[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where should I go for car repairs? My parents bought me a brand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: 1482161669566.gif (996KB, 245x142px) Image search: [Google]
1482161669566.gif
996KB, 245x142px
Where should I go for car repairs?

My parents bought me a brand new car when I was young and we always took it to the dealer for maintenance, but now that I'm on my own I'd rather not spend extra cash just to take it to the dealer.

One of the brake lights went out and I need a new side mirror and I also have a dent and scratch I'd eventually like fixed
>>
>>16423760
>One of the brake lights went out

There's no excuse for not knowing how to change bulbs on your own car.

>and I need a new side mirror

Almost always doable at home, even with electric mirrors. In fact, electric mirrors are probably easier because it's just a case of plugging in the wire loom.
>>
>>16423778

This.

Get googling Anon, your life of automotive tinkering has just begun.
>>
>>16423778
How do I know if it was a bulb that went out?
>>
>>16423797

Check the bulb, if the fuse wire is broken, the bulb needs replacing.
>>
>>16423797

This >>16423804

Take the bulb out and look at the filament. If it's not in one piece, swap for a new bulb. Alternatively, take the bulb out of the other brake light and test it.
>>
>>16423797
Half the time you can't check.
Just reverse up to a wall at night, apply brakes and see which light doesn't work then replace it. Bulbs are cheap.

Also with headlight bulbs, always handle by the base, don't touch the glass.
>>
>>16423760
>Where should I go for car repairs?
You don't have to go anywhere. Just get the parts online and do it in your driveway
>>
File: IMG_20170103_144651040.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170103_144651040.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
Ty all, sorry for being such a newfag

My side rearview mirror popped out completely and was just hanging by the wires (i hit an apt gate while rushing on a delivery). I tried to pop it in by hand but it jiggles when i drive on the highway
>>
>>16423883
nvm i fixed the mirror :x

back to the original question, where to go for cheap repairs? also where to go to fix a dent? and the big ass scratch i can just buy something to wipe it down with to make it go away?
>>
File: mirror.jpg (427KB, 1456x819px) Image search: [Google]
mirror.jpg
427KB, 1456x819px
>>16423883

It looks like the mirror isn't broken, you just need to make sure the three balls are pushed properly into their respective clips. If it was jiggling around, you probably only got the center clip in.
>>
>>16423901
>back to the original question, where to go for cheap repairs?

Whatever local (but trustworthy) garage you've got. Most non-dealer garages will still fit OEM parts.

>also where to go to fix a dent?
>and the big ass scratch i can just buy something to wipe it down with to make it go away?

Depends on how bad they are. The scratch in particular, you might be able to buff that out if it's not a deep one. Got any pics?
>>
>>16423778
I installed a new bulb and now neither brake light works. Im at Pep Boys rn and they say I probably shorted the circuit installing the new bulb. Im waitin rn for them to ru a diagnostics
>>
File: 1483479756349262537980.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
1483479756349262537980.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>16423970
>>
>>16424159

You'll be able to clean it up a little, but there's no buffing that out, that needs sanding/respraying and it looks like the bumper is somewhat deformed as well as it's not making a great seal around the headlight anymore.

Honestly though, unless you've got the cash burning a hole in your pocket i'd leave it...

>i hit an apt gate while rushing on a delivery

>delivery

If you're using the vehicle for deliveries it's just the first of many war wounds to come.

Also slow down, you're not going to make up any time rushing or speeding anywhere, but you will damage your car, hit someone or accrue tickets like a mother fucker.
>>
>>16424159

Yeah, what the other guy said, that's a pretty serious scuff. That would need a full filling, sanding and respray at a body shop. It may be cheaper to simply find a new bumper (in the same colour) at a wrecker's yard or on ebay - it also won't affect your car's eventual resale value like bodywork will.

>Im at Pep Boys rn and they say I probably shorted the circuit installing the new bulb.

How is that even possible? There's only one way a bulb can go into its receiver, and unless you had the ignition on and someone pressing the brakes while you were installing it, there shouldn't be any current in the circuit (and thus nothing to short). It sounds like you either did something pretty dumb, or they can tell you know literally nothing about cars and are trying to dupe you.
>>
>>16423901
>crashing
Kill yourself faggot.
>>
>>16424325
>unless you had the ignition on and someone pressing the brakes while you were installing it, there shouldn't be any current in the circuit (and thus nothing to short).
damn thats what i did i think... i bought the bulbs, and put the new one in, and then turned the electricity on without turning the engine on, and i pumped the brakes to see if it worked, and it didnt work, and i tried again and then both lights went black, the center brake light was workin though

payed $8 for the bulb then $44 for an electrical diagnostics

i was askin them, should i just not fuckin change my own bulbs?, and they didnt seem to give me a str8 answer, they just said stuff like that happens all the time
>>
>>16423760
>Where should I go for car repairs?
Your public library probably subscribes to chiltons, haynes, or alldata car service manuals. Check there to see if they have automobile service manuals. The alldata one is online, but public libraries typically have free printing if you have a library account.

As for finding out what parts you need, you can go online to various major auto store websites and use them to cross-reference check parts numbers or to see what part they recommend as the equivalent substitute. No guarantee it is the exact replacement or proper fit, but chances are good when you get the same result when using multiple sites and they all indicate the same thing. Of course use common sense too.
>>
>>16423760
Bulbs are fairly cheap. You can check which bulb number is used at the online auto shops for o'reilly, autozone, pep boys, etcetera. You'll also get a price. You can then go to wal-mart.com for a comparision price. You can use the walmart in-retail-store bulb catalog and bulb computer they have at the car parts department. It should indicate the same bulb number you got online.

At that point, you can decide to buy it or not. Walmart.com allows you to ship parts to the retail store for free so you can go there to pick them up. Since walmart.com has far more products than the retail store, it is a good way to extend the merchandise selection of your local walmart retail store if going to such a place is convenient.

>i was askin them, should i just not fuckin change my own bulbs?, and they didnt seem to give me a str8 answer, they just said stuff like that happens all the time
Have no idea what that means because words or phrases like "askin them", "str8 answer" and "stuff" requires us to read your mind as to what was done. No one can help you when you hide the details. Heck, I don't even know what the specific problem is only that there is vaguely some light problem.
>>
I love how literally no one answered this guy's question

Not everything is DIY you fucking faggots
>>
>>16423797
These are the people you're buying used cars off of. You should be taking the bus, OP.
>>
File: Sad Frog Had Enough.jpg (64KB, 803x688px) Image search: [Google]
Sad Frog Had Enough.jpg
64KB, 803x688px
>>16425867
Literally everything is DIY unless you're some transqueer ford driving shitnozzle without half a brain. This board is full of cucks.
>>
File: DIY.jpg (69KB, 500x810px) Image search: [Google]
DIY.jpg
69KB, 500x810px
>>16425867

>Not everything is DIY you fucking faggots

>Changing bulbs

>Not DIY

Pic related, the only DIY you'll ever need anon.
>>
>not knowing what Yelp or Google reviews are
Do you live in a cave?
>>
>>16428639
Savage
>>
>>16423760
>My parents bought me a brand new car
My parents bought
Spoiled shit

>A brand new car
Fuck off

>One of the brake lights went out and I need a new side mirror and I also have a dent and scratch I'd eventually like fixed

Then buy a new bulb, and replace

>And I also have a dent and scratch I'd eventually like fixed
Then fix it alre...
>And I also have a dent and scratch
You said it was a brand new car.

Shit like you shouldn't have a car.
People younger than 18-20 shouldn't have cars since they know shit about traffic laws and cars.
If you live in USA you really never learn traffic laws since your infrastructure is shit.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.