direction of engine rotation
>Install belt with slack on tensioner side
>Release tensioner
>Lock tensioner wherever it sits
>Turn engine over at least twice by hand
>Recheck timing marks, if they don't line up repeat timing belt installation process until they do
>Put covers, accessory pulley and belt back on
>You're done.

Time elapsed: 4-5+(1*number of cams) hours
>>
Purchased a 09 vibe that had been in a minor mva mostly cosmetic. Looking for some quick tips on repairing it.

Ordered a bumper cover from paint n' ship on ebay. Are they generally fairly accurate with their color matches?

Also, the lower air resonator was destroyed its a 90 dollar part. Is it worth it to buy another one or just leave it off? Seems to drive and run fine without it.
>>
>>16431359
Depends on what size radio slot you have but yes it's doable
>>
File: 01717_aOyDRNDEtUt_600x450.jpg (29KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
01717_aOyDRNDEtUt_600x450.jpg
29KB, 600x450px
Should I?
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/5942590930.html
>>
>>16434580
JUST DOOOO IT
a realy nice car to built up and have fun with it
>>
>>16434580
Sup there fellow Oklahomo. Where you live at?
>>
>>16434580
>>16434595
Also rev up that por-15 because that nigger is going to be even more rusted than it looks in those shots.
>>
How much should I offer a dealer for an '06 unmolested Hawkeye WRX with 150,000 miles, extensive maintenance records, and a clean vehicle history report?

3-owner, dealer has it listed at 10,500.
>>
>>16434595
I'm in Tulsa but I spend a lot of time in Edmond visiting my dad too.

>>16434601
Yeah I expect it's going to be pretty bad. My dad always helps out this family with money or watching their kids and the man supposedly does good bodywork, so hopefully I'd get a good deal on some work.
>>
>>16434827
There's even a clean e31 head listed on Craigslist too. I have some spare money and I had planned to buy some parts for my FRS and then save up for a Z. It's sooo tempting.
>>
So I removed the central console of my car (Volvo C30) to find a faulty connector and I found an optic fibre cable coming out of the radio unit.

What's the deal with that? I have never seen such a cable in other cars and I was wondering what advantage it may have over a traditional wiring harness
>>
Passenger side door sill is dented after getting acquainted with a riverbank. I can open and shut the the door but only if I go full linebacker and hit/lift it like a pro.
Any reason I shouldn't just take a hammer to it? Car's already a beater.
>>
There are so many options for basic test tools out there. What is a cheap yet complete enough tool for
>fuel pressure test
>ignition spark test
>compression test
>radiator pressure test.

I want tools that are good quality, but aren't incredibly expensive
>>
File: bls.jpg (39KB, 736x534px) Image search: [Google]
bls.jpg
39KB, 736x534px
>>16434673
Question bump before I leave work
>>
>>16435124
I'd try to get them down a bit due to the high mileage.
>>
>>16435142
Like a grand? I'd be okay with 9,500.

I just don't want to get laughed out of the dealership for lowballing since I look younger and they may not take me seriously.
>>
Evo VIII, IX or X?
>>
I have to buy new battery for my Mazda6 diesel. Size is 303mm x 173mm x 220mm, 95Ah and about 760-830A starting current would be good.
What I found: Exide, Dupex, Varta, Bosch, Baren, Banner. I heard that Exide, Bosch and Varta are not as good as epensive, Dupex lasted 5.5 years. What should I buy? I don't mind if it costs 100 or 140, justbe good and last long, but not 200. Oh and I'm in Europe, so USDM products are a no go.
>>
>>16434874
Home audio uses fiber optic on occasion to connect devices, it probably serves a similar purpose
>>
>>16435037
Are you using them only once or twice? Just buy harbor freight.
>>
>>16434964
You sure it's not the hinge that's bent or damaged?
>>
>>16435168
IX

X lost the essence of the Lan Evo and I can't talk about the VIII, never drove one.
>>
>>16435156
Keep in mind that since you are the buyer, you have the power. If you don't think the car is worth what they're asking leave and wait for a call back.
>>
>>16435197
You didn't really answered my question tho..What's the advantage of fibre optic (whether it's on a car or on home systems) over normal wires?
Is it just fancy shit for the sake of being fancy? Is it cheaper? Is it better somehow?
>>
>>16434827
Shiieet, my old man lives in Tulsa, I grew up around 122nd aka one street over from Edmond. 240z and 280z are notorious rust traps, only warning I would give. I would love to restore one.
>>
>>16435210
Positive. I can see the lip on sill the dent made and the door has a normal range of motion until it's inside the frame.
>>
File: 1473730729910.jpg (30KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1473730729910.jpg
30KB, 500x375px
My front suspension is squeeky how fix??
>>
>>16434964
>Any reason I shouldn't just take a hammer to it?
You might also look up the PDR videos on youtube. But they probably don't deal with bent sills.

As to hammering, I guess you'd put some sort of friction reduction such as a thin rubber sheet or even car wax between the piece of wood and the car. Then you'd hammer on the wood. The use of something between the wood and paint is to reduce the scratches to the paint from the wood.
>>
>>16435255
As with home audio components connected by fiber optic, it means you have no conversion degradation from converting analog to digital and then back again when transmitting the signal to other components. The signal on the fiber optic is digital.

Optical seems rather far-fetched in the car audio environment though. Some cars use their own LAN system so both audio and control signals appear on the same wire. No idea if that was the original purpose for that optical fiber cable though.
>>
>>16434673
6-7K. 10k for a 10+ year old WRX is pretty steep.
>>
>>16435351
Replace bushings
>>
>>16435434
Oh ok, thanks
>>
Would you guys considering buying a Miata with 140k miles that had a head gasket and valve job? Or do fixes suggest there's a deeper problem with the car
>>
>>16436792
What year? If NA or NB then yes.
>>
>>16436805
97 m edition. Everything is pretty much stock and it's pretty clean but the person is asking for 3500 and it'd be a 2 hour drive to check out the car
>>
>>16435343
Then hammer away my friend, just be aware any flaking of paint will eventually lead to rusting.
>>
>>16436815
Sometimes shit happens, maybe he blew a thermostat or radiator and it overheated.

I'd go look at it, I mean if you like it then get it properly checked out. up on jacks.
>>
>>16436826
Thanks, one more dumb question. How much should I pay to replace an oil pan gasket? The seller says it needs to be replaced
>>
>>16436837
Not having worked on Miatas I couldn't tell you, it largely depends on how much suspension parts are positioned directly under the engine if there's not much you could easily do it yourself.
>>
File: grrr.jpg (246KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
grrr.jpg
246KB, 1280x960px
can anyone id this car
>>
File: BMW-E46-M3-CSL-15.jpg (637KB, 1900x1267px) Image search: [Google]
BMW-E46-M3-CSL-15.jpg
637KB, 1900x1267px
>>16429237
question for any e46/bmw bros:
lost some coolant due to a (hopefully) fixed leak in a e46 330i.
now my cars running low, is it going to fuck anything up if i use a gallon of diluted zerex g05 (benz coolant) until i can pick up oem bmw blue tomorrow to bleed the system?
thx
>>
My BMW just came up with a alert that says "Increased Emissions!". When toggled to see the report it says that there is an emissions related malfunction and to get the car serviced soon. I don't have any money to do so at the moment.

Is the car still okay to drive?
>>
>>16436987
Looks like a 70/80s era Mercedes 300TD
>>
Has anyone used quiksteel before? The package says it hardens in 5 mins, and is done hardening after about an hour. Does it require air to harden after the initial 5 mins? Just used it to fix something, and had to overlap it a few times because i didnt want to cut too much off to be able to knead and place it properly. Didnt realize that might be an issue until afterwards.
>>
>>16435351
More pics of kitty plox
>>
>bonnet being fucky
>have to slam it shut then wang it a few times for it to latch properly
>take the latch off to clean it and grease it up a bit
>now wont latch no matter how hard i slam it
i looked at the latch as i lowered the bonnetthing and it seems like its simply not going far enough to engage the lock
theres nothing obstructing the bonnet so i dont know what the fuck is wrong
>>
Coolant leaking from the passenger side. Only leaks when I turn it off. I drive a 2004 Jetta. Father is telling me it's just air and to just keep driving until all the air is out. Recently had the entire left side replaced.

Is he right?
>>
How do I get good at driving? I keep trying and it just isn't clicking, I can't feel where the car is or how fast it's going. I'm pretty sure I just suck and there's nothing to be done to fix it.
>>
>>16437925
How are you practicing, and how often? How long have you been driving? It didn't click with me for ages.
>>
>>16437310
Its Probably ok, but why did you get a bmw if you're broke?
>>
>>16437128
From what im told xerex is compatible with BMW blue
>>
How can I learn stick?
>>
>>16437891
If you took it off you probably misaligned it putting it back on there, there should be some wiggle room when tightening it down
>>
>>16437906
No, your system probably needs to be burped, but it shouldn't leak.
>>
>>16439143
Buy a manual car, have PO teach you how to drive
>>
>>16439155
PO? I need to learn it before I buy one. I have to commute to work everyday, I can't be stuck with a car I can't drive
>>
>>16430921
I dunno, check Perrin
>>
>>16435351
What kinda car is that?
>>
>>16439165
Then get driving lessons at a driving school so you don't rape the clutch of one of your friends' car
>>
File: weird badge.png (4KB, 261x194px) Image search: [Google]
weird badge.png
4KB, 261x194px
anyone know of a model of car with this brand? I saw 2 of them today, one was a station wagon and the other was a sedan with a huge spoiler. the badge might not be exactly correct but it was a shield with red and lightning bolt on the front.
this is in japan btw.
>>
>>16430668
They make special paint for that anon. Calipers can get hotter than the engine
>>
File: rackpinion.gif (38KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
rackpinion.gif
38KB, 500x500px
Steering rack on my 2001 Legacy is spewing power steering fluid on one side. I can take the whole thing off relatively easily, but will replacing the seals be difficult?
Replacement rack from junkyard (with 90-day guarantee): $65
>>
>>16429237

Anybody know what the smallest car AM/FM tuner I can get is?
>>
New driver here, started snowing today. What can I do or what am I doing wrong that when I'm at a stop sign and I press the gas, the tires lose traction and spin out. I'm not sure if I'm accelerating too fast or my tires tread is low, it's an old truck.
>>
>>16439665
Germanistan Motors
>>
>>16432631
Kinda late but inspections are usually about $100
>>
>>16440182
do you have any sandbags/other heavy shit as ballast in the truck bed?
2-4 bags (75-150 lbs) should be enough weight
>>
>>16440216
No I don't, what stops them from flying through my back window when breaking hard in emergency?
>>
>>16440245
>sand
>low center of gravity
they're sandbags, they're only airborne if you hit something hard while going fast
you could always tie them down or use a cargo net, Mr. Safety
>>
>>16440182
Fill your truck bed with snow?
>>
>>16429458
it's a Roush
>>
>>16440182
Is it manual? Then try to start in 2nd or even 3rd gear, only do this on snow or you will just stall the engine and/or rape your clutch if done on clean roads.
Is it auto? Does it have the 1, 2, 3 numbers on the gear selector? Use 2 or 3 to move on snow.
If it doesn't have manual selection of gears, then just try to accelerate super gently or put weight in the truck bed
>>
should I turn my motorbike off with the ignition or killswitch?
also: any germans here? how about bike mods?
>>
>get asked to go on business trip
>tell them I don't want to use my car
>they say they'll have a company car for me tonight

What should I expect?
They all drive fleet Ford Taurus', but when I asked if that's what I'd be driving, they said no.
>>
>>16440403
>There are people somewhere that ask 4chan what car they will be driving on a business trip
>>
Pretty sure my car has a vacuum leak. When i press the brakes after starting it, my rpms usually go up by a hundred or two. If i rapidly pump it, it will go another hundred or so, letting off the brake returns it to what it was at. Is this related to the vac leak?
>>
>>16439148
i locked the latch to the bonnet then lowered it to see how the latch should be aligned and all the screw holes are like half a cm too high
>>
Car didnt start this morning, it's the first time. I did (or imagined) my motor cranking slow a few weeks ago.

Should I go ahead and replace the battery, or just does it depend on the result of a test? Its the original 2012 that came from the car. The fluid is a few notches above "low" (sealed unit)
>>
I'm gonna replace my upper radiator hose. Do I need to worry about getting coolant everywhere? Do I need to flush the coolant?
>>
anyone ordered from OG Wire Wheels before?

I'm thinking about getting a set
>>
>>16439165
>Previous Owner

>Not having multiple vehicles.
>>
>>16441190
Depends on how much your car's cooling system keeps coolant in the lines.

Odds are you'll have some but not much, although it would be a good time to flush and refill any time you replace a hose.
>>
>>16441088
That's normal for old cars with vacuum assisted braking.

Vacuum leaks cause poor idling in EFI cars.
>>
>>16440394
It doesn't really matter, killswitch is usually more convenient to me.
>>
File: ss+(2017-01-01+at+05.24.40).jpg (443KB, 947x974px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-01-01+at+05.24.40).jpg
443KB, 947x974px
Poor student here.

Should I inquire about this car, or should I look for a better volvo 240?

I need a new dd. My current car (dodge) has an early CVT tranny with 200k miles on it and it is starting to overheat. when it dies the car won't be worth fixing.
>>
>>16441249
For a grand, it's fine. The mileage is pretty high, even for a Volvo. I'd be sure to figure out the "problem" it's having before buying though
>>
File: koreanshit.jpg (154KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
koreanshit.jpg
154KB, 1024x768px
Thinking of getting one of these hyundai coupes with a 2.7 V6. Can pick them up around 80k miles for pretty cheap. Never dreamed I would even be checking out a Hyundai so anyone got any experiences with these?
>>
Outside door handles on my supra are all jacked up, I just found some donors.

I have to put a whole new driver's door on (new one no rust), but my question is how the key will work? Anybody ever replace just the handle? Can I take the little keyhole and port it over?
>>
>>16441340
I've replaced door handles on a Volkswagen, Chevy, and a Toyota.
On each there was nothing more than a wire clip holding the lock barrel into the housing. Changing them out was easy peasy.

You might have to take the lever that actuates the rod going to the latch off, but that's just one screw.
>>
File: P1000813.jpg (43KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
P1000813.jpg
43KB, 480x360px
>>16441388
Once I took it all apart I kinda see how they're interchangeable. 2nd part of the question: the lights (in any car) on the drivers door, near the bottom? What can I call those, to search the Internet for a replacement?

I search "drivers for light" and get all the wrong stuff. It's the light inside the door, near the bottom. Pic related, bottom left
>>
>>16441461
Try "door courtesy light"

I think that's the proper term anyways lol
>>
>>16441479
Yup... That was the name, 1st result in Google, thanks man
>>
This has most likely been asked to death, but I'm learning a 5 speed for the first time; when do you shift up?

My teacher gave me the rule
>under 20, 1st
>20 to 30ish, 2nd
>30 to 40, 3rd
>40 to 55, 4th
>beyond that, 5th

How universal is that? I think I have the hang of down shifting. Example
>going 45, turn coming up
>clutch in, neutral, feather brake
>come to stop at turn, check for cars, brake still in, go to 1st
>no cars, clutch out, throttle in, make turn

Sound right?
>>
>>16441612
It really depends on the vehicle but for a good balance between economy and acceleration I try to upshift around 3,000 RPM, which in my car works out to:

>1 to 2: 16mph
>2 to 3: 30mph
>3 to 4: 47mph
>implying there's a 5th gear

Your car will be different and you'll either use a tachometer or doing the math on your transmission gears and final drive to figure out what speed corresponds to 3,000 RPM.

Once you have that all figured out, you can get a feel for how wide the RPM gaps are between the gears, and then you can start learning to rev-match on downshifts. Until you learn how to do the upshiftin' good, keep on coasting with it in neutral like you are.
>>
File: il_570xN.564320246_6wix.jpg (103KB, 570x656px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.564320246_6wix.jpg
103KB, 570x656px
Why hasn't a motorcycle manufacture come out with a 666cc bike? I feel as though it would get some popularity
>>
https://www.allensauto.com/windowsticker/vehicle/815220/2006_MITSUBISHI_LANCER_ES

opinions on this? looking for something good and reliable under $5000
>>
I always see people say you shouldn't use a sponge when cleaning car, is this true? I got one of those buckets from armorall with a bunch of cleaning stuff and it had one microfiber towel and a big sponge. If the sponge isn't safe to use on paint, can I at least use it on my wheels? I'm not too worried about the rims getting small scratches on them as I would be the paint.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (111KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
111KB, 1280x720px
Has anyone with severe clear coat failure tried products like l'oxide? How does it work? I read that it kind of makes the paint duller, can you wax it and make it look new again?

Trying to make my shitbox great again
>>
i was going to buy a $3K civic or any other econobox in that price range but my parents said that it's a silly idea to buy something with over 200K km

i don't really want to spend more than $5000 canuck dollars
>>
>>16442169
>200,000km
>125,000 miles

That's about half the life of the drivetrain.
>>
File: ss+(2017-01-06+at+08.06.30).jpg (249KB, 957x790px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-01-06+at+08.06.30).jpg
249KB, 957x790px
>>16441249
me again.

How does this look?
>>
I'm gonna rice my shitbox but I can only afford one thing at a time. What order do I add these things?
- decent wheels and matching tires
- body kit
- paint

Paint after body kit seems obvious but I could also paint it the color I want first and then paint the kit to match when I get it. I feel like body kit without new wheels would just look tryhard where the wheels make it legit. I've currently got just steelies and I want wrc style wheels.
>>
File: thelastoutpost_hd_181.jpg (360KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
thelastoutpost_hd_181.jpg
360KB, 1440x1080px
My catalytic converter has begun to break apart inside of it's housing and rattles constantly now.

I'm trying to start a new business and really don't have the extra money to have a new cat put on, and I don't have the metal working tools to cut tailpipe and reweld

How do I find someone Shady enough to bust up the inside of the cat empty it out and reweld the tailpipe back on?

> my car doesn't have any Downstream sensors from the catalytic converter
>>
>>16441760
>>>16441612
>doing the math on your transmission gears and final drive to figure out what speed corresponds to 3,000 RPM.
Or...You know..He can look at the speed when he is at 3k
>>
>>16441884
How are you supposed to clean the car then? Ask the dirt politely to get off your paint?
>>
>>16443203
Can't your reach the inside of the cat, even if you remove it from the rest of the exhaust?

Maybe you can try to jam a big screwdriver or some other long object to break the stuff into pieces and letting then fall out the other end.
>>
>>16443830
with 2 buckets of soapy water and clean water and a microfiber towel
>>
>>16443203
Cut it off with a cheap hacksaw and put it back on with exhaust clamps
>>
File: Grabber ENGINE 4.7 (1).jpg (227KB, 1280x721px) Image search: [Google]
Grabber ENGINE 4.7 (1).jpg
227KB, 1280x721px
wanna wash my engine bay with a pressure washer
heard divided opinions about getting the alternator wet
what's the deal with that? will I fuck up the alternator if I get it wet?
also, any other components that I shouldn't get wet?
>>
>>16444176
All I've heard is you should get grocery bags and cover electric stuff like the alternator and distributor, just for added measure
>>
>>16444176
Cover up the alternator, MAF, and air filter with plastic and you should be good to go
>>
>>16444176
The official MB procedure is to cover the brake fluid reservoir and the alternator. Everything else is fair game.
>>
File: IMG_20161021_174802.jpg (2MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161021_174802.jpg
2MB, 2340x4160px
How can i make it fun to drive. Reason being: its a fucking diesel.
Should i get a Cinquecento sporting and get rid of this barge?
>>
>>16443203
Do you live in an emissions state?

I have a local exhuaust shop that decatted one of my cars for me, but I don't live in a emissions state.
>>
>>16441884
They say not to use sponges washing the car becuase they keep dirt in and after using it once or twice its more like using sandpaper on your car.
>>
>>16440403
Whatever the standard eco option from Enterprise hire is
>>
>>16441767
Probably becuase christerfags would have a shitfit over it becuase it hurt their feelings.

Pic related, christian tolerance of others beliefs.
>>
>>16441783
Unless its a Pajero, or Evo, its shit.
>>
Should I buy a
2014 Rwd 3.7L Infiniti Q50S

OR. A

2015 2.0L BRZ and Supercharge it?
>>
>>16444176
The alternator and pretty much the whole engine bay gets a lot of water when you drive in rain.
Everything that can't get wet has already been covered from the factory.

Just disconnect the battery and cover the terminals if you are really paranoid.
>>
>>16444544
you mean turbo charge, right anon??
>>
>>16444622
Whats wrong with supercharing it?
>>
got a citation or whatever a little bit ago for failure to use a turn signal when shifting lanes. i know i used my signal, and turns out the bulb had died without my noticing. how do i BS it at the hearing so i dont get screwed?
>>
On a scale of 1 to stupid how dumb would it be to build a car for multiple disciplines? For example:

>buy e30
>build e30 for spec-e30
>exchange struts/springs/tires/ect for rally
>exchange parts for drifting

I realize because the car is built for multiple disciplines its not going to be very competitive in any of them and will never make podium (if it gets through tech), but it seems like a good way to get maximum seat time out of minimal budget.
>>
File: racing03.jpg (74KB, 704x454px) Image search: [Google]
racing03.jpg
74KB, 704x454px
>>16445038
Easily achievable if you pick your vehicle and disciplines more carefully. You're not gonna rally a car and then drift it, but there are already plenty of people that drag race an autocross car with a different rear end and different wheels.
>>
>2.4l 4 cylinder Galant, Automatic (i know)
>245K miles
>smooth in all gears except drives
>in drive it vibrates pretty hard, particularly idling at a stop sign
>vibrating/shaking eases off the faster I go
>At around 20-30 its significantly less noticable
Any ideas what could cause this? I planned to go to a mechanic today to help me out, but 4 inches of snow hit so the entire town shut down in a panic.
>>
>>16445222
Not that anon, but I dont think rally/drift is to unrealistic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXjXKFOlZBs
>>
>>16445038
it's pretty doable with a miata or E30 i'd say. It just takes a lot of work to prep it for different events. Doing a job enough times I'm sure you can get quick at swapping parts.

I actually have an E30 that I autox. Planning on 1 track day and doing 1 drift event that I will be swapping a welded diff in.
>>
>>16445365
That thing is doing horribly though, and it'll probably break the second time you attempt something like that.
>>
>>16445356
Sounds like a motor mount or perhaps a bushing somewhere in the front suspension. Does it shake in reverse?
>>
>>16445365
So are we gonna ignore the half limp horse cock in that video?
>>
>>16445423
nope not at all, its very smooth in every gear but drive
The dude who sold me the car said he checked the mounts but I don't trust that at all
I ran an OBD test but the guy at autozone just told me I need a new cat converter not the actual code, so it sounds more like an O2 sensor to me. Not sure if that would be connected in any way though.
>>
File: exdriver.jpg (9KB, 263x191px) Image search: [Google]
exdriver.jpg
9KB, 263x191px
>>16445222
I'm open to different events, I've seen sentra se-r's that slay in the dirt and at the strip
>>16445402
I'm not dead set on an e30 just first thing I thought of. thanks for the advice though.
>>16445404
well it is a lowered drift car off road, I'm not going to do something that stupid
>>16445365
I actually live in texas I'll have to check that out
>>16445436
Ha, my sister owns horses so you get desensitized to horse dick after a while.
>>
>>16443826
>>16441760
>USE A TACHOMETER or doing the math
Emphasis added because you're apparently retarded
>>
>>16445465
>well it is a lowered drift car off road, I'm not going to do something that stupid
The point is that the more different the disciplines, the more adjustments you have to make inbetween. You really don't want to swap out entire suspensions and get them re-aligned and reconfigured all the fucking time. A set of wheels and a quick-change rear end are done much more quickly. My suggestion is to either build a car for various offroading or a car for various asphalt racing, but one car is never going to do both.
>>
>>16445462
An O2 sensor shouldnt make your car run like shit in just one direction.
If he did actually check the mounts, then maybe you have a bad bushing/ball joint/tie rod?
But I never take the word of the PO as truth, sellers are almost always liars.
>>
>>16445481
Yeah from what i've seen even if the cat converter was fully blocked up it wouldnt be like that. It seems to me it is the mounts considering its worse when not moving than it is when moving.
>>
>>16445492
One last question:
You said in every gear except for drive (P, R, N, 1, & 2), it is smooth as butter, right?
Only when you put it in D, it starts to shake correct?
>>
>>16445356
sounds like transmission/transaxle/transfercase/whatever the fuck mitsu uses to me
>>
>>16429237
Is it safe to put high grade fuel in my 2011 Honda fit?
Will it give me more range per tank?

I sometimes deal with road trips/emergencies and wonder if getting supreme fuel instead of regular would increase my range given no significant change in driving style. I wouldn't do it often, but there were times where driveing another 20~30 miles without fillup would have been totally worth it. (I have the sport package, though I doubt that matters for this)
>>
>>16445553
No, use what your manual recommends.
>>
>>16445553
Yes, it's safe
No, it won't give you more range.

Higher octane just means the fuel burns slower, to prevent pinging. It has nothing to do with the energy capacity of the fuel.
Just use whatever is recommended in the owner's manual.
>>
>>16444363
No there is no emissions testing here
>>
>>16437128
run distilled water and flush it out tomorrow with oem coolant
>>
>>16445499
I havnt checked 1&2 yet, but yes
>>
>>16445038
I think the main drawback here, aside from the cost and time associated with refitting a car each time with different hardware for different events, is longevity.
You can't track and rally your car too much before it starts falling apart.

It's like lighting a candle on both sides, it works better for its intended purpose, but it lasts a lot less.

It's not just a matter of "eh..I'll just buy a new chassis and swap everything from the dead car", because a failure could lead to an accident and that accident could destroy other valuable components that still have useful life in them, and this is especially true if you start reusing other stuff than just the engine and the chassis for multiple events, like suspension components.

IMO, it makes more sense to buy two cars and fitting each of them for their respective discipline, you are going to buy all the hardware twice anyway, but at least you can keep track of their health much better and will save a lot of time.
Not to mention that the frequent swap of parts may or may not lead to mistakes that are going to cost you a lot.
>>
>>16445561
>>16445565
That is the funny thing, the Manual didn't say but the dealer (who didn't seem to understand my question) just said to use the regular stuff, but it should be able to take most blends without problems.
Needless to say I didn't trust him much, given how much I spent on it.

So I just keep using regular.

>>16445565
After read some more, as I could have sworn it had something to do with the oxygen stoichiometric which effects the energy rate.

Turns out it is just a convoluted way to state the compression ratio needed to burn the fuel.

So it has no bearing on energy output as different fuels can have energy level and compression ignition rating affected by other factors.
>>
File: WP_20160709_002.jpg (2MB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160709_002.jpg
2MB, 1456x2592px
>>16429237
What am i in for ?
>>
>>16446480
What is that, a K? R?

Change the oil and dump some extra detergents in there. You can find them at auto parts stores near the fuel additives.
>>
>>16446562
T
think i'll clean it the best i can with a degreaser and some labor, then regular oil change with a bit of diesel before flushing and that should do it

I only fear that a chunk of cooked oil will clog the the oil flow, since it's meant to be abused
>>
File: 0900c1528004fbf1.gif (131KB, 1000x778px) Image search: [Google]
0900c1528004fbf1.gif
131KB, 1000x778px
>>16446862
I would suggest taking the rocker assembly off, but that's held on by the head bolts. Thanks, Toyota.

Yeah I think your plan is the best you can do without tearing everything apart lol
>>
My car somewhat harshly vibrates when stopped in drive, in park the vibration stops.
>>
What could be causing this
>>
I have a 33 year old car in need of a paint job, I don't want to settle for the maaco job, but I'm having trouble rationalizing a paint job that exceeds the market value of the car.

Right now it's in 4 colors so pretty much anything would be an upgrade. How much quality do I REALLY sacrifice by going to maaco? I initially thought just gloss black would be fine, just to get it to a base level and knock off a rust spot, but a metallic blue with a black hood, black trim, black sunroof cover and black hatch would be best. That's what? 2 grand at a maaco?

Who here has had paint jobs done at shops? I know everyone has a friend that does paint, I'm not going to the paint friend.
>>
>>16446953
your trans/motor mounts a shit
>bonus points: torque converter also a shit

>>16446994
that's not a bug it's a feature

>>16447415
rattlecan respray can be a 7/10
and you'll actually learn something for less than $150
so maybe you can stop shitposting
about how much a respray costs
and actually learn what a quote is
and how to use a phone
>>
File: maverick 2.jpg (931KB, 2764x2073px) Image search: [Google]
maverick 2.jpg
931KB, 2764x2073px
>>16447415
>>16447856
>7/10

Yeah, it's possible. Just don't go cheap on the rattle cans.

The hood was rattle canned.

Gloss black or really any darker gloss color will show dents like a motherfucker, see pic.
>>
oil preference? Synthetic, Conventional? Blend? High Mileage?
>>
If your car is able to maintain a higher speed at the same rpm as a lower speed (lets say 70 at the same rpm as 60) would the vehicle be using more gas at the higher speed? If so, would it be very much of a difference?
>>
File: 1452113764245.jpg (210KB, 600x872px) Image search: [Google]
1452113764245.jpg
210KB, 600x872px
>>16448251
really depends on the vehicle, it's condition, and the performance you want out of it
>high mileage is gud for vehicles that consume/leak oil
>synthetic is gud for hooning or long service intervals
>conventional is cheap and works fine
>blend is benefits of syn. (more uniform oil molecules) with benefits of regular (cheap)
>>
File: 020.png (63KB, 531x530px) Image search: [Google]
020.png
63KB, 531x530px
>>16448406
>maintaining higher speeds
okay
>at the same RPM as lower speed
this is unpossible unless you're going down a hill or are an car hacker, see pic related
>will it use more gas?
if going down hill, no; it will use less gas
>>
>>16442502
Where the fuck are you that you're finding all these old cars in relatively good condition? Where i am they would both be piles of rust. Lucky fuck.

That said if you really are a poor student that may be a pain in the ass, who knows if MAF is all that's srong with it. If you want a fun wagon you could try a 2.2 subaru (not 2.5)
>>
>>16448469
>this is unpossible
Taller overdrive
Larger tires
Taller final drive ratio
>>
When I downshift to slow down, say at a green light right turn, the deceleration feels less 'controlled' than just braking, but if i only brake then im in too high gear for turn. What is the proper procedure.
>>
>>16448434
i usually do conventional just because its cheapest, but I've been getting pushed towards synthetic personally.
>>
>>16448521
>moving goalposts
have fun with your transmission rebuild
I have larger wheels and tires than stock, they don't change gas consumption much for freeway speeds but getting them rolling does take more rpms which equals gas
>>
>>16448540
brake then downshift before turn
>>
>>16448544
synthetic pays for itself in regards to longer service intervals
if you don't have leaks or consumption issues I'd highly recommend it
just make sure you invest in a quality filter
>>
>>16448469
Just did it though
>set CC on lower speed, check rpm. >Speed up to higher speed, ease off gas until barely maintaining the speed, set CC again.
>check rpm and see that anon on /o has no idea what theyre talking about
>>
>>16448582
I'm not moving goalposts, I'm laying out some real-world ways of lowering RPMs.
4.10 gears in your pickup? Swap the gears for a 3.73 set.
Tiny 215/70-15 tires? Put some 235/75s on.
No overdrive in the trans? Swap that Borg Warner T98 for a 5-speed Spicer.
No lockup torque converter? Swap your THM350 for a 700R4.

>does take more rpms
lol automatic
>>
>>16448625
sounds about right. Sadly I can't change my oil at my house because of home owners, so I'll have to figure out what filters they use at the garage
>>
>>16448469
porque converters do this, though. anything under 60mph for me I'm still at 2,000rpm, depending on where my foot is on the throttle. I think that's what he was asking
>>
I have an 09 altima and I've been hearing clicking noises coming from the engine area of the car. This noise only comes while I'm on the road, and more specifically when I'm accelerating, though you can still hear light clicks while it is decelerating. I put the car in neutral and accelerated for a bit to make sure the clicking was coming from the engine, and it wasnt, there was no clicking noises while accelerating on neutral. Also, I recently had two ignition coils replaced.
anyone know what the problem could be? the car has been running fine, even though the clicking has been there for over a month now.
>>
File: AE86.jpg (380KB, 994x673px) Image search: [Google]
AE86.jpg
380KB, 994x673px
Is this a good price for an AE86?

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/5950007656.html
>>
>>16447856
What if I wanted paint that will last, look good, and protect the car?

I mean yeah it's retarded to ask /o/ for a spray quote but I didn't really ask that, I asked primarily about maaco jobs and experiences having shit done at a shop.

I might try out the rattlecan method on a car I cared less about
>>
>>16449462
Rustoleum.
http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint.html
>>
can i fix it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgPhUjsFwKM
>>
>>16447415
just go to the paint friend, because the quality you get with the kind of cheap-o shops you are looking at is about the same.
>>
Took my new old shitbox on the highway for the first time today 1-4 where fine but in 5th gear at 65-70 the stick started to vibrate noticeably.
Is that normal for manual transmissions?
>>
File: 1480515362034.jpg (187KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1480515362034.jpg
187KB, 750x750px
This is for anyone familiar with early 4D56T engines.

Would it be worth swapping the standard turbo from it with the wastegate-style turbo from a 4M41? I'd also get a larger exhaust, and have the pump timed and tuned, would this make a really significant difference in power? I'm looking for more takeoff power and highway cruising power, so engine swaps like the 2.8L 4M40 or the commodore V6 might also be considered.
>>
>>16449477
I saw a dude do that to his miata once. Worst thing ever, really. I mean it's fine for a track car but the car in question for me is like a restoration so I want to get as good as I can for the budget.
>>
>>16449491
Yas normal

Might mitigate it by changing shifter bushings or engine/tranny mounts
>>
https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/26614368

What's the catch, why is this M3 so cheap?
>>
>>16449687
The owner got smart and decided to dump his terrible, broken, eurocuck moneypit on someone else?
>>
File: 23498793.jpg (10KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
23498793.jpg
10KB, 300x300px
>>16435037
What kind of spark tests do you want to do? These pens are $5 and tell you which plugs are sparking or not. Induction my nigger.
>>
>>16441328
People will think you're a gook and laugh.
>>
>>16448406
I assume you mean that the difference in speed is after a gear change, because it is impossible for a car to go at two different speeds and having the same rpm while staying on the same gear (unless it's a CVT).

Anyway, to answer your question: it depends.
If you consider fuel used per unit time like L/h the consumption will be different, with the slower car using less fuel.
The car going at higher speed might suck up more air than the car going slower (because of intake design), thus using a little bit more fuel just for that, also the car going faster has to fight more air to go forward, further increasing its consumption. There are a lot of other variables, but generally going faster with the same rpm means using more fuel PER UNIT TIME

If you consider fuel used per unit of distance (like the metric unit of consumption L/100km) then it's even more complicated.
This value is mostly dependant on speed. A car going slower takes more time to cover the same distance, thus using more fuel for that distance.
For low-medium speeds the faster you go and the less fuel you use PER UNIT DISTANCE at the same rpm.
However, there is a balance point where the increase in speed is lower than the increase in engine load caused (mainly) by air drag. Past that point, any further increase in speed will still give you an increase in fuel consumption.
Where that balance point is located depends on the efficiency of the car (aero design, frictions, etc.) And is different for every car. A small city car will probably have that point lower on the speedometer than a sleek sport car.

Keep in mind the Imperial unit mpg or the metric Km/L are no different than L/100km, they all have the same dependency on speed, but the first two prefer to highlight the distance rather than the amount of fuel and their trends are reversed (mpg or Km/L number increases with better fuel consumption, L/100km number decreases with better fuel consumption).
>>
>>16449687
Typo or its salvage
>>
>>16449299
Check your oil level. It's probably lifter tick
>>
>>16450328
>lifter tick

He said the tick doesn't change if he gives gas in neutral.
It has to be something else, probably somewhere in the driveline from the gearbox onwards.
Seems like the tick goes with the car's speed.

It might be something as stupid as debris caught up on a shaft or something bigger like a failing CV joiny
>>
File: DSCN0371.jpg (747KB, 1843x1382px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0371.jpg
747KB, 1843x1382px
is that notch the reason I was getting low compression?

secondary, a good site to get oem d-series pistons
>>
My brakes started to make a grinding noise a few days ago meaning I will definitely have to replace my brake pads. How expensive is this gonna be and is there a chance the actual brake disc got damaged? I can't take it in today but I will tomorrow first thing in the morning.
>>
>>16450541
>no info on car
>no info on location
>Posing a question that can be answered by literally leaning in front of a wheel and looking at the part in question
>Asking other people for quotes despite the total lack of information

Retards, everyone
>>
>>16450712
Yup, shit questions DO exist
>>
>>16429237
I'm buying a used car but I'm getting my mom to be a primary driver for now since I'm under 25.

would an insurance company believe that my mom wants to get a mazdaspeed6? It's still a 4 door.
>>
>>16446941
I'm a noob when it comes to wrenching, but pulling off the head shouldn't be too hard with a manual, since it's OHV. But i'd like to avoid doing this, because that would mean letting the car sit in the shed for another month
>>
>>16450367
is there any way I can check either of those on my own?
>>
>>16437359
just give it more time to cure if you're worried. It'll harden eventually.

It might take longer to cure what with it being winter and all.
>>
Have any of you guys gave in to trading in your current car for a new one at the dealer? How long have you waited before finding a private party to sell to?
>>
>>16451286
CV joint can be checked by getting a bit of speed (enough for the noise to be noticeable) and doing long left and right turn.
A broken CV joint makes more noise when it's loaded, so if you hear the noise increasing when doing a left turn, then it means the RHS joints may be bad.

Also try some full-lock turns at very low speed (like when you are parking), it's not a guarantee, but if you hear a lot of noise there, it means your external joints are bad.
Combine the two tests to determine which of the 4 CV joints are bad.

The diagnosis may be a bit more difficult if the car is 4WD, but you can at least guess the side with the left-right high speed turns.

You can also take a look under the car and look at the rubber boots surrounding the CV joints, if they are punctured and there is a lot of grease around them, then you have probably found the problem.

Also try to make sure the noise goes with wheel speed as opposed to engine speed, but you seem already pretty sure of that.
>>
>>16429237
How much abuse will a car get if I'm trying to learn manual?

I want to get a manual car as my first car.
>>
>>16451951
don't be deliberately abusive and you'll be fine.

going 2-3-4-5 is the easy part. most people just have a hard time with 1st and 2nd gear and moving from a stop.
>>
>>16429237
What kind of name is Alphonse? Sounds super dee duper gay. Has nobody every noticed this?
>>
Do worn bushings make creaky/squeaky noises?
>>
>>16452318
Yes
>>
>>16452509
Are they expensive to replace?
>>
>>16452514
Not the parts, the labor is the worst part
>>
is it bad to start in 2nd gear from a stop if your cars ratios can do it without feeling weird?

essentially, i just use 2nd as my first gear
>>
>>16452591
>guys is it bad that I don't use that one gear that is supposed to be there specifically to make me move from a standstill with the minimum amount of clutch wear?

Jeez man, I wonder
>>
>>16452591
>not starting in third

git gud
>>
File: t98_specs_gasket.gif (32KB, 270x401px) Image search: [Google]
t98_specs_gasket.gif
32KB, 270x401px
>>16452626
T-98 though.
Look at the reduction in first.
>>
Should you go drifting if you're a 62 year old man with a dodgy ticker?
>>
>>16452982
Might as well go out with a bang
>>
>>16452982
everyone should do a skid once in a while
>>
File: 7391113_orig.png (114KB, 398x453px) Image search: [Google]
7391113_orig.png
114KB, 398x453px
say I get a car and get into some sort of racing.
why would I remove a stock steering wheel with an airbag that would otherwise prevent me from slamming my head into the steering wheel and giving me whiplash in an accident?
do racing steering wheels give you any advantages whatsoever?
>>
I want to get a repu as a work truck/project. I'll be building a cabin over the next few summers and want something I can carry around concrete/lumber/gravel/etc in. Was also considering a datsun 620 but I like the repu more. Anyone here have one?
>>
File: 1472388965149.jpg (53KB, 351x364px) Image search: [Google]
1472388965149.jpg
53KB, 351x364px
I want to start doing my own oil changes. I'm tired of taking 90 dollars for an oil change

Is it a good idea to buy one of these?
http://www.ezoildrainvalve.com/

I'm so afraid of over tightening and I only have hand tools. I don't wan to put hundreds into air tools yet.

Also I can't find one for my car. How can I find out the thread and just order that thread?
>>
>>16453194
Racing wheels are for cars that use proper racing seats and 4 point harnesses.

If you don't have that then buying a racing wheel is just asking for you to lose your teeth in an accident.

And its for weight savings as well emergencies as they have quick release in event of a fire.
>>
>>16453258
If you ever use an air tool on an oil drain, you're fucking asking to strip it.

A good rule to go by is tighten it enough to where its starts to give you resistance and then a whole to half turn past that.

Personally no I would not use those on my vehicles.
>>
>>16452553
This, they're a bitch to replace usually.
>>
>>16453290
>4 point harness
4 point harness still doesn't hold my head back from lurching forward
that would be some sort of helmet that latches to the headrest and that just sounds stupid
>>
>>16450367
If the oil is just low enough, when stopped the car will have sufficient oil to lubricate, but under acceleration the oil will slosh and uncover the oil pump enough to where its pulling nothing.
>>
>>16453339
No but it keeps most of your mass from moving forward unlike that of a normal passenger vehicle.

And no you won't have the wheel inches from your face when racing.
>>
Is running your car for 15 minutes if you havent used in a while during the winter a meme?

I did a brief google search and I saw some sites saying that I could be bad for your car.
>>
>>16453258
>afraid of over tightening

Ever heard of a torque wrench?
>>
>>16453374
No.
You either need to start your car and drive it around a few miles or put it on a battery maintainer.
>>
>>16453431
Ever heard of stripped threads?
>>
>replace antifreeze in 88 volvo 240
> let old shit run out
> all kinds of colors mixed
> some rust runs out
> fill it back up
> should take 9,5 liters
>takes 7 liters
shouldi be woried? its not over heating. should i flush the system and whats the best way to do it?
>>
>>16453471
No reason to be worried per say if you keep an eye on it and fill it. After you run the car a bit the fluid will move around and the levels will lower
if you're worried about the rust try what I did
I ran it for around 20 miles or so after my first change to get stuff moving and emptied it back out
I refilled it with just water and let it run for a bit to get things circulating, emptied, refilled, but also had some radiator cleaner in with it. I didnt use antifreeze because thats a waste of money. Ran it with heater on full blast for about 20 minutes, added water as needed because i used the full bottle of cleaner
after all that was said and done i flushed it a few more times with tap water till it ran clear
once it was fully running clear I refilled it using 50% antifreeze 50% distilled water
I also took my overfill jug out and used dish soap to completely scrub it clean. Make sure you get all the soap out of course when you put it back in and fill it with the 50/50 up to the line
>>
if i'm going to start repairing my car, I need to get some ramps. Are the walmart rhino ramps for $40 any good?
is there something else you guys would recommend instead for close to that price.
>>
>>16450476
>is that notch the reason I was getting low compression?
doubtful. Form the gunk on that piston that engine probably had 200,000 miles on it. Worn out rings, man.
>>
>>16454271
Theres been a whole thread about this but Jackstands > ramps.

You can't repair much with just ramps.
>>
04 RX8 as a starter car,

Y/N and Why
>>
>>16453471
There's a good chance you've still got some old coolant sitting in the block, depending on where you drained it from. It's usually difficult to totally drain a cooling system.

As for flushing, that depends - do you have an air compressor or not? It sounds like your car would benefit from a proper flush, given the crap that came out.
>>
>>16455888
N

Requires mechanical knowledge and has high maintenance

Try a miata instead
>>
File: it'll buff out i know what i got.jpg (436KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
it'll buff out i know what i got.jpg
436KB, 1600x1200px
Is there a website you can go to to specifically buy wrecked/damaged cars?
>>
do we have swedish anon? is there sites i can go for cool rwd volvo parts, and maybe forums to check out projects of people rwd volvos?
>>
>>16456148
Just google something like 'car auctions (your state)', that'll get you started.
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.